1048 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
survivor says

Well here is the story.

I have spotted 1 author which tries to sell free styles from another author on deviantart. I’ve commented it on item page and reported my own comment to bring this to Envato attention. Next day I’ve seen this file is out of marketplace. Good job.

Then I just checked his/her portfolio and tried to copy+paste the link of picture to google pictures. This way I have found all his 4 items in porfolio are selling on other marketplaces from 4 different authors. That means that all 4 items are stolen and has been simple downloaded from giraffe sites and published here for sale.

I’ve made the 1st step against the forum rules, that I’ve posted about this author here on forums – it was locked, link deleted, but unfortunately nothing happens? Files still online? User still selling? Who ever locked it and deleted the link, didn’t do anything to stop it…

I said ok… I’ll try to comment on his items and report my comments. So I’ve commented all those items and reported two of my comments to bring this to Envato’s attention again.

Now guess what happends?

After 2 days – all his files are still online and my comments were unflagged. Again whoever unflagged my comments didnt do anything to those files….

Well now You can tell me to contact support? No I won’t ! From now I’ll be passing by as Envato is, until the case will be 1 of my own items.

Dunno if I can say it, but any1 interested in clearing these items – check the 5th file in Icons category. (green and red).

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Okay something isn’t right here – you join the list of now 8, yes 8 different threads (including this one) complaining about the same issue.

This needs to be looked into as a matter of urgency and a resolution, such as a dedicated abuse team who are able to deal with all abuse claims within 24 hours, as clearly, support is failing at this area.

Here are the links to the threads (which was posted coincidentally in another related thread):

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/my-work-stolen-and-selling-on-themeforest/81024
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/how-do-you-protect-against-piracy/81006
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/copyright-infringement/80979
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/dmca-notice-and-how-to-secure-your-applications-from-piracy-download/80825
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/piracy-issue/80829
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/copyright-infringement/80830

Original reply (and the other thread):

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/a-question-of-ethics-or-contributory-copyright-theft-/81015?page=2#680927

Here is the item in question: [link removed by censorship police] I feel it’s important for authors whom are doing this to be named and shamed, as well as the reviewers who are very poor in spotting these files.

Note to mods: oh I do wish you were as quick to remove the files as quickly as you removed my link there.

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

It shouldn’t even be the job of authors to police the marketplace. There should be dedicated staff for this called the Envato Sheriffs or something. Or the reviewers could be given enough time to check each item they review.

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Took me about 1 maybe 2 minutes to find the item you’re talking about, put it through google images and find tons of places it’s being sold, why can’t reviewers do it?

5559 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

We have a detailed response in the works. Our Reviewers are not copyright police so these kinds of things will slip through, and it’s the reason we ask you to report them to Support rather than the forum.

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Took me about 1 maybe 2 minutes to find the item you’re talking about, put it through google images and find tons of places it’s being sold, why can’t reviewers do it?

It’s a non exclusive account on Envato so it can be sold elsewhere. What they need to ascertain is if it’s the same person selling it on other sites.

1048 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+6 more
survivor says

It’s a non exclusive account on Envato so it can be sold elsewhere. What they need to ascertain is if it’s the same person selling it on other sites.

You are right, it is nonexclusive account, but every item is from another user on the one marketplace.

8271 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

Note to mods: oh I do wish you were as quick to remove the files as quickly as you removed my link there.

As mods the only ‘power’ we have is to edit your posts and lock or disable a thread, that’s it. We are here to try and ensure the forum rules are adhered to, not remove files and chase copyright issues. That’s a support job. We are not support.

8271 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

You are right, it is nonexclusive account, but every item is from another user on the one marketplace.

and how can you be so sure it’s not the same user selling under different names on difference marketplaces?

2104 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says

We have a detailed response in the works. Our Reviewers are not copyright police so these kinds of things will slip through, and it’s the reason we ask you to report them to Support rather than the forum.

It may be a good idea to do a google image search using the image preview as an easy level of catching blatant copyright problems and would take little extra time.

by
by
by
by
by
by