5939 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

The problem with any new rating system is – it is impossible to convert an existing system into different one! If a buyer rates a 3 star for an item today, how it will be displayed when the format changed in to “Like” system? All of you who thinks about a new rating system should start from this question.

likes = ratings*(stars-1)/4

But, as mentioned earlier, i’d prefer a “Was this comment helpful to you? yes/no” solution.

In reality, even a buyer who rates 3 star doesn’t necessarily know if it is positive, negative or neutral. Trying to segregate it in to a “like / dislike” count is a best way to lose credibility among long term buyers.

Regarding the comment Yes/No option that is fine and also completly different from ratings.

3225 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

i think there also needs to be a system to encourage people to rate items, a lot of time is people like something they don’t tend to rate things, but if they dislike it they scream and tell the world about it.

Im not sure what everyones rating percentages(ratings/buys) are, but I think they are pretty low comparatively Envato/authors should be pushing for 50-70% ratings that would also help eliminate the 1 or two users who threaten “bad ratings” as they’d get canceled out by real ratings(good or bad)

EDIT: I did a quick run through of the authors in this thread and it seems its roughly 10-15% which is pretty horrible

5939 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

i think there also needs to be a system to encourage people to rate items, a lot of time is people like something they don’t tend to rate things, but if they dislike it they scream and tell the world about it.

In the downloads page, below each items rating, adding the following text would help:

Case 1:
Please rate this item!

Case 2:
You rated 5 Star!

Also showing Dreamhost link below each of the Download button and ratings isn’t best way to respect a buyer. Just have one big Button (or even a banner) for Dream Host in the bottom of the downloads page and give some clearance for ratings to appear in front of buyers.

5337 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I’ve never encouraged or asked a buyer to rate. And I think the result is I only get people who either love the item or hate it rating. And thankfully the former outweighs the latter.

Also showing Dreamhost link below each of the Download button and ratings isn’t best way to respect a buyer. Just have one big Button (or even a banner) for Dream Host in the bottom of the downloads page and give some clearance for ratings to appear in front of buyers.

Always hated that affiliate thing. I think they are going to replace it…. with MicroLancer :D

506 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

After all these years, do you believe there’s the slightest chance envato is willing to invest the man power and time needed by a rating system like amazon ? Seriously ? Just get real.

But we are willing to invest in it :)

506 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

The problem with any new rating system is – it is impossible to convert an existing system into different one! If a buyer rates a 3 star for an item today, how it will be displayed when the format changed in to “Like” system? All of you who thinks about a new rating system should start from this question.

Glad you raised this, it was definitely on my mind.

506 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

Agreed! There’s some bigger areas to address first, but we’ve talked about encouraging reviews from the purchase email and a follow-up email ~30 days after purchase. The downloads page could have this emphasised a bit more too.

1593 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says

I’ll just leave this here:

by
by
by
by