6028 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain. What I can tell you is that we’re really close to wrapping up some current projects, and ratings is sitting right at the top of the work to dig into next. A huge part of this will be re-reading the mountain of feedback we’ve already collected and community consultation on the changes we’ll be making. I’ll let the community know when this starts.

Thanks for responding. After a long wait and to avoid getting surprised or shocked after changes made on rating system, can we get confirmation if the following issues are already in the consideration?

Transparency 1: When the user places mouse over the item rating, more detail displayed:
http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/the-rating-system/33411 \\

Transparency 2: Show also half stars, no integers please. If an item has average of 4.4, currently it will show 4 stars. An item having 4.5+ will have 5 stars or something like this. If a buyer always chooses a 5 star item, most probably he/she is forced to choose a 4.5 starred item too indirectly. From an author point of view, a guy/girl who can sleep well with 4.4 rating may loss sleep when it displayed using just 4 stars. Both cases are gamble – not average.

The number of marketplace items are several times higher than couple of years back. The sales number of individual items started touching completely different range than before. So adding accuracy / detail to the ratings is the single most obvious/easy change we can expect. And importantly, it is just front end addition – not much of a complex work.

7613 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain.

can you tell us what are you (dev team) doing meanwhile?

80 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
urbanray says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain.
can you tell us what are you (dev team) doing meanwhile?

Making vidoes for Kriesi :delicious:

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
bloooming says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain. What I can tell you is that we’re really close to wrapping up some current projects, and ratings is sitting right at the top of the work to dig into next. A huge part of this will be re-reading the mountain of feedback we’ve already collected and community consultation on the changes we’ll be making. I’ll let the community know when this starts.

Thanks for responding. After a long wait and to avoid getting surprised or shocked after changes made on rating system, can we get confirmation if the following issues are already in the consideration?

Transparency 1: When the user places mouse over the item rating, more detail displayed:

Transparency 2: Show also half stars, no integers please. If an item has average of 4.4, currently it will show 4 stars. An item having 4.5+ will have 5 stars or something like this. If a buyer always chooses a 5 star item, most probably he/she is forced to choose a 4.5 starred item too indirectly. From an author point of view, a guy/girl who can sleep well with 4.4 rating may loss sleep when it displayed using just 4 stars. Both cases are gamble – not average.

The number of marketplace items are several times higher than couple of years back. The sales number of individual items started touching completely different range than before. So adding accuracy / detail to the ratings is the single most obvious/easy change we can expect. And importantly, it is just front end addition – not much of a complex work.

Transparency 3: Every rating requires a short review in order to justify it. There will be less ratings, but at least they will be accurate.

107 posts quanticalabs.com
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
QuanticaLabs says

Half-star average ratings would be good too. As illustrated by the comic above, 4.0 stars is not nearly as impressive as 4.5 stars! Seriously.

That’s the point!

810 posts We're a nice team!
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
ThemeFocus says

Transparency 3: Every rating requires a short review in order to justify it. There will be less ratings, but at least they will be accurate.

+1.

495 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

This whole star rating thing, without buyer reputation, just sucks. We just got one buyer raging in item comment, rating one star and warn others not to buy a plugin because we didn’t add a feature which was never mentioned in description nor showcased in the preview.

No matter how well you show those stars, as long as you allow some buyers to destroy rating of your items just because they can or to blackmail authors (especially new ones) in order to get free customization, the rating system will keep sucking.

Either introduce reputation, allow author to dispute bad ratings or get rid of the whole star thing and replace with a like system.

BF

203 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
ikaruna says

Well this might not be required anymore, just saw on Envato Notes, that they are launching a new website “Microlancer”, my guess is that buyers can have all sorts of small customisation there, that kind that are requested every day.

jayc

1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Well this might not be required anymore, just saw on Envato Notes, that they are launching a new website “Microlancer”, my guess is that buyers can have all sorts of small customisation there, that kind that are requested every day. jayc
Yeah but they had that already, they are not looking to pay for services, if you ask them, that’s already included. They own you.
6028 posts
+8 more
VF says

Well this might not be required anymore, just saw on Envato Notes, that they are launching a new website “Microlancer”, my guess is that buyers can have all sorts of small customisation there, that kind that are requested every day. jayc

That wont change the buyers who purchases item here. Those who blackmails with star rating are the ones who believe they hired author while purchasing item. If they try the same customization jobs to be done through different developer, it may take atleast more than 2x times item price + formal efforts for communication etc. Fearful authors are the best luxury for certain buyers.

by
by
by
by
by
by