• United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

When the user places mouse over the item rating, more detail displayed:
http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/the-rating-system/33411 \\

The rating breakdown should always be shown, and definitely not be triggered by hover. That content won’t exist on touch devices.

There should be an accurate “calculated rating” like 4.78, then the stars graphic, then the number of reviews. Beneath the rating breakdown add a link to a rating page. Example: http://cl.ly/NQz0

\\

The feedback page should show written feedback associated with each review.

This whole star rating thing, without buyer reputation, just sucks. We just got one buyer raging in item comment, rating one star and warn others not to buy a plugin because we didn’t add a feature which was never mentioned in description nor showcased in the preview.

No matter how well you show those stars, as long as you allow some buyers to destroy rating of your items just because they can or to blackmail authors (especially new ones) in order to get free customization, the rating system will keep sucking.

Either introduce reputation, allow author to dispute bad ratings or get rid of the whole star thing and replace with a like system.

Buyer reputation is absolutely necessary. It’s the reason eBay was so successful at creating trust between strangers.

Even if Envato shows full review stats and requires a review blurb for every rating that still won’t protect against jackasses ranting in a very damaging way. However, if other users could see that this person always rated items badly and complained / demanded free work — then the playing field levels.

The marketplaces have aspects of a social network, but zero accountability. If Envato starts thinking about reputation in a serious way, then the user profile should adapt significantly. Your credibility will be judged by things like items you rated, your review feedback, recent comments on items, and forum interactions. These things are almost entirely invisible currently.

AND…Envato needs to step up getting users who are happy to write reviews. Amazon sends a reminder 30 days after purchase inviting customers to write a review. The rating system is so skewed toward bad experiences because so few people who are happy share it.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

The rating breakdown should always be shown, and definitely not be triggered by hover. That content won’t exist on touch devices.

Yes, that’s the better way to show in the item pages. The hover needed only on other pages where items listed.

173 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wiseguys says

\\

+1

173 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
wiseguys says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain.
can you tell us what are you (dev team) doing meanwhile?

hilarious :))))))))))

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@justinfrench, Would like to put a kind request. When the improvements being decided, please do not replace the star rating with ‘like-dislike’ system. The “one buyer damaging entire product” risk always exist with any format of review system – not just limited to star ratings. The accuracy is something more of a need as marketplaces grow (even needed from past couple years) and it is possible only through star ratings.

For example a buyer can easily compare/weigh two items having 4.50 and 4.90 ratings when both have almost equal number of reviews. Actually the 4.5 to 5.0 is a very wide area (in any marketplace in the internet) and most of the buyers would roll their eye here just before purchasing. So without this particular sophistication, whatever improvements made on rating system may end-up more and more future iterations to reach similar accuracy.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

\\

I’d like to see the stars represent the number’s average, like 3 1/2 stars visible or something. Maybe break it up into 1/5’s, then lose the big number. But I like the idea of having the star breakdown always visible instead of a hover.

@justinfrench, Would like to put a kind request. When the improvements being decided, please do not replace the star rating with ‘like-dislike’ system.

+1

7178 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Hi folks, the rating system needs work, completely agreed. I’ve been listening, we will improve it. The more interesting question is “when?”. I’d love to give you an exact date, but I’ll only do that when I can be certain.

Is not my intention to make fun. I’m just curios. Last year there was a thread explaining what the development team is working on and what are the plans for the next 6 or so months. they also said they will keep us informed periodically but looks like that that plan had been scraped.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Is not my intention to make fun. I’m just curios. Last year there was a thread explaining what the development team is working on and what are the plans for the next 6 or so months. they also said they will keep us informed periodically but looks like that that plan had been scraped.

We will be kept informed only when there is a flame and war and by the moment cannons being rotated towards their face – this is what happens and they never been honest enough to come forward and update things themselves. Empty words costs lower than doing actual things – they seems to be mastered in this art – to continue focus on new services only.

I wish plenty of bad luck and misfortunes towards Envato in such a way that they will spend their resources (not necessarily money but brain) towards balancing efficiency of current services and stop dreaming about adding a 999th new service to replace Apple products. :P

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

Transparency 1: When the user places mouse over the item rating, more detail displayed:

Yes, and no. We understand that we’re missing a lot of detail with an average rating, and that if we stick with a star-based system, we need to show this kind of detail to help buyers make informed decisions. The exact visual implementation (hover, etc) is up for debate though.

Transparency 2: Show also half stars, no integers please. If an item has average of 4.4, currently it will show 4 stars. An item having 4.5+ will have 5 stars or something like this.

Yep :)

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

Of course. The main projects we’re working on now are related to Item Support:

• email notifications to authors when there’s a new comment on their item
  • email notifications to buyers when an item is updated
  • the 100% GPL option that Collis announced end of Feb
  • providing clarity to buyers around item support (I’ll go into more detail about this in a separate thread soon)

We identified Item Support and Ratings as two huge pain points for both authors and buyers (and they’re closely related). We’re far from “done” on Item Support, but we can’t spend all year on one area with so much else to do. I want to take the sting out of Ratings next.

by
by
by
by
by
by