• Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says

Hey,

With no intention whatsoever of bringing a negative air into PhotoDune, I have to say something.

Envato and its overall network, such as the so-beloved tutorial sites and marketplaces, are successful because of the unique content they deliver. The biggest brands are seen with ThemeForest sites and world-wide commercials use AudioJungle tracks – just to mention a few examples.

That said, I feel that PhotoDune should follow that ideology. Having only a few really active weeks, it is just impossible that some authors already have portfolios with over tens of thousands of items. Of course, you may say, it is a stock-footage website and a buyer should find anything; from dogs to cars, to people to buildings and dishes and landscapes, etc. etc. I completely agree with you, but that’s not my point.

My point is that a marketplace such a PhotoDune, that already has major competitors that will not be easily overcome, should aim at a different goal – and that is, offer unique, different-than-the-usual-stock-footage-websites content. This platform was not built to offer millions of files on an author-basis system.

Not only that, but the system PhotoDune carries is the same as the other marketplaces. In other words, it will be impossible to have the popular-files area, or the top-authors area if most products do not even have a second in the front-page. Why? Because massive amounts of photographs are uploaded every minute (to the point where an author gets a portfolio of over 10 thousand files).

In short, I am just trying to say that PhotoDune, as part of the Envato marketplaces, will not succeed unless it mimics the other marketplaces’ system: and that is, offer something different, of high-quality and within a super price-range. And not thousands of thousands of thousands of files, such as major stock-footage competitors.

Just what I had to throw out :)
Take care,

Chris

731 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I have to completely agree with you, though, to be honest, the arguments are strong for both sides, as has been pointed out in the beta launch announcement thread.

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+4 more
crozer says

Definitely, but there are so many other aspects that will not work. Just to give a pretty banal example, imagine you follow a PhotoDune author that uploads hundreds of images per day (or something similar). How would your 3×3 grid containing items from authors you follow look like afterwards?

54 posts
hothoundz says
In short, I am just trying to say that PhotoDune, as part of the Envato marketplaces, will not succeed unless it mimics the other marketplaces’ system: and that is, offer something different, of high-quality and within a super price-range. And not thousands of thousands of thousands of files, such as major stock-footage competitors. Chris

Agree in part, Chris. “Super price range” is the bit that would concern me if I were contributing. The only person that is/was making good money with microstock was Yuri Arcurs with, I believe, as staff of 20 people and a “factory” mentality to producing stock to make a living wage. All the wannabies selling RF for $3 or less are just making pin money and now much less than they used to (what’s the average RPI for micros – .2 – .3 per image?). The markets are saturated and have plummeted, Getty has eaten itself and the stock market and is spitting out the remains of the photographers.

For Envato to copy iStock/Shutterstock and all the rest is not, IMHO , a great idea. Why come to Envato when most of Yuri’s stuff is on iStock? Why sell here when you’re up against an over-saturated market where the rewards for photographers are so small? This isn’t the same market as AD, TF etc.

Envato’s network has been a great idea and hit the markets at the right time – especially Theme Forest and Code Canyon. Envato microstock that looks like any other micro and contains similar content? A missed opportunity.

Additionally, I would say that there may be many who would be happy to have a big publication like Time use their image front-page for $8; but I’m pretty sure they would have been happier if it had been paid at an RM rate.

Final thought – given that image theft, stripping of metadata etc is common, how will image infringement be policed?

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
djile says

I sell photos through other agencies (which have higher experience – for now) and the same photos here as we reject… reason : This image contains spots, dust or discolouration that make it unsuitable for sale on PhotoDune….

I really have no comment, except: until they improve the quality of scouts who review photos, I don’t want spend my time here anymore.

I wish you good luck photodune!

523 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Denmark
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+5 more
Zeplix says
djile said
I sell photos through other agencies (which have higher experience – for now) and the same photos here as we reject… reason : This image contains spots, dust or discolouration that make it unsuitable for sale on PhotoDune….

I really have no comment, except: until they improve the quality of scouts who review photos, I don’t want spend my time here anymore.

I wish you good luck photodune!

This actually makes me happy, because my main complaint with Photodune at the moment is that I feel the quality isn’t high enough. So the fact that you got some files rejected (and seemingly got a bit miffed, I must say! : P) actually sorta makes me happy.

I’ve already had to send a list of over 20 pictures just from one author to the Support, because they were textures and should have been over on GraphicRiver (they were even titled “blablabla texture”). The irony is, that the files would most likely not be accepted on graphicriver, or at least be asked to be put in a bundle, because they aren’t good enough quality.

I also see a lot of authors with TONS of practically IDENTICAL files. One Author had/has around 30 different images of water splashes. Nothing special about them, not on a clean black background, nor perfect for cut outs or anything. Just random water splashes.

So far it seems that some (not all, but some) of the PhotoDune authors get away with sub-par files that wouldn’t be accepted on the other marketplaces, but get to sell them at higher prices at PhotoDune. That just makes no sense.

I also don’t see how it will be able to truly compete with the other major sites out there.

My only hope for PhotoDune, which I might add is however a major one, is that “StockPhotography” is such a normal thing that most people use, that the new users and buyers will spill over into the other marketplaces and increase traffic and awareness.

Of course if PhotoDune becomes a huge success, that’s great! (except for the lower quality but higher prices >_>) But somehow I doubt it. Keeping fingers crossed though.

3 posts
  • Serbia
djile says

My point is that scout who reviewed my photos don’t have enough experience, because what is written is not correct… spots and dust??? I can assure you that my photos are high quality and that what is scout written does not make sense at all.

But that’s exactly what you wrote and from my case, from this we can understand that they should to improve the quality of scouts, because they oscillate…

3 posts
  • Serbia
djile says

another example: My images of a young man who has unbuttoned shirt… is not inappropriate position, or to allude to something … completely normal photo

inspectors comment: We’re sorry, the image you submitted contains either inappropriate language, references to drugs, and/or excessive sex and violence.

http://photodune.net/item/sexy-stockings/348471 http://photodune.net/item/sexy-lady/355063 http://photodune.net/item/shirtless-sexy-man-posing/214829

man without a shirt at all… This does not make sense

I do not want to offend anyone, but I definitely hit the inspectors who need to improve their knowledge.

523 posts
  • Denmark
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+5 more
Zeplix says

There certainly is some quality mix ups as well as guideline mix ups all around. Just found a completely blurry picture o0

1499 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey guys,

The question Chris raises is definitely something we discussed in massive detail here. I think that ultimately PhotoDune comes down to a question of strategy. It became really clear early on that we were going to struggle to build a unique photo marketplace, for the simple reason that there are lots of them out there, and that buyers demand a very broad range of content.

I’ve always felt we should have a photo marketplace so that it could both bring new buyers to other sites in our network, and so that our buyers have less of a reason to go elsewhere :-)

Given these two big factors, we decided that the best course was to build a photo marketplace and seed it with a broad range of photos to create a good foundation, then build a really good search system to filter through it all.

Ultimately, only time will tell if this was the right strategy. I must admit I don’t know for certain, but I am fairly sure that the photo market is really, really different to our other marketplaces. For instance before PhotoDune went into beta, all our marketplaces all together had roughly 70,000 items. We haven’t even launched PhotoDune officially and it alone has 150,000 images. What’s more, that’s really tiny compared to the big photo marketplaces, many of which have over 10,000,000 photos – yikes!

We’re still learning and figuring this photo marketplace out, so I find it really useful reading threads like these to get a sense of what issues authors feel there are. I hope that in the long run we can build something that is genuinely useful to buyers, good for our other marketplaces and their authors, and good for photographers.

Thanks guys!!

by
by
by
by
by
by