226 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
chipree says

There’s something I don’t understand.. Call me stupid, but why give the x2 times the price for a computer that has less hardware on it than a PC with the same price, and a OS that is less compatible with devices than win 7 for example. I meen, I had 2 webcams that did not work on osx and they did on windows, and I had to buy a webcam special for OSX that was crappier than the other 2.

I know, osx has a few things (the little important things) that matter. And it’s somewhat cleaner than win 7. But in terms of work enviroment, win7 is the best i dealt with so far…. you can test any version of IE with ieTester fast and easy, if you’re a gamer you have all the games you will ever need…

I’m not saying.. win xp and vista suck compared to OSX .. but win 7 is a game changer and in my opinion, after testing everything i could lay may hands on in terms of OS’s, I really don’t see why crappier hardware (that you cannot upgrade easily) and a OS that requires you to buy only certain compatible hardware like webcams, printers, external sound boards … etc in order to have the seamless experience is better than something that has a bad reputation but is surprisingly better.

I don’t want to go on… but it just seems crazy to pay such a big buck for just a prettier device with a high (old) reputation… the game kind of changed recently… I have absolutely no problem with win7 (hardware of software wise).. everything just works, and it works perfectly!

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

This is a little off topic, if I already own an iMac 27 and I would like to get a mbp. How can I sync both system? So they have the same apps and files, via wireless?

I will mainly work on mbp on day time and only work on imac during night time. Anyone has the experience?

1141 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

cy21,

the Mac is just sooo smooth and fun to work with! When I work I usually got 20 – 50 programmes/pages open at the same time. On Windows I have to look through all the tabs which takes forever, since I have to switch from photoshop to editor to browser every 10 seconds. But on Mac I rapidly move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen and bam – I got all the opened pages at once on my screen and can just click on whatever page I like. Same goes for Desktop – lower right corner – bam, desktop, so much faster then just navigating to a small ass button to hide all the windows and open them again. Software installation – opens, drag and drop to application folder, bam, works.

Somehow when I’m working on the Mac I feel like my Mac really likes working with me. He’s friendly, does what I say and doesn’t complain every five minutes with alert messages in the bottom right corner. But when I’m on a PC I feel like he hates me.. He wants to keep me from working by wanting useless updates, telling me nonsense in alert messages and takes forever to boot/reboot.

And that’s just some of the many reasons why I love working on a Mac. I’m really lost on the PC sometimes when I’m doing the browser compatibility stuff..

Oh and I’m sure not one of those prestige-Apple-fanatics who want to defend Apple randomly, the MBP and iMac is the only Apple products I got. And I never got any compatibility problems or hardware issues.

Greetings, GC

226 posts
+2 more
chipree says
cy21,

the Mac is just sooo smooth and fun to work with! When I work I usually got 20 – 50 programmes/pages open at the same time. On Windows I have to look through all the tabs which takes forever, since I have to switch from photoshop to editor to browser every 10 seconds. But on Mac I rapidly move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen and bam – I got all the opened pages at once on my screen and can just click on whatever page I like. Same goes for Desktop – lower right corner – bam, desktop, so much faster then just navigating to a small ass button to hide all the windows and open them again. Software installation – opens, drag and drop to application folder, bam, works.

Somehow when I’m working on the Mac I feel like my Mac really likes working with me. He’s friendly, does what I say and doesn’t complain every five minutes with alert messages in the bottom right corner. But when I’m on a PC I feel like he hates me.. He wants to keep me from working by wanting useless updates, telling me nonsense in alert messages and takes forever to boot/reboot.

And that’s just some of the many reasons why I love working on a Mac. I’m really lost on the PC sometimes when I’m doing the browser compatibility stuff..

Oh and I’m sure not one of those prestige-Apple-fanatics who want to defend Apple randomly, the MBP and iMac is the only Apple products I got. And I never got any compatibility problems or hardware issues.

Greetings, GC
I can tell you’re not a apple fanatic, and this is a really great answer I did not expect to get actually… hmm… For window management’s sake, I think win 7 icon view with “preview” is actually really well organized and cool. I have to compare it side by side with spaces to see which is better.
303 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+7 more
ThemeGoods says

Hey cy21 please don’t turn this thread into Mac vs pc.

I think everybody use the computer they like in terms of pricing, beauty, performance or whatever. ;)

226 posts
+2 more
chipree says
Hey cy21 please don’t turn this thread into Mac vs pc. I think everybody use the computer they like in terms of pricing, beauty, performance or whatever. ;)

Sorry, was not trying to turn it into mac vs pc… it was just a personal question because of all the facts presented …

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Well,

I had never owned a mac before and only used it for a couple of times. About 2 months ago I devided to move from windows and get a mac… I had the exact same question:

macbook pro or iMac (I find the macbooks so bad with disgusting design :O)?

As designers we usually like to work with lots of space, to move around our stuff and all that and for that the imac 27” is exceptional BUT the mbp gives you the flexibility to take it anywhere and go work on a cafe as I do at least once a week.

I got the MBP 17 ” which is just absurdly awesome. 1900 by thousand and something resolution, GREAT clarity and all that.

I dont regret one bit going for the mbp. the imac is more of a secondary thing I’ll get eventually, I mean, you can’t just get your imac and carry it around :P

I put my mbp in my backpack, take the car, bus, train, metro and go anywhere I want to work anywhere I feel like working, so for me in my opinion go first with a macbook pro.

You can always get the 27” apple display which is also great. :)

besides the shiny white apple logo on the back of your mbp is just awesome… on imac, can’t have it :P

377 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Argentina
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
360Degrees says

This is a little off topic, if I already own an iMac 27 and I would like to get a mbp. How can I sync both system? So they have the same apps and files, via wireless? I will mainly work on mbp on day time and only work on imac during night time. Anyone has the experience?

With the migration assistant, connect the two computer with firewire or ethernet cables and the assistant will migrate everything on one of your computers to the other.

1871 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

This is a little off topic, if I already own an iMac 27 and I would like to get a mbp. How can I sync both system? So they have the same apps and files, via wireless? I will mainly work on mbp on day time and only work on imac during night time. Anyone has the experience?

There is no easy way to have same system on both devices yet, but you can use mobileme for syncing ical, iphoto etc and dropbox to store your work files in the cloud.

Application settings are mostly stored inside your Library folder in your Home folder and I don’t think you could have this or even the whole Home folder in the cloud.

So you still need two different osx installs with different apps, different settings and different everything.

Another solution is to use migration assistant as suggested above but it would be quite a hassle to go through it every time you want to use another device.

Just centralize the important stuff you really care about into the cloud and you should do fine.

Also note that the transfer speed of the cloud is limited by your internet connection while the hdd transfer speed via sata is around 60-120MB/s, ssd around 150-250MB/s. hdds connected via usb have 10-30MB/s. So in some cases, you could also do fine with external usb hdd you can just carry around – but that would be for the work files only, no iphoto or ical sync, unless there is some app for that of course. Both imac and macbook can be enhanced with esata ports by third party manufacturers in case you really need the speed (external ssd).

I have absolutely no problem with win7 (hardware of software wise).. everything just works, and it works perfectly!

I somehow doubt that… :) At least it never worked for me, only on a fresh install everything seamed to work flawlessly.

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
DDStudios says

I somehow doubt that… :) At least it never worked for me, only on a fresh install everything seamed to work flawlessly.

Well, let’s face it. When does windows ever run 100%? Hard to answer :P

My last note, after a year, my windows XP was so corrupted I couldn’t even change the desktop background. I’d have to open the C:/ through that “run” on the start menu because if I went from My Computer it wouldnt find it.

by
by
by
by
by
by