1028 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
sike says

The MBP + Hi-Res Screen is a good option. ;)

367 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
+1 more
UI20 says

I already have 2 hardcore windows laptops at 17 inch and 1920×1200 displays so for me I need something a lot more mobile. I was thinking 13 incher for cafe’s and office supplement and a nice Dell screen when home. I just cant work on sub 1920×1200 screens anymore. I have been working with this res for almost 5 years now.

I found that workin in a cafe sitting outoors is a good way for me t break up the day and avoid the feeling of being imprisoned so I think I will go with the 13 incher.

3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

This is a little off topic, if I already own an iMac 27 and I would like to get a mbp. How can I sync both system? So they have the same apps and files, via wireless? I will mainly work on mbp on day time and only work on imac during night time. Anyone has the experience?

I guess it’s been a while since you posted, but I figured I might as well still answer it.

A great way to sync your important stuff is by using DropBox – there was an elaborate article on it on Appstorm the other day.

If you don’t know the program yet; the idea is as follows. You basically have a folder, Dropbox, that is synced continuously on all machines that are ‘subscribed’ to that folder. Just by dragging something into it, it’ll be downloaded on all other devices. And then there’s a heap of features that make this very comfortable to use – think of things like version control (all previous versions are stored on their server and you can decide to restore an older version, or even un-delete a file from your Dropbox folder), shared folders (multiple Dropbox users syncing to a single folder for cooperative projects), right-clicking a file (image?) in your ‘Public’ folder to get the direct link onto your clipboard so you can share it easily and of course accessing your files via the website interface if you happen to be using a computer that isn’t hooked up to your dropbox!

Might be a little off-topic, but figured I’d post it anyway. Couldn’t resist an opportunity to promote Dropbox :)

On-topic: since March this year I’ve switched from my Acer desktop machine to a MacBook Pro 13”. I’ve never looked back. I’m currently using the screen that I used with my desktop machine as a dualscreen with my Macbook Pro (vertically), giving me lots of space when I’m at home and lots of portability when I’m in the train to university. It’s my ideal setup!

I guess that’s what it comes down to: do you need the portability? Then buy a Macbook (I decided to get the 13” rather than the 15” since it’s not only much cheaper but also much more portable – a 15” laptop is quite a bit larger to carry around), with a (cheap – I’m using a $120 22” at the moment and it works just fine) secondary screen for at home.

45 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in United States
tcremer says

I’m also trying decide between a MBP and a 27 in iMac.

I would love to get a 15in MBP + the apple cinema screen, but it’s way too expensive. So I’m thinking of just going with the iMac and later on maybe get an iPad.

I want to buy a new mac soon… but does anyone know if a) Apple will have any discounts for Black Friday and b) if Apple will update the iMac anytime soon. Would really suck if I bought the iMac and 1 month later they release a better one :P

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I hardly doubt apple computers and etc go on sale at all any time a year (except refurbished and late versions).

45 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in United States
tcremer says

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ I hardly doubt apple computers and etc go on sale at all any time a year (except refurbished and late versions).

If I remember right, last year they did have a sale ($100 off I think), but haven’t heard anything this year.

And thanks for the link, but I’ve read anything from Jan/Feb to Sept/November 2011, so not sure who to trust :P

by
by
by
by
by
by