608 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
plusquare says

I’ve just had a client who asked me for custom work and when i’ve said that i do not offer it, he said that my support is bad and that other are going to the ends of the world to do free work for him..

If support would become mandatory, imagine buyers like him. It gives them total control and leaves us with absolutely no freedom. We’ll became slaves of Envato and our customers.

:(

If specific rules are set, this can be avoided. One thing is when you say you don’t offer that kind of support, other thing is envato policy saying that. Of course there will be always buyers wanting the universe. But if envato sets some specific rules here, with a low price they could get the fast response support they often need. If they want bigger support it’s up to the developer to enable another package which would be more expensive but that could integrate another level of customization and work for the buyer

4726 posts Interactive Design
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

We need our other co-founder, Cyan – who always upheld building a better community for authors and understanding our rights, such as:

Whilst we do encourage authors to provide support for their products, they are under no obligation to do so, and this is entirely their choice. This is part of the reason why files on the marketplace are so cheap.

The only way mandatory support will work, is if it’s optional and we’re paid for the support time.

2 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Basix says

A problem I have is that bad ratings are sometimes given without any prior contact from the buyer.

Some buyers seem to think that an author can reply to a rating/review. If this was the case authors could revisit reviews and communicate back to buyers (support them) that simply just provided a bad rating without asking for support first.

Plus, if you get a bad rating for lets say item version 1.0 wont it be fair to revisit a buyer rating/review when you have 5,10, 20 new updates to the initial version on which the rating was given? Would it be fair to judge for example Envato’s or WordPress current system version based on previous release?

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I’ve just had a client who asked me for custom work and when i’ve said that i do not offer it, he said that my support is bad and that other are going to the ends of the world to do free work for him..

If support would become mandatory, imagine buyers like him. It gives them total control and leaves us with absolutely no freedom. We’ll became slaves of Envato and our customers.

If specific rules are set, this can be avoided.

And you’re sure that all authors will follow those rules? An author might do free customizations for the buyers and Envato would let him do this, because they wouldn’t know, right? And then the same buyers will come to a different author who doesn’t do this and rate badly because he doesn’t help him in the same way even if he purchased the support pack. And we both now that bad ratings remain there even if they’re stupid :)

1467 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

And you’re sure that all authors will follow those rules? An author might do free customizations for the buyers and Envato would let him do this, because they wouldn’t know, right? And then the same buyers will come to a different author who doesn’t do this and rate badly because he doesn’t help him in the same way even if he purchased the support pack. And we both now that bad ratings remain there even if they’re stupid :)

I put that exact question to Collis here: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/important-changes-to-item-support/140218?page=34#1104781

Not sure if there’s a reply, this thread is tricky to follow!

365 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
DOGmotion says

One thing is when you say you don’t offer that kind of support, other thing is envato policy saying that.

Do you really think so? Envato can’t handle their support within 7 days. They don’t want to delete unfair one star rating. And how, the hell, will they control all buyers’ messages about “not good support”?

I tell you how: They just will say that this is not their business. As far as they always do when you ask for delete of unfair one star rating.

42 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
UKThemes says

we both now that bad ratings remain there even if they’re stupid :)

not true, we have had 3 removed over the last 5 months for unjustified ratings. On the grounds they rated support as the sole reason why they rate the item poorly.

Our argument was the item was working as described and we refused support this these users for being either too demanding or too aggressive.

The ratings got overturned.

Now this new rule comes into effect, this will no longer be the case :(

21 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
MrPlugins says

first of all I apologize for my English. I would like to understand one thing: the support will be given for 6 months from the publication of the product or are six months for each consumer at the time of purchase?

in the second scenario, your proposal would be a stretch to support for entire life of the author (which now does not exist) and I explain why: just think a product sale per day (every day I accumulate 6 months of service required)

608 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+4 more
plusquare says

If specific rules are set, this can be avoided.

There will always be that, stupid people will be here to stay :D but they are a minority fortunately. What I’m trying to say, is that if envato provided the option for paid support with specific rules of what buyers get and don’t get with that, it would be awesome for the buyers and authors. There is no perfect solution, this is what I think would be the best solution here.

Of course there will be always buyers wanting more and more, for those you tell them, look envato has these rules, we provide fast support in these conditions, costumization is not support but developing.

I rarely get costumization requests, most of support is about issues, bugs or feature localization. This is what I think should fall in the support package.

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Kevitus says

I’ll also have to say that the fairest condition would be that the support would be paid and optional for authors. Either you pay the small price and get NO support at all, or you pay additionally a support fee and get all the support you need. That way it would be transparent to authors and buyers. Upholding all the support that is needed now for the items is already a joke for the price that people pay for them. IMO even the current prices are only ok if there is absolutely no support at all. And buyers should know this, it is the main reason the prices are so low. I sometimes spend hours helping people getting my item the way they wanted to make sure they won’t give me a bad rating. Considering the money I get from my item (7-8 $) I make constant losses. I only have few sales but I don’t even want to imagine what it is like to have like ten times of my sales.

If you want to make the marketplace sustainable for authors, charge buyers for the support.

by
by
by
by
by
by