237 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
subsolar says

..but from a buyer’s perspective who knows that support is now mandatory from authors, he could make a lot of noise and mess.

+100000

A lot has been said already, I just wanted to emphasize on this

Hell will break lose, 1 Star Ratings will fall down from the sky, and we the authors will have to be slaves for EVERY. LITTLE. THING. that the lazy customer didn’t read in the documentation.

“You are required to give me support! Where is that Permalinks menu. I can’t find it, it’s not on my Wordpress installation. Tell me where it is or I’ll shoot you with this 1 Star!” (And the 1 Star is not the scariest thing)

607 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
plusquare says

I’ll also have to say that the fairest condition would be that the support would be paid and optional for authors. Either you pay the small price and get NO support at all, or you pay additionally a support fee and get all the support you need. That way it would be transparent to authors and buyers. Upholding all the support that is needed now for the items is already a joke for the price that people pay for them. IMO even the current prices are only ok if there is absolutely no support at all. And buyers should know this, it is the main reason the prices are so low. I sometimes spend hours helping people getting my item the way they wanted to make sure they won’t give me a bad rating. Considering the money I get from my item (7-8 $) I make constant losses. I only have few sales but I don’t even want to imagine what it is like to have like ten times of my sales. If you want to make the marketplace sustainable for authors, charge buyers for the support.

Precisely what I think, we already give the support, it’s a matter of getting some return from it to make it sustainable.

154 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Cubell says

Many of the questions you have raised were discussed by Collis here. We really do appreciate your feedback on this topic. We are listening but obviously can’t respond to everything.

Of course no one is expecting you to answer every comment here, however, we are expecting you to provide detailed responses with substance to every single major/popular concern raised here.

And truth be told, Collis’ response, if anything, just deflated me even further. Collis explained a bit more about the announcement in its current form, but essentially said “we are working on it – this is still work in progress”. Which is unacceptable, you can’t throw a half-baked bombshell on such a critical part of your own business (authors) and then say “sit tight and wait for further announcements”, while authors (including elites/power elites) anxiously type away for days.

Item “support” is definitely an area Envato needs to look at, but the correct solutions for improvements couldn’t be more different to everything you’ve announced.

We are the bloodline of Envato, buyers spend money here because of authors, if we all moved to a new site, they would all follow. We deserve a ton more respect than this and a big say in policies that directly impact us. Authors having to leave 61 pages of responses after an announcement + power elite author starting a separate thread with 18 pages of signatures and counting, definitely does not sound right to me.

134 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
FranklinM2 says

This announcement represents a 360 degree turn
A 360 degree turn would be full circle. I think you meant a 180 degree turn. :)

Haha, you are right. 180 degree turn…

47 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
SubatomicThemes says

I’m curious about what the penalties will be for not replying to support questions within 72 hours? And how will you determin if the buyer is telling the truth? What about questions asked by e-mail? How would you be able to verify it?

504 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

I’m curious about what the penalties will be for not replying to support questions within 72 hours? And how will you determin if the buyer is telling the truth? What about questions asked by e-mail? How would you be able to verify it?

+1

379 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
QBKL says

This is a pretty hard to follow topic and before adding my own input, I wanted to take the time and digest the whole state of the marketplace today. Not saying that my views are those of everyone here. They are mine and the people I collaborate with and represent our views on which I noticed to find common ground with many other authors. I wrote them down in a post on Medium which I’d like to share with you the authors, Envato staff and whoever else would like to have a read (8 min read according to Medium)

An Open Letter to Envato – An author’s views on current and forthcoming marketplace issues.

Thank you for taking the time to read through and looking forward to reactions.

Regards, Alex

28 posts Stoyan
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
OTWthemes says

Guys, you don’t get it. Less support after 6 months? Haha, nice joke. Let me see one of you saying to a customer “Hello, unfortunately we can’t offer any support since you purchased the theme more than 6 months ago” and getting a 1 star right after that.

Dangit that’s a really valid point… Sorry if I missed a reply to that, it’s hard to follow this thread, but maybe you should disable ratings after six months too then.

When I heard about this whole change I thought it was pretty legit, but after reading so many valid and well-thought responses against it I can see the vicious circle this could start.

This thread shows once more how valuable this community is when it comes to decision making!
Absolutely, and while we haven’t made a final decision, limiting the period that you can rate an item was on our list of changes, and it seems very fair to me.

One thing that the rating is missing is that you can’t actually talk to the customer after he has rated you. We have several cases that we receive 1 star. The customer had some issue not related to our product but to another plugin for example. He did not contact support so we can see what it is and fix it for him. If his contact form is enabled we write him, then he responds, we fix the problem and he gives us 5 stars. But if his contact form is disabled there is nothing we can do even if we are willing to help. :)

Another thing is that rating comments are visible only for the authors. Someone loves one of our products gives us 5 stars, writes a wonderful comment in the review comments and then we the authors are the only one that see it :)

Something similar to the wordpress.org rating system is maybe a better idea. The customer leaves a rating with a comment/review and everyone can see it. Then the author can respond to that.

This is just an idea from our experience of course. If anyone has anything else to add please do. We all want this whole thing to work more efficient for both the authors and the buyers. :)

379 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
QBKL says

A mailto: link wouldn’t help (there is a @ sign in the link). Use a link shortener

Thanks, done. Would be great if you could remove the quote from your post too since it contains the wrong link. Cheers!

602 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
jayc says

Hello,

I could not read all 600+ comments, I apologize if the following question has been previously posted.

After six months, a buyer who does not pay for support will be able to post comments for a specific item? (most of the comments are questions about the item and an author could not decline answer because the buyer simply did not pay for support, while others did).

Regards

by
by
by
by
by
by