82 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
mehrpadin says

Hi every,

I’ve 1 question, I’m going to email this to Collis too, I want everybody to know this.

Sometimes, your WP theme could be rejected, simply because it’s “too soon” to be accepted!, I mean it could lessen the sales of some of the most recent WP themes.

I’ve submitted my mpFOUR, some days ago, I guess 5 days ago. Kailoon rejected it, because:

1. This is quite simple so you need to make sure everything is in right place, precisely. 2. The both widgets need improvements. They are messy. 3. You also need to improve the typography and content spacing. 4. The overall design also need some improvements.

I added some more stuffs to the themes, revised some parts, and resubmitted, I’ve also wrote a message for the reviewer asking for “soft-rejection” as I did all was needed, and guess what, this time, Jarel Remick, rejected it, because:

1) Several elements need padding/spacing adjustments through the template. 2) Overall template typography needs additional refinements and improvements. 3) Compatibility in all major browsers is required including IE6 . This theme appears to have some issues in IE6 . Please double check compatibility with all major browsers including IE6 before resubmitting.

Take a look at my mp4

Let’s be honest, “padding & spacing” is all up to the author and the idea s\he has about his\her work, furthermore, my mp4 is all fine and dandy as per “padding and spacing” (it’s also ok with IE6 as far as I see in the IE Tester.)

“typography”, guys tell me something, who’s the designer? designers or reviewers? Ok, ok, ok, isn’t it better to let reviewers design and we sit back relax and watch?

As far as I see, we authors are not supposed to have control over “padding, spacing, and typography” ! , and what else?

Anyway, my mp4 has a bad typography? says who? look at the Collis’s blog, and the TF blog, and the Creattica, all have crazy typographies? mine is no different, then either we are ok or we are crazy, huh? I’m not going to name, but you can find tens, if not hundreds, of the items here with odd font sizes, and odd fonts, so what’s the story? the real story, everything behind all these “execuses” what’s that?

Let me tell you this, I’m new here, I’m not buddybuddy with the reviewers, but the most recent WP themes, are from some chaps who’re reviewers’ friends for quite some time.

So? what happens, when a new player wants to come in, they “reject” it! until when those “friends” sell enough, and show the “green light”.

Hahahaha, someone tell me I’m wrong and make me happy, pleasssse.

82 posts
mehrpadin says

Seems that I was so angry and didn’t ask the question at all, the question is that, “How would you like it if the same happens to you?” I mean under the same circumstances, and clearly you conclude what I did.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Many authors seem to think that we reviewers have an agenda against new members. This couldn’t be further from the truth. No matter who you are – if you submit a nicely crafted template, we’re going to accept. :)

In this case, it seems that both of our reviewers agreed that your template wasn’t quite ready for ThemeForest. Perhaps it might be a good idea to get some additional feedback from the community?

As with everyone, you are more than welcome to continue working on your template and resubmit.

82 posts
mehrpadin says

Hey Jeff,

Saw my theme? yeah? Tell me, in details, what’s wrong with the “padding \spacing”, and “typography”.

Honesty I need.

146 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
0703 says

im not a reviewer but a good “stalker” and i took a look on your page/theme.

if you setup a portfoliopage you should also set it up right. with sections and examples – not only using a standart “page-template” for each section in your navigation.

typography maybe means that your not using “many” styles. example for headers or blockquotes. maybe you should also setup a typography page to see whats possible with your theme.

i also miss “threated comments” in the blog. for me perssonal there is too much spacing to the pics in the blogposts. and too less in the sidebars headline and contents

what i really dislike is the coloursheme you are using in the commentsfield/area.this lightblue or turquoise doesnt fit to your colours

i really really like this rotator. would look fabulous if you can make it work with a flickr stream. hope you get some more help

3 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Located in United States
jcws649 says

I don’t want to be the party pooper here, but from my point of view that theme is plain and it could be given for free.

The top post or blog entry, however you want to call it is a little weird and there IS some spacing problems.

I’m not a webdesigner, but as a buyer from ThemeForest.. I would not buy it.

Don’t get me wrong, I know everyone has different taste but the font size seems to be a little too big.

http://i25.tinypic.com/29z7p1s.jpg

See the spaces in red? that’s what I’m talking about.

82 posts
mehrpadin says

@0703:

It’s a blog theme and that “portfolio” is just a name, a word, not more. Note that most blogs rarely use pages. at most it’s 1 or 2, for the “about me” and\or “contact me” pages, at least this’s what I see all around, and say “blog”s are so.

And the typography, well, yeah I can create a typography demo page, good idea, but the comments are ok IMHO , at least this’s not why they rejected my theme.

@jcws649: Thanks, “text-align: justified” is your answer.

382 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

But the reviewers aren’t reviewing the templates based on their personal opinions of what they like, or what they think looks nice. They’re reviewing them based on how well they think they’ll sell, and after seeing thousands of templates come through, I’m guessing they have a pretty good idea of what will sell well and what won’t.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Having your hard work rejected is never a good feeling and we do know how you feel. We aren’t trying to attack you and we don’t play favorites, we simply try to do our job as well as we can.

Sometimes authors seem to think that padding/spacing, typography, etc. are elements up to the author, not the reviewer. A design is composed of all these elements (spacing, typography, etc.) and a reviewers job is to ensure that quality designs that will sell are what make their way into the marketplace. So while the author decides how to use these elements (creating the design, because the author is the designer), the reviewer decides if the quality is acceptable and if the template/theme is going to sell. Simple as that.

When a contestant on American Idol thinks s/he is a great singer and all the judges say otherwise, the contestant doesn’t get his/her way. The contestant is welcome to try again or sing elsewhere but acceptance is up to the judges (or the community).

I want to encourage you to keep trying and if you have questions for the reviewers, you can always reply to the review message. We are always happy to help and we want all the authors here to succeed (when they succeed, Envato succeeds and everyone wins) :-)

146 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
0703 says

nice statement, couldnt agree more @xmdsys . hope you arent angry no more, its just a little tweaking you have todo.

if you want to create something unique within your template ( beside this neat header rotator) try to implement new things like cufon font replacement. there arent many themes here using this. maybe this isn eyecatcher and make your whole design looks a bit different and special. sure its a blog, but it could kick ass !

by
by
by
by
by
by