• Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
cosmincotor says

Hello, i’m trying to get a theme approved here on Themeforest, but i’m having some design issues that need to be fixed before i upload it again, the theme can be seen here :

http://oxeso.com/gridia

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the design, please post them here , thank you ! :)

1031 posts
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • France
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
Pixelworkshop says

Nice idea you have here :)

The main thing you should work on is typography, for example your headings could be improved simply by scaling / spacing them properly. For your paragraphs, the font size is 14px, so you can use multiples of 7 : 35px, 28px, 21px, 14px and add some line-height / margin or padding bottom to space everything nicely. What about increasing a little bit the paragraph line height ? There are some really useful links in this old thread and you can learn a lot about typography ;)

100 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
ZefWebDesign says

Hi cosmincotor,

I’m in the same position as you at the moment as well so hopefully we can both help each other out ;p

The first thing I can see that I think needs improving is the navigation. It is very plane and could do with some spicing up, and unless the page loaded incorrectly, it doesn’t appear to have a hover state. Maybe use a bolder font, or create some sort of nav bar. The good thing is it is something that should be fairly easy to improve.

The next thing I would say, is that it would be a good idea to use jQuery to create a cool fade in hover effect on each of the items in the gallery. Have a look at some of the popular portfolio themes and you will see what I mean. When hovering over one I just feel as though something should happen to let me know I can click on it.

The final thing I wil say for the time being is that I’m not too crazy about the footer background. It could be because I’m tethering my phone internet but it looks like a poor quality jpeg all blocky and with artifacts. Im not sure if this was the look your going for but personally I don’t like it.

Other than that I think it is overall pretty good and has a lot of potential! I particularly like the logo!

Hope this helps for the time being! Keep trying!

Zef

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
cosmincotor says

Thanks Keliah, i will add that to my list, i will wait for more ideas and i’ll start work on it after.

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
cosmincotor says

Thank you ZefWebDesign, those are good ideas, exactly what i’m looking for, the footer you see is only one style, but i’ll have to make a few changes to it too i’m not very happy with it either, thank you !

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
cosmincotor says

I made a few changes :

- paragraph font size , line height changed

- heading space added (margins)

- front page thumbs animation added

- top menu hover state added

Let me know what you think so far, thanks !!

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
cosmincotor says

After making those changes my theme still got rejected, since the reviewer couldn’t give me any details of what i should improve, can anyone else take a look and give me some advice please, maybe a reviewer , thanks :)

100 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ZefWebDesign says

Looking better! i really like the improvements!

I’m really scraping the barrel now with thinking of things to improve haha Maybe use an interesting cufon font for headings to give the site a bit more personality? Like in the footer I don’t think the headings stand out that much and the dark background behind them almost makes it look like an input box, so that might be something to change too.

I don’t know how hard this would be to implement but it would be a real killer feature (and definitely make your theme unique) if you could add a rating system to each of the items in the gallery?

Sorry i couldn’t be of more help

Good luck

Zef

294 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
cosmincotor says

Thanks Zef, a rating system won’t be put in, however users can add a plugin to extend it with ease if they need it, probelm is i don’t know what else to add in , and the reviewer wasn’t much help either :( so right now i’m just guessing what to add, by the way where’s your theme maybe i can help ?

100 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ZefWebDesign says

Ok it was just a suggestion. Yh thats the problem I’m in the exact same position with my theme. Heres a link to my forum post concerning the rejection http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/rejection-please-help/34215

Cheers for the help offer ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by