• Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
miseld says

Raising the price it will also raise other things such is Historical Rates Schedule, The Elite Author Level, Buyers will choose wisely what they can get for their money etc… Personaly I am against that, if you think that is the right thing at this moment why other marketplaces (I don’t want to mention them) have failed with their model of high pricing?

where is this behaviour at audiojungle, I ask you? If 1-3$ price increase do such a damage to sales, we would have known by many many threads. Other “high pricing” sites are off the scale to videohive, as their prices are twice – to ten times as large as here.

Videohive has get its huge membercount by having by far the lowest price in the industry by it’s time. This won’t stop when you increase prices by 10%

I was pointing Videohive :) not audiojungle. We can discuss about pricing for a weeks but again it’s all up to Envato.

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

have failed with their model of high pricing?

Other markets don’t have high pricing…. just higher than Videohive. Suppose another market comes along and undercuts VH. I think there even are some springing up.

Videohive doesn’t have to have high pricing, but what needs to stop is this disconnect where a fairly mediocre project costs $20, and a project that exceeds it in almost every respect -in terms of design, execution, input effort, finish, visual talent / technical ability required, software required, computing power required and time to complete…. gets $25. To get $30 it has to be absolutely off the scale special. We are looking at severely diminishing returns and increased risk the further you push the quality envelope.

If prices could adequately reflect this world of difference, then Videohive would be offering buyers a bit more of something very important: CHOICE!

absolutely right as usual, and very well explained. As I’ve said for years, you should price the best projects up at $50+ so there isn’t a point of diminishing return for authors who work really hard; they Should get higher pricing for strongest kick-butt projects … but as felt points out, a so-so project that gets priced at $20 vs a stellar one at $25 isn’t enough contrast, motivation, to get guys working the extra mile like the top elite guys do here…

there also a lot of crappy projects here for sale, mostly sub $15 ones I wouldn’t download for free, cuz they’d waste hard drive space, lol. I’d prune the projects to get rid of early low-seller/nonsellers, and raise rates on the best ones, give them a special label/name And way to be displayed to buyers, to showcase them and generate the revenue you guys who go the extra mile, deserve. And most of the average ones, $12-$18 or whatever is fine. Build better contrast in pricing as a function of quality, to motivate/reward the guys who produce broadcast-quality pro projects here, it’s about time and you guys deserve it. From buyers’ standpoint, I’ve bought a lot of projects here that are better than others’ I’ve paid a lot more for, elsewhere… so there’s some price elasticity to Test out.

2060 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

As I’ve said for years, you should price the best projects up at $50+ so there isn’t a point of diminishing return for authors who work really hard; they Should get higher pricing for strongest kick-butt projects … but as felt points out, a so-so project that gets priced at $20 vs a stellar one at $25 isn’t enough contrast, motivation, to get guys working the extra mile like the top elite guys do here…

But that gives the lower quality an advantage: they are cheaper. Buyers might choose the not so good template just because of the lower price, stealing sales from the high quality one. I think the prices are in general too low. And it seems like they are decreasing.

A few days ago I’ve seen a logo pack with 4 animations for the standard $8, that cannot be right.

I agree that there are differences in quality, but the pricing is too low for all projects. Those that are very bad shouldn’t have made it into the marketplace anyway, but it doesn’t make sense to make these lower quality projects cheaper.

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

Good dialogue; pricing is always a hot issue for debate. I was buying some AE templates elsewhere last night, and one thing that other places have as an advantage is most do not limit usage to a single project; many ae template sites say 100% royalty free, buy it once and use it in as many of your own projects as you wish.

So if VH does increase pricing, I would recommend at least opening up the license to be more competitive with most other ae template places, which don’t have single-use limitations. VH is the most expensive out there in the world, for those who use templates for more than 1 project, and need to rebuy templates to use in 2-3 projects. I’d recommend envato modify license so that as long as you’re using a template for your own business (for example in 3 different sites the buyer personally owns), usage is included; and only charge per-usage for commercial client projects, as a distinction.

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

It seems like you are talking about a much bigger increase than I am. I’m talking about 2-5$. This wouldn’t justify a multiple use license.

May I ask you, what did you pay for the multi-use license?

5035 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Good dialogue; pricing is always a hot issue for debate. I was buying some AE templates elsewhere last night, and one thing that other places have as an advantage is most do not limit usage to a single project; many ae template sites say 100% royalty free, buy it once and use it in as many of your own projects as you wish. So if VH does increase pricing, I would recommend at least opening up the license to be more competitive with most other ae template places, which don’t have single-use limitations. VH is the most expensive out there in the world, for those who use templates for more than 1 project, and need to rebuy templates to use in 2-3 projects. I’d recommend envato modify license so that as long as you’re using a template for your own business (for example in 3 different sites the buyer personally owns), usage is included; and only charge per-usage for commercial client projects, as a distinction.

It’s a good thought, but the whole multiple license issue is open to abuse. I think it’s important to make clear that you don’t get to make money customizing a template for ever and ever for a one-off fee of $20. Envato has recognised that and I believe they made a very good decision.

There are too many quality authors here who are disappearing and not uploading any more, probably because the risk-to-reward balance has changed out of their favour. An experienced and talented freelancer who might command a day rate of somewhere between $400 and $1000 is unlikely to spend two weeks producing their best work when there’s a mighty high chance – indeed a probability – of it only selling 50 times. 50 sales at $25, with an initial author cut of 50%. Bingo! $625 pay for two weeks work. A burger flipper earns better. Compared to three years ago, quality requirements are higher, prices are lower and there’s a lot more competition in numbers… ergo: less chance of a top selling file.

This is the lowdown, Ken. The cost of the software and hardware alone for video is enormous, as is the computer time, the user-guide overhead etc. etc. As a business proposition to a decent quality freelancer it just doesn’t add up any more. I care about Videohive and want to make more stuff, but I’m not a fool.

128 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
caneration says

You touched the real points felt_tips. I am in VH for 4-5 months and I have finished each project for VH in averagely 2 weeks. And by an easiest freelance work, at least I earn two times more than earned total from Videohive. I think Videohive “WAS” a good idea for freelancers 2-3 years ago. But now it is going to harder day by day. Quality is higher and a too much files, too much alternatives, after 2 weeks approving on site it is really difficult to find your project.

3 years ago, authors was earning good. I can see from the old projects. There are tons of old dated middle-quality projects (when you compare to now) which sold 500+. Because there were not too much files, too much authors, too much alternatives. But now, you can see tons of really high-quality projects, sold maximum 70-80.

I want to keep my care about Videohive, here is a really nice place and giving us a nice contest area. But if everything goes on same way (and it seems like it will), earning 250-300 USD from 2 weeks projects will redirect me and lots of authors to think again uploading new projects.

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

hi felt, I agree that from an authors’ standpoint, it may not make sense to spend two weeks’ work for a few hundred dollars. Then again some of the templates here have sold hundreds, earning thousands for their authors.

from a buyers’ standpoint, google after effects templates> https://www.google.com/search?q=after+effects+templates

and check the licensing restrictions from all other AE template places; with only one exception I’ve seen, no other template place restricts usage to a single project; they are in fact 100% royalty free, meaning the buyer can use the template on as many of their own projects as they wish. Just like the world’s biggest stock photo and audio track places have no single-usage restriction.

That’s the fact of the world’s marketplaces. By having restrictive licensing here, if I want to use a template in two of my different sites’ videos, I have to pay twice for the same template (and have done so on numerous occasions). But that’s less competitive with all of VH’s competitors:

https://www.google.com/search?q=after+effects+templates

who do not have such restrictive single-use licensing. The template pack I bought yesterday, from one of the world’s top places, had 10 templates for $99 with no restrictions on per-site usage. And of those 3 were usable, very good templates. So anyways, I agree it’s fair to raise prices for the best templates, I’d just recommend rethinking that whole only-site-in-industry-that-limits-use-to-one-single-project license restriction that envato imposes, as you definitely lose sales to other sites that don’t have that restriction.

I’m one of the world’s top buyers, and supporters, of ae templates; I’m a big fan, just keep it fair from a “what do competitors charge?” standpoint as well. Raise rates on the best $25+ price rated/bestselling templates here, double pricing even is fine, just loosen up usage to 2-3 of our own personal sites is what I’d suggest. Have a platinum tier of $50-$70 priced templates with “3-site license” for the best ones, would be my recommendation.

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

I guess the site you are referring to is not a marketplace where authors upload their templates, but an own business. (short: DJ)

That is not comparable in my opinion. Another well known site that has the same structure as videohive has prices 3-10 times as high as here. So you really need to use the template often to get away with a better deal. That’s barely the case.

There may be some cheap little marketplaces with 5 shitty templates offering multi-use license, but I’m talking about REAL competitors to videohive. I don’t know of any with a comparable price, even when you consider using every template twice.

And then there is also the possibility that many buyers at videohive use it more than one time, although they only bought one license.

If you want multi-use license, I’d ask for the triple price. But that’s not gonna happen, as envato just redesigned their licenses.

685 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+1 more
videologio says

I would love to see a price increase.

+1