1290 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

true creattive, you got it right….that’s the one. and you make good points. it’s likely an endless debate with different points of view on pricing… good idea for everyone to speak up with their honest ideas about stuff, and let’s see what envato does… main thing is reward the best people w/strong sales and high prices is good

5195 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

true creattive, you got it right….that’s the one. and you make good points. it’s likely an endless debate with different points of view on pricing… good idea for everyone to speak up with their honest ideas about stuff, and let’s see what envato does… main thing is reward the best people w/strong sales and high prices is good

I think it’s fair to say that we all have Videohive’s interests at heart, but those interests strongly coloured by our own interests.

My personal take is that buyers’ interests are well represented from a price point of view. They get more stuff for less money than I have ever seen in 20 years in the industry – and that by a long, long way. The low pricing here is, dare I say, absolutely without precedent, even amongst the contemporary competition.

Authors on the other hand are less well represented. The pricing is a facet of the continuing hobbyization of the creative industry. A lamentable fact and a hard reality for many of those who work in it.

I would suggest that buyers’ and authors’ interests are actually best served, not by dropping prices, but by offering a better, more functional, more searchable site, with tools to sort and understand the ever-expanding volume, with a fairer, more qualitative approach to pricing.

There has been an unbelievable quality surge (largely through the efforts of the community) and in light of this, I would personally like to see more focus on being the best, and less on being the cheapest.

I would also like to stop hearing authors saying that only by freezing / further reducing prices will sales be maintained / increased. It shows a startling lack of confidence in the value of our own products.

I would also love to hear the official Envato line on all of this. :-)

160 posts Quality over Quantity
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
JakubVejmola says

I have flagged your latest post for staff reply, Felt… since I think this conversation is far enough to get some answers ;), right?

5195 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I have flagged your latest post for staff reply, Felt… since I think this conversation is far enough to get some answers ;), right?

Sounds like a plan, old bean. :)

280 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
MotionMAX says

I wish if this can be true if 8$ project turns to 12$ hmm :)

1562 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+9 more
dorde says

I think it’s time for staff to write something in this thread, at least something unofficially about the prices. :)

1290 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Agree it would be nice to get staff’s thoughts on this, though publicly commenting on pricing is always a challenge, since there’s so many variables. To summarize a few thoughts to date:

a) many of us agree that pricing should be somehow increased; the question is ‘how’

b) I agree w/felt that there should be a focus on qualititative (at corresponding high pricing), vs quantitative. Highest-talented authors should be properly incentivized to create stellar projects; the current setup doesn’t do that as well, since with all the new authors and minimal price spread, there may not be enough “reward” in it for the best authors to create exceptional projects.

c) Concern that raising prices will decrease sales. In this economy that’s a valid point; however I’ve found that people are often willing to pay up higher pricing IF the quality is there, which it certainly is for many projects here, the best over-$25 priced ones. Only envato knows, by looking at their sales data, where most new sales come from. If 70% of sales are from sub-$20 priced projects, then that’s your business model and should be retained, for example, at least for that type of project.

d) I suggest adding some kind of “tiered” approach here, eg “platinum projects” is my recommendation, with over-$50 pricing, for exceptionally well done projects, as a separate category, that’s properly showcased and advertised. That builds in the rewards for hardest-working most talented authors.

e) licensing: give some thought to license alternatives for less restrictive, if raising prices

any other main themes/thoughts? it’s a good topic.

-k

2355 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

@Ken – I think you’re wrong. I’ve seen $25+ projects that suck, and I’ve seen projects with $10 or less that are amazing. It’s funny to raise the prices based on price tag $25+. You have so many awesome logo stings that are priced $8, even $6. That’s why I think the price increase should go linear.

1817 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+11 more
Mocarg Moderator says

@Ken – I think you’re wrong. I’ve seen $25+ projects that suck, and I’ve seen projects with $10 or less that are amazing. It’s funny to raise the prices based on price tag $25+. You have so many awesome logo stings that are priced $8, even $6. That’s why I think the price increase should go linear.

+1

There are some extraordinary intros for 6$ or 8$ which is a shame…

437 posts butlerm.com
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
butlerm says

linear is the only way to do it…. envato wouldn’t waist weeks looking at every file deciding if it should be raised or not, they have enough on their plate
by
by
by
by
by
by