329 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Or may be a feature to transfer a purchase of an item from one account to another account. Like in RoPadel’s case the original developer would agree to transfer the purchase of the theme from his account to RoPadel’s account as he is now dealing with the client’s website.

In my experience that’s not always that easy because it’s one web guy taking business from another and you don’t always get such professional courtesy. Hence my suggestion of the purchase code or something similar to be automatically uploaded with the theme files. Of course the worst case scenario is the client not getting any access, log-ins at all from the old web designer.

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
RoPadel says

In my experience that’s not always that easy because it’s one web guy taking business from another and you don’t always get such professional courtesy. Hence my suggestion of the purchase code or something similar to be automatically uploaded with the theme files. Of course the worst case scenario is the client not getting any access, log-ins at all from the old web designer.
I think that’s a good suggestion. I have been informed by Envato Support that this customer will have to repurchase the theme to get support on it in the future and, I’m guessing here, to really continue to use it. CLINE123 is correct – professional courtesy is sometimes missing in cases like these. In this instance it’s not so much that, as the person who created the site is no longer with the company he worked for and there has been somewhat of a falling out between the original parties. Whatever the circumstances, the end customer is often the one that falls foul of a process that they don’t necessarily fully understand. They pay a developer to provide a website and that’s what they get. If the developer does not provide them with the necessary licenses and documentation, the customer may not even be aware that it was a requirement. It reminds me of another situation that I’ve encountered a few times where a web developer registers a domain in their own name, when things fall apart between developer and customer it makes things very messy. IMHO , as developers, the onus is on us to make sure that everything we provide ensures that the customer retains the rights to everything they’ve purchased at the outset. In the past I have developed my own themes but have been investigating this avenue as another option, this experience has made me very wary and I shall be very careful about how I use premium themes to make sure that I never leave any customer of mine in this situation. Lesson learned.
by
by
by
by
by
by