2671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

Are you allowed to do include plugins with a wordpress theme. The GPL license would suggest you are.

250 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

Yeah I’d say so, I’m using one in my upcoming theme and I know woothemes does a lot so I cant see any issue with it.

55 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
amberturner says

I have been wondering this myself for themes that I have wanted to start working on to sell here…

Is there an easy way to somehow embed plugins into the theme? So that the buyer doesn’t have to install and reset up the plugins?

54 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GhostPool says

Some plugins can be nicely integrated into your functions.php, however it would be polite to ask the plugin author if this is okay. In my experience they’re usually happy to let you do this. Other plugin authors already offer info on how to integrate their plugin into a commercial theme i.e. NavXT Breadcrumbs.

In most cases though simply asking a buyer to go to their admin panel and activate a theme isn’t that big a deal. Just try to make it so it works out of the box for them i.e. you’ve already added all the styling options in your style sheet.

55 posts
  • Located in United States
amberturner says
Just try to make it so it works out of the box for them i.e. you’ve already added all the styling options in your style sheet.

The out of the box issue is what I was concerned about. Some plugins want you to configure them through an options page, thus no longer making them out of the box.

Do you know of any articles in which will help you integrate plugins into the theme itself?

2671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

Just design your theme to work ok without the plugins, and then make sure all the buyers have to do is upload and activate to get the extra functionality.. anyone who is at all familiar with wordpress knows how to do this.

228 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

I had to take out the plugins for one of my items here on TF, but I think it was because it wasn’t my own plugin. Not sure.

I just give the user a download link for the plugin in the help file.

27 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BioXD says

Depends on extent of the license, not all plugins are licensed under GPL (some are under Creative Commons, MIT , etc) and even if they are, that doesn´t automatically mean you can use it for commercial purposes.

Your best option is to just ask for permission from the author to include it, most authors are ok with letting you do it if you have the courtesy of asking.

64 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
Kiss_Collective says
Yeah I’d say so, I’m using one in my upcoming theme and I know woothemes does a lot so I cant see any issue with it.

Be careful man, they lock comments down around here for uttering that name…

159 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
peex says
Depends on extent of the license, not all plugins are licensed under GPL (some are under Creative Commons, MIT , etc) and even if they are, that doesn´t automatically mean you can use it for commercial purposes. Your best option is to just ask for permission from the author to include it, most authors are ok with letting you do it if you have the courtesy of asking.
It must be under GPL . Because WordPress is under GPL and plugins are using WordPress functions, classes etc.

http://wordpress.org/development/2009/07/themes-are-gpl-too/

So there shouldn’t be any problem as long as you give the credits.

by
by
by
by
by
by