632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

No doubt this will go down like a fart in a lift but it’s worth the gamble.

Why do Envato let people use thumbs that look nothing like the item they’re selling. Earlier I saw a smiley face, I clicked it thinking it might be a good theme for a nursery school project I’ve got coming up, err..no, the theme is a silvery colour, professional yeah but nothing to do with smileys.

Wierd.

Not so common but just so frustrating are the overdone preview images, yeah you can make pretty graphics, great but can I at least get some clue as to what the theme loooks like.

You all know me by now, I don’t bite my tongue, I’m not here to p?ss people off, I just tell it how it is and I think there’s probably a few buyers who’d agree with me, sorry guys.

...hey, I just thought, I could write a great Blog article ‘Designing for the impatient’. Interested?

232 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
chilly_orange says

I don’t think it’s Envato’s responsibility to enforce guidelines with regards to how thumbnails should or should not look…

If an author chooses to come up with a thumb that has nothing to do with his or her template, most likely this will have some negative impact on the sales volume for that particular item; I guess that should be enough motivation for authors to come up meaningful thumbs instead of ones that just look pretty.

6029 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Although it is not a big issue, sometimes it is disappointing when we see so much of difference between thumb and original file. I have seen thumbs with 3D perspective view of content (Flash) but only after seeing the preview I realize it is nothing more than usual 2D. The same can happen to the buyers and as a result, chance to assume all other files in the same manner and skipping without checking the preview.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

What about when they advertise a game on television. They never show you what it actually looks like when you play it. Instead they only show you footage from the mini movies that play between levels ;)

1125 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
hansv says

@robbydesigns You could write on his item a comment, in which you say that the thumbnail does not look like the item itself…. that would maybe make him change it…. or other users would suggest the same.

632 posts
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says
If an author chooses to come up with a thumb that has nothing to do with his or her template, most likely this will have some negative impact on the sales volume for that particular item; I guess that should be enough motivation for authors to come up meaningful thumbs instead of ones that just look pretty.

+1 My point exactly.

535 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
dimumurray says
+1 My point exactly.

Wouldn’t that make your post redundant then?

2309 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

I’m no marketing expert but I think the opposite is true. Consider how advertising copy and images in general often create higher expectations than the product delivers. There must be marketing experts out there who have calculated that the advantage gained by luring more customers to the point of sale than they would with “honest” advertising outweighs the negative impact created by the false representation. I guess some Envato authors are just following in the footsteps of the experts to get your mouse pointer closer to the “Purchase” button. :)

632 posts
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says
+1 My point exactly.
Wouldn’t that make your post redundant then?

Eh? How would make my post redundant? My whole point was that thumbs are totally different from the actual product they are supposedly representing.

?

I am a Graphics guy so when I do make websites I use templates a lot of the times, this isn’t my main job so I don’t have time to waste looking through loads of themes on TF. I was just kind of asking everyone to show us all a thumb that is representative of the actual design, for example, in my first post I said ‘smiley thumb, corporate theme’. If I were actually looking for a corporate theme I wouldn’t have clicked on a smiley thumb so the guy would have lost some $ there.

I understand not all adverts make sense but surely that thumb is the first thing a potential buyer sees.

It’s not a big deal and I’m not going to drag it out, it’s just something I thought might help.

by
by
by
by
by
by