• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
kevinhamil says

I’m curious how your road to success has been, or is going.. Did you or are you going for gold and simply trying to farm out every item that seems to be in demand at the time or do you tend to find you have better success when you design more of what you’re inspired to create? Perhaps you bounce back and forth between the two ways from time to time, or maybe even just try to mix the two at the same time?

I’m new to creating items for a marketplace, but I’ve always been one to design predominately what I’m inspired to do. Maybe I see something someone else has created and can see a whole twist of my own that will make it that much better (imo), or I feel there’s a void in a particular area or project and it spins off into a project of its own. I don’t think I would really flood the market with an already flooded market item because it seems so popular, but I’m thinking I may want to follow some trends and get a foot in here or there along the way just to help try and secure some extra cash.

What do you think? What works for you? And for veterans here, have you seen cycles or patterns on the marketplace over the years? I’m very interested to hear the methods people find themselves in.

339 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
kevinhamil says

Bump.

I was surprised no one had anything to say on this… feedback of your experiences, etc.. But just incase I originally posted it at a bad time, I figured I would give it one more run through the recent threads before I let it die :P

3552 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+3 more
ToivoMedia says

I virtually always create what I am inspired to do. I do think there is some value in creating things that are a bit different, since like you said there will always be popular styles that are really saturated. A couple of times I’ve made things that have sold quite well, so I created other items similar to them. But mostly I’m just following my inspiration wherever it takes me. :D

79 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
bangingthemes says

I have a share of both worlds, having to deal with customer briefs on a daily basis which doesnt give me much oppourtunity to have free rein on most of my work, however the marketplace gives me a chance to work on things i want and like, i like the thought of someone buying my item because its a nice and different piece and not because its “trending” at the moment, gives me a certain satisfaction when your own imagination makes others happy.

by
by
by
by
by
by