• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+4 more
AndySlatter Reviewer says

Hi everyone, I’m writing this on behalf of myself, and all AudioJungle authors.

As musicians/producers and AudioJungle authors we all appreciate it when we get to find out how buyers have used our audio, one reason is because it gives us an insight into the typical end use of our work. There have been a few threads from us AudioJunglists asking what kind of files you buyers are looking for, or what sells well.

I’m sure there have been a wide variety of end uses which would include web sites, flash games, apps, advertising, corporate video, film etc. One thing I have found as a composer is that it is easier to focus on producing useful files if you are working to a brief. So I thought it could be really useful and inspiring to AudioJungle authors if some buyers of audio ( or maybe some of the composers who have more experience of working to real life briefs) could contribute some imaginary briefs in this thread.

Here is the idea: (This is not a competition, please don’t post any links to files that you make in response to any briefs that are posted here, it could look like self promotion)

I suggest that anyone who has experience of giving a brief to a composer, or a composer who has experience of doing custom work could just write a short imaginary brief (obviously I mean based on the type of typical end use of stock audio, there is no point saying ” I want you to score a 90 minute feature film” :) ) The purpose of this idea is to try to give AJ authors insights into what kind of qualities buyers are really looking for in stock audio, so please base your ideas on what you might have been looking for for a particular project in the past/or generally.

Please don’t actually post a current brief here, that’s not the idea.

I’m really hoping you will join in the spirit of this and come forward with your ideas, I will start the ball rolling to give an example of how I think your response could look:

My imaginary brief:

“I am looking for non vocal music for a corporate video, it needs to be 3 minutes long and convey a feeling of success, power, and energy. It must be positive and uplifting but it must also not be too attention grabbing as there will be narration over it.”

Ok? over to you lot then! come on don’t be shy!

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Well, basically what your example is, just without the narration part.

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

I get variations on this brief every week. It’s common across most music libraries and I feel is highly applicable to stock audio.

Write a 2:00 – 2:30 length track for an [action/thriller] movie trailer. Think ‘Salt’, ‘Limitless’. Contemporary electronics mixed with orchestral elements.

The track should be clearly divided into the following sections (timings are not exact).

30-40 seconds low intensity.

30-40 seconds medium intensity.

30-40 seconds high intensity.

After the high intensity section there should be a 10 second drone-like sound where almost nothing happens at all in the music. This is the ‘billboard’.

There should be small but musical breaks between each section apart from high-intensity into the billboard. This will make the editor’s life a little bit easier. The climax of the music should come just before the billboard.

[You can replace the genre with pretty much any genre you like. This structure of music is followed by multiple music production houses, including X-Ray Dogg, Two Steps From Hell, etc….]

856 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

Thanks Gareth, this is brilliant! Just the sort of response I was hoping for and really useful for authors, if you or anyone else can think of anymore please continue!

856 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

Imaginary brief: Create a 1 minute opening sequence for a documentry about crime/violence/, no hip-hop or metal.

2276 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

I’d love to be able to buy something like this :

- Something either really well timed, like an electro loop suitable for a vfx heavy intro of a 3D modeling reel (as in I’d need a good rhythm to be able to synchronise the fade-outs, effects, bursts etc with) but without reaching the depths of nagging-boredom which tipically appear after 20s of such intros. Key is visual imagination, capacity to implement a visual feeling through sound, I would then just have to reach your level of professionalism in the editing part, but the loop on itself should be captivating on its own, to assure success.

or

- here is my favorite version, yet more difficult imho, using some classical instruments, be it violin, piano or bass, a 30sec intro for the above mentioned shot. Strings and deep notes have great resonance, and their weight is immence when paired with a strong visual signal, hence I’d rather have a really isolated set of notes that build up into a fast composite towards the end, but those few isolated notes should be daring, strong and vivid.

And, if it’s not clear enough after reading such aptly put together description of what I want… I HAVE NO FRIGGIN CLUE ABOUT MUSIC or how to create it, appreciate it, but I’d feel honored to contribute and maybe actually be taught something from this.

Cheers! :)

856 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

And, if it’s not clear enough after reading such aptly put together description of what I want… I HAVE NO FRIGGIN CLUE ABOUT MUSIC or how to create it, appreciate it, but I’d feel honored to contribute and lmaybe actually be taught something from this.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for contributing, this is useful stuff and helps to give insight into what a customers requirements might be.
856 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

Ok, let’s turn it around: what would the brief be to produce successful stock audio with the broadest appeal in a commercial application setting?

by
by
by
by
by
by