630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

I started making this design for DeviantArt but am thinking about selling it as a PSD :

http://notinportland.com/images/w1gpmbcxqo35vhdirgvl.jpg

The thing is, it was inspired by a DA theme: http://frose.deviantart.com/art/vanci-78123717

As you can see, I’ve changed it a lot so that the BG can be a tiled image etc.

Is that allowed?

819 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
mixey says

I’m not sure about that, to much in common…

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Yeah, fair enough, it was just sthg I played with. I’ll make it into a Twitter background or something.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
Siddharta says

If YOU made that design I seriously doubt there would be a problem submitting it. Unless you have a psd file on deviantart available for download :)

530 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
darius9000 says

uhhh. yes, you gotta make it look waaaaay different! :)

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Nothing against you Robby, but things like this are kind of bad in my personal opinion. Inspiration is different than creating one for one and then changing some elements. While I understand that you had great intentions here, its kind of copying.

Even if the original design was changed HEAVILY , to me, as a designer, its still wrong. Its okay to use inspiration as inspiration. To give you ideas, flex your mind, show you trends, layout styles, type, etc. But then take that knowledge and make something new, something original, something that you can say “I created this”. You’ll gain a great deal of pride when you start thinking like that.

Again this is off the Envato record. I’m not commenting about our policies here, just talking from one designer to another. It’s about morals, and respecting fellow designers.

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says
Inspiration is different than creating one for one and then changing some elements…. I’m not commenting about our policies here, just talking from one designer to another. It’s about morals, and respecting fellow designers.

Fair comment and I deffo agree, I will not be submitting the design but I did only make it originally to try out a few tricks the original guy used (opacity etc) and was quite pleased with the results and my greedy side took over and thought ‘maybe I could sell this’..I wouldn’t like someone to do that with my works and having thought about it plus all the advice here, I have deleted it. It was only for fun and I see your point, thanks.

by
by
by
by
by
by