132 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
designaholic says

This is a hosting question that I’m hoping some of you authors could answer. Over the past two years we have been hosting with HostGator which was a basic Hosting system. Hostgator was as simple as could be to install Wordpress and we never had any issues with this. We outgrew what they had to provide and have recently moved to Media Temple which enables for more of a scalable platform.

I seem to have problems with installing Wordpress on Media Temple because of ownership and permission issues. I’d like to ask if any of the authors here currently use Media Temple as their hosting provider. If so I’d like to know if you have had the same problems with permissions on install and the steps you go through to install your Wordpress files.

Thanks

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

I use MediaTemple and haven’t had an ounce of trouble installing WordPress. What kind of error are you receiving?

374 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
_rohan says

Yeah, even i faced no problems using mediatemple. You should just do the one-click install. It requires almost no work at all.

132 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
designaholic says

Interesting. Not sure why I am having any issues. I create the folder as needed for a site to go into. I use Cyberduck to upload wordpress. After uploading I place the template in the theme folder. For some reason Media Temples permissions do not allow for this to show properly and they are claiming that the only way to adjust permissions is via terminal. I feel like something is setup incorrectly. On Hostgator I never once even had a single problem like this. Not sure what to do.

374 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
_rohan says
Interesting. Not sure why I am having any issues. I create the folder as needed for a site to go into. I use Cyberduck to upload wordpress. After uploading I place the template in the theme folder. For some reason Media Temples permissions do not allow for this to show properly and they are claiming that the only way to adjust permissions is via terminal. I feel like something is setup incorrectly. On Hostgator I never once even had a single problem like this. Not sure what to do.

Why did you do all that? Login, go to Admin, Click ‘One Click Installs’, select Wordpress, choose a folder, add the setting, wait 2 minutes, its done.

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says
I use MediaTemple and haven’t had an ounce of trouble installing WordPress. What kind of error are you receiving?

+1

MediaTemple is a great hosting provider

1 post
junger says

Yeah – agree with the previous posters. Use the one-click install and call it a day.

217 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CreativeStable says

What package are you on?

I am also a hostgator person but needed something a bit more robust for a big client and got a DV package with media temple… it was extremely confusing to me at first and I did have to do quite a bit of work through terminal to get things going. I found that the support was not great and took a long time too. I was using drupal but Im guessing the issues are probably the same.

I think my biggest problem was how crappy their phpmyadmin was? It was like only 10% of the time it would let me upload a database, even though I was WELL under the allowed upload size… I ended up having to do all that through terminal as well.

HOWEVER , now that it is up an running it’s great… but getting it going was a real hassle.

by
by
by
by
by
by