backwoodscompatible
backwoodscompatible Recent Posts Threads Started
4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
backwoodscompatible says

Hey all,

Considering purchasing my first theme from themeforest. I’m a small shop web designer and I have a client who likes a theme on here (DK). I don’t want to interrupt his current site, and I’m not crazy about his current hosting environment. I’d prefer to develop on a private subdomain of my site, so he can view progress, test, etc. Then, when the site is ready, I want to package everything up and deploy on his public domain. Are there are any issues with doing this? License-wise, I only want it for the one client, one public-facing website. But I want to develop it “off site” first.

Also, on a related note… given the above scenario, is it OK for me to purchase the theme for use by my client? Or should my client be the purchaser? Guessing I wouldn’t want two clients using the same theme (not very unique), but IF I ever did that, can I buy it twice (for use by two different clients), or does client need to purchase the theme in their own names? Make sense?

Thanks, Greg

3249 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Yes you can have it on a sub domain/private domain in development

The second part can vary, yes you can purchased a theme multiple times(one license for every live domain)

Now whether you or your clients buy it is really up to you if you plan on maintaining the sites then I’d say you buy it as to get support you need ask from the account that purchased the theme, but if you’re not maintaining the site have your client buy the theme so they can get support later if need

backwoodscompatible
backwoodscompatible Recent Posts Threads Started
4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
backwoodscompatible says

Thanks, Bee. I appreciate the info! Have a great weekend…

by
by
by
by
by
by