3 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
JechtV1 says

Hi there,

I’ve been planning this for a very long time now (about six-eight months) and now’s the time. I have every intention to become a successful author on ThemeForest, and am going to do it right (excellent support, excellent product). I have set up the brand (not this account), and will begin building a prototype when I’m ready. I was hoping to gauge some reactions on things though if any of you had a second.

1) Is there an unwritten rule about the depth that a theme can have before it starts to see some success? I have an excellent working knowledge of theming WordPress, but I am lacking in knowledge of the personalisation tools (custom theme options, etc) that appears to accompany some of the better known developers’ work. I like that kriesi and themeblvd (amongst others) give you the power to change a massive portion of the site from that area – is this the main reason for the success they’re continuing to have? Things such as custom layouts, sliders, post types, etc.

2) I understand the difference between a regular and an upgraded licence for a theme, but does anyone know where that line blurs in terms of where the theme becomes my framework instead of theirs? Say for instance I wanted to use a custom slider plugin that’s on Avada or Enfold, would I flat out not be able to use that without paying for the upgraded licence, or could I use the methodology involved (and a portion of the application) to build my own plugin and implement it in to my theme? Perhaps it’s not the best way to start building themes, but I’ve historically always learned by doing instead of reading WP Codex manuals. If I had a framework that I could rewrite, that retained a slight degree of familiarity to one that has already been built by someone else, would I get in trouble?

Assuming it’s not a premium plugin already (such as RevSlider for example) I don’t know where the boundaries are.

3) I know even more about Drupal theming/development than I do WordPress. WP is undoubtedly the software of choice so far in this marketplace, but can anyone lead me to a resource that hints Drupal may be on the up? I would like to release Drupal versions of my future themes, but (to put it bluntly) I don’t want to waste my time either for ten purchases a year later. I have seen tabvn’s success here, but Drupal still seems to be a niche.

4) How would I get my theme on to the ‘Featured’ list, or (to build brand awareness) one of the Bundles or the Monthly Free Items lists?

I think that’s it. Thanks for your time!

313 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
pixelgrade says

1. When looking at the success of power elites, there are many factors, notoriety, high quality, support, etc. You should look at the smaller players that have success.

2. You should not waste your time making something that does the same thing that is already done by others. The price of an extended license is quite low for what you get. It’s best to concentrate on bringing something new.

3. Yes WordPress is selling better because there is a bigger market.

4. I would not go there. That is the realm of the unknown. And anyway it won’t happen when you are new.

I hope I helped you.

3 posts
JechtV1 says

1. When looking at the success of power elites, there are many factors, notoriety, high quality, support, etc. You should look at the smaller players that have success.

2. You should not waste your time making something that does the same thing that is already done by others. The price of an extended license is quite low for what you get. It’s best to concentrate on bringing something new.

3. Yes WordPress is selling better because there is a bigger market.

4. I would not go there. That is the realm of the unknown. And anyway it won’t happen when you are new.

I hope I helped you.
Thanks a lot buddy – these made a lot of sense. Just the one more, I promise.

5) Is there a recommended product cycle after which it’s a good idea to move on to building another? So a hypothetical would be, “is one theme a month too much?” or “is one theme every six months not enough?”

Again, hugely appreciated.

416 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

A theme a month is ideal at first but it gets tougher when you’re pushing updates to previous themes and pushing new themes. I’m sitting at about one theme every 1.5 months.

It also depends on what kind of themes you’re doing.

3 posts
JechtV1 says

Guys, you were great. Really appreciate your advice today.

313 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
pixelgrade says

That is why ThemeForest is the best marketplace. We make it :P

by