1460 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Hi ianizaguirre,

Since you are just starting out, it will be harder to gain clients without a portfolio. The best advice I can give is create a couple of websites for almost nothing. This will accomplish a few things:

1) You will have something to show future clients
2) Your first customers will be so happy, they will tell their friends to use you for their websites
3) You will gain some much needed experience from dealing with client needs
4) You will gain confidence in yourself and feel more comfortable with charging more.

Once you do that, you’ll want to value your time, and try to quote projects on how many hours it will take you. If you think it will take 20 hours to do a project, and you charge $20/hour, then quote them $400. As you gain experience your hourly rate should increase as well.

Good luck with your adventure!

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ianizaguirre says

Good advice :-) Thank you.

- Would I charge a client extra for hosting ( I would just add them as an add on domain through my hosting company, but if I give a charge for hosting then it can help pay the hosting cost I pay yearly )

- Would I charge a client extrra for the theme and plugins ? or would I just deduct it from My profit? So I would deduct it from the $400.00 deal? and not charge like $500 ? Would I charge also for the domain or just take it away from my $400 ?

1460 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I normally include any scripts/themes/images in the final quote. When you say “add on” domain for hosting, are you using a shared hosting account or dedicated server? I would highly recommend against doing this with a shared account.

32 posts
ianizaguirre says

Hmm I don’t know what term It would fall into but I meant that I use hosting hub ( which I love) to host my websites, and I just pay one fee a year and can have unlimited domains under me at no additional cost.

no-thumbnail
YannickKauffmann Recent Posts Threads Started
34 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
YannickKauffmann says

If you need help with Photoshop i’ll be glad to help for a little fee.

32 posts
ianizaguirre says

If you need help with Photoshop i’ll be glad to help for a little fee.

lol When I start doing websites I will consider that. I think I am going to work on my skills next semester full time since I have it off and also look to build a small team. The cool thing is , is the team can be from around the world since Skype and google talk is available. So if your interested in something mutual or of the like, let me know.

no-thumbnail
YannickKauffmann Recent Posts Threads Started
34 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
YannickKauffmann says

add me on skype : yannick_kauffmann

32 posts
ianizaguirre says

add me on skype : yannick_kauffmann

Request sent :-)

1337 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Always be honest and upfront with them. Tell them it is a pre built template that is being customised.

+1 there’s nothing wrong with using themes for clients, but just make sure they know that, don’t try and make it appear as 100% your own work, it’s just not worth it.

Also, and this needs mentioning, if you’re taking on professional, paying clients, make sure you can deliver what you promise. You need to be careful here because if you promise a feature, only to find out the theme doesn’t support it, then you’re going to be stuck if you cannot add that feature yourself. If you’re comfortable with HTML / CSS and can modify WordPress themes, then the world is your oyster. I’ve had support tickets before though like ‘My client needs XYZ’ and then I have to inform that my theme does not support feature XYZ and then suddenly there’s a client out there who’s ending up very disappointed.

32 posts
ianizaguirre says

Hi thanks so much for your reply. I understand completely, I will be honest and make sure I say promises I can keep and that’s within my skill level. What about the hosting situation? Is it ok to have my clients websites under my hosting hub account ?

by
by
by
by
by
by