2445 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Hey guys,

So, I just bought an item off of CodeCanyon and got the email receipt as usual.

But I didn’t notice this until today: the download link for your purchased file is something like this:

http://codecanyon.net/user/digitalimpact/downloads?WT.mc=emailreceipt&ref=emailreceipt

Note the referral at the end. I said “Ok, they must be using this in their analytics”.

But I looked up the user emailreceipt and it referred quite a lot of people. That would be technically impossible, since you cannot refer an user who has already signed up (as he made a purchase). Not to mention, the rules say that if a user previously visited an Envato marketplace, it doesn’t count as your referral.

So how can this be? :|

1950 posts Do the Needful
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I’m not entirely clear how the affiliate tracking program works behind the Envato scenes but I don’t see any reason to assume that the user referenced in that URL received any monetary gain from your purchase.

It could be solely used for tracking purposes and once checked against the affiliate rules (a percentage of the purchase given ONLY for new members), no credit given would have been given to them.

Regardless, if you need clarification, it’s probably best to contact support. :)

2445 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says
JamiGibbs said
[...] but I don’t see any reason to assume that the user referenced in that URL received any monetary gain from your purchase.

Nope, never even thought about that, and I wouldn’t care either since I didn’t pay more. It wouldn’t even make sense that the user gains money, since that would split it into more locations, meaning more micromanagement for Envato.

I was just curious how can this user have referred people if they were already registered.

8231 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
digitalimpact said
I was just curious how can this user have referred people if they were already registered.

perhaps from people forwarding the newsletter and perhaps the newsletters being online somewhere and people stumbling across them…

184 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
maxvarlson says

Mhhh, that is interesting. I would love to know the solution of this puzzle.
Maybe this link doesn’t refer to the user that is called emailreceipt but it is an indication for Envato how much people click on their download link through the email. So maybe it only is a coincidence that there is a user with the same name that Envato uses for such analytics.

2445 posts
+3 more
digitalimpact says
MSFX said
digitalimpact said
perhaps from people forwarding the newsletter and perhaps the newsletters being online somewhere and people stumbling across them…

Didn’t think of that, it is indeed a possibility :) Thanks MSFX !

3717 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Think about it – it’s in Envato’s interest, both from a monetary point of view & a business tracking point of view, to put referral links in as many places as possible.

1) The more they can kill off other people’s referrals, the more money they don’t have to pay out to affiliates. (Creaticca, tutsplus, freelanceswitch etc)

2) They can see track where people are coming from

Think about how many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of email receipts have been sent out – some of those will be forwarded to the client, boss, accounts guy, workmates etc

Touché to Envato on this!

by
by
by
by
by
by