• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says

Marketplace first, community second. Enhance the marketplace, then expand to incorporate community services if necessary.

All of the people who I really need to connect with here, I got them on PM/e-mail/Gtalk/Skype, more than enough.

1389 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
Pdesignx says
i can imagine the anwser that a staff member will write here sooner or later :)

“this could cause the marketpalce became a spam place.. authors could advertise their items over private message etc…”

when they say this, are they right?

YES ! TOTALLY! (:

so -1 from me

Well, doesn’t have to be that way. As long as there are simple, yet powerful rules which tell you you can not advertise via the PM system, it shouldn’t be a problem. And if there’s a button “Report advertisement” too, nothing to complain imho.

Also, people can already advertise if they really want, via the contacting on user profiles.
I second this, if there are just a set of good rules to follow, everything should be fine. It’s great to do this with your buyers to tell them about updates, etc.

yea, rules may work for authors and buyers, but don’t forget that there are competetor marketplaces and some bad guys out there and they will abuse that feature by creating a fake account and advertise about something or disturb current buyers to keep them away from AD…

according to me this idea is absolutely unacceptable… we all love AD and AD should keep it’s place at top…

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I used to be a big proponent for a messaging system but I really agree with Arik on this subject. Also it does provide a larger medium for spam and abuse. Messaging is available through contact forms, and I personally think that its a sufficient system in its current state.

404 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
JackGriffiths says
i can imagine the anwser that a staff member will write here sooner or later :)

“this could cause the marketpalce became a spam place.. authors could advertise their items over private message etc…”

when they say this, are they right?

YES ! TOTALLY! (:

so -1 from me

Well, doesn’t have to be that way. As long as there are simple, yet powerful rules which tell you you can not advertise via the PM system, it shouldn’t be a problem. And if there’s a button “Report advertisement” too, nothing to complain imho.

Also, people can already advertise if they really want, via the contacting on user profiles.
I second this, if there are just a set of good rules to follow, everything should be fine. It’s great to do this with your buyers to tell them about updates, etc.

yea, rules may work for authors and buyers, but don’t forget that there are competetor marketplaces and some bad guys out there and they will abuse that feature by creating a fake account and advertise about something or disturb current buyers to keep them away from AD…

according to me this idea is absolutely unacceptable… we all love AD and AD should keep it’s place at top…

I love AJ :p

1666 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

Not a bad idea, but don’t turn this site another facebook! I’d rather have more reviewers than a messaging system if you know what I mean.

113 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
pearlstudios says
Not a bad idea, but don’t turn this site another facebook! I’d rather have more reviewers than a messaging system if you know what I mean.

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by