5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
sunsierra says

I would like to purchase a template for my business. My budget is small so I thought a template might be a good choice. But I’m not sure. Are there templates that are basically dummy proof? Do you need other programs to customize?

The one that I like is http://themeforest.net/item/freshfolio/73287

Any help would be very much appreciated.

49 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
LeBrIt says

WTF ?? clicked on link like an idiot and it showed up as message your account now been verified.. meh… :D

5 posts
sunsierra says

Sorry, copied the wrong link… let me emphasize the “dummy” part of my question ;)

738 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
Jar says

Well, you would need to be capable of installing Wordpress on your web host’s server (most have an auto-install feature) and you’d also need to be able to upload the theme to the correct directory in the Wordpress installation.

How to Install Wordpress
Using Themes

5 posts
sunsierra says

Thanks Jar!

I don’t have a host yet. Any recommendations?

Would most authors be willing to steer me in to right direction when it comes to uploading? Edit: Thanks for the links… I’ll take a look at them.

374 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
_rohan says
I don’t have a host yet. Any recommendations? Would most authors be willing to steer me in to right direction when it comes to uploading?

I personally use MediaTemple, but others will recommend BlueHost, JustHost, Hostgator and a flurry of others. Its going to be a tough decision ;)

And uploading the theme is really simple. If you use a Wordpress theme, its even simpler. Most good hosts have one click installs for Wordpress, and Wordpress has a 1-click install for themes.

49 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
LeBrIt says

I think most of the authors will probably lend a hand to set it up if you get into trouble… but to be fair wordpress is one of the simplest blog/cms systems out there… and is well documented and as you said almost “dummy” proof :D

Good luck finding the one you like and setting everything up :)

oh just a quick note… i think choosing the right hosting company is the most important part because loads of them have overloaded servers and therefore your site takes ages to load up.. but as jar said most of the good ones got auto install function.

5 posts
sunsierra says

Thanks for all of your help!

LeBrIt – How can you tell which ones have overloaded servers? Or is there any way I can tell without purchasing first?

155 posts
  • Located in Canada
Warll says

The only real risk you might run into with hosting companys is that many of them are ‘virtual’ also known as resellers. Some resellers earn their middleman commission but most simply do it as an ‘easy’ way to make money.

If you go with any of the big ones, of which dracano named some good ones, then your safe.

Justhost is likely the cheapest, I havn’t heard much about them but I wouldn’t expect them to be bad.

Mediatemple is sort of the Mac of hosts, a favorite among designers and a bit overpriced. Of course if you don’t know what your doing paying that extra little bit for a fully staffed support department isn’t a bad idea.

738 posts
  • Located in United States
Jar says

Well speaking from experience, I’ve been using Bluehost for a while. (running on 2 years now!) They’ve been great, extremely minimum downtime (If any, I haven’t noticed at all) and any problems I’ve encountered were simply user-error (my fault). They use Fantastico, which is an auto-installer for Wordpress as well as tons of other applications like osCommerce, etc. And of course they use cPanel.

Sign up is pretty straight forward and you get a free domain out of it, while still only being $7 a month for the host. They’ve been great to me, I think it’ll suit you just fine.

by
by
by
by
by
by