7372 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

“Is Envato focusing too much attention to top selling files?”

partially yes, is just an really old system that was made when no one even knew if this “online marketplace” will actually work. There were a couple of items, you show them by date, then you show those who got some sales,

off course is not a good system when you have millions of items. How to improve this system needs to be done by people who are very good on this particular user interface area, probably not many of them on this planet and very hard to find even if you have money to pay.

now envato is taking the step by step approach, change a bit there, see what happens, change something else if sales don’t go to hell. Very risky but as long as your income is not going down there’s no hurry.

322 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
mothinkers says

Anyone else can see this? I can only see this page on Videohive, not the other marketplaces, it seem like envato is focusing even more on popular files!
What do you think about it!

Edit Changing the image! Left the balance visible :D

5950 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Anyone else can see this? I can only see this page on Videohive, not the other marketplaces, it seem like envato is focusing even more on popular files!

That’s not Popular files. That’s just featured item thumbnails enlarged – not a problem.

5084 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

The problem is that where once upon a time the featured file might be a new and exceptionally unusual or creative piece of work, the guys who choose them also now seem to wait until a file has proven or is proving itself in terms of sales before featuring it. So the featured file is also pretty strongly affected by sales too.

It’s true that there are very few ways for the middle ground or new files to get exposure. Envato is a system where a tiny, very visible percentage rises to the top and earns well (mega-well in the case of TF) and the rest sinks to the bottom, not covering the time input with anything even approaching a subsisitence level of pay.

322 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
mothinkers says

That’s not Popular files. That’s just featured item thumbnails enlarged – not a problem.

Yes, i’ve seen that VF, In fact, I wrote popular files. Just wanted to hear some consideration.. I think they’re VEEERY BIG now! :ohrly:

109 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Europe
themespirit says

Whenever these issues come up in the forums, it surprises me that hardly anyone ever mentions the ‘Search’ facility in the top right… Yes believe me there is one there.

Personally when I’m looking for something specific, the site search function is always my first port of call. You can also narrow it down to search within a specific category, for example if I’m looking for a WP theme that uses Bootstrap. I go to the WP category and the search in that for BS (I meant Bootstrap, by the way ;)

It would be interesting to know if many people actually use the search function, or is it just me?

Maybe making the search function better and more prominent would stop people just going straight to the popular files pages first, and would certainly make Authors think harder about their use of keywords for their items.

580 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FlossieWood says

I think we have a real problem with it in AJ we really need a search function that is more categorised for the buyer. I haven’t seen another stock library with such a general search anywhere! Please can we have this Envato????!!

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

I have a problem with the sub menus that show at hover. They all show the first item “Popular items” and it kinda makes the viewer to click that link, instead of looking for “All Items” option or other ones.

105 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
erwin_schro says

I have a problem with the sub menus that show at hover. They all show the first item “Popular items” and it kinda makes the viewer to click that link, instead of looking for “All Items” option or other ones.

What a fantastic balance you have there! Sorry out of topic :)...let’s move on…

by
by
by
by
by
by