• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says
It’s like saying “is the world dying” and then say actually I don’t think it is.. I just wanted to make that statement :P

You don’t say, you ask. It’s not an implication, it’s a question.

Is b happening to a? =/= b is happening to a.

4526 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says
If I were to think that flash is dying then I would call it “Flash is dying” and explain my arguments, however it’s an open ended question, “is flash dying? (voice your opinions)”. Get it? :)

No I don’t get it lol… well I’m voicing my opinions.. so where is your opinions backing up your question “Is Flash dying?” ;)

2098 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I think it will continue to be used but as always you never know what is around the corner the always new inovations coming out!

The main way i see flash dying quick is if some thing happens like there is a mass virus that effects only pc’s and all of a suddent every one starts using apples they would then stop every one using flash and come out with a new language like Iflash

you never know crazier things have happened!

P.s i am not starting a apple war, but if anyone want to i will sta an apple war thread! LOL

4526 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

If Flash was dying… they would not be pre-installing Flash into all new TV’s ;)

1125 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
hansv says

I think that Apples’ devices are going to make things difficult for flash. As everyone wants its webpage to be seen by the most viewiers posible (just as the article that Arik pointed out says).

But I think that it all depends on how succesful stuff like the Ipad becomes. There also some upcoming tablet alternatives on its way to the market:

http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/9-upcoming-tablet-alternatives-to-the-apple-ipad/

And last but not least it depends on the strategy of Adobe to “save” Flash. Flash CS5 will be trying to make flash availabe for Apples’ devices (at least as stand alone software). See here: http://www.slashgear.com/adobe-talk-ipad-flash-alternatives-2871789/

I think that Adobe is now the one who has to come up with a solution. They might even have the option to sue Apple for abuse of market powers…... They are restricting the market for competing alternatives to their apps…. (If Ipad becomes very succesful even for abuse of monopoly market powers)

240 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
rarepearldesign says

I would say it’s not as big as it used to be and although you could call it declining, I would say it’s not dying. Social media games are way too big and popular (and usually riding on Flash) to really die anytime soon.

For straight up web development, I personally don’t use a lot of flash ever and although I use CU3ER on my site, I actually don’t like it and will be removing it for something in jQuery.

What a ramble…declining yes, dying no.

675 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Philippines
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
dexterous says

Flash is dying, nor its on its way out. No other technology has the power to replace Flash right now.

To support my argument, I am working in the flash development platform since past 7 years, and right now I see more job requirements (both long term and short term) for flash developers than it was ever.

If you say that TF is doing more sales than AD, then probably I will agree to it, because more people want a Site template or a WP template than a flash widget or utility. but that is in no way to judge that flash is on its way out. I am flash developer since s long, but I also use wordpress for my blog.

Coming to iPad, well I am sure that flash isn’t supported there just because it cannot work with the multi touch feature of the Apple’s platform .. and I am also sure that Adobe is working on it and not after long, you may see flash being supported on iPad like applications.

over 90% of all internet users have flash on there machine.

over 70% of ALL the video content online (including the ones those are forbidden to watch) are delivered in the flash platform.

And if you think that moving things around using jQuery is equivalent of having flash .. than I am sorry to say but you are so wrong. flash is not only about tweening.

And to all the AD authors who are reading this – don’t get disheartened by looking at the sales of new files .. instead look at the top sellers and you will agree that the top sellers are doing as good as they ever did. Make something which the buyers are looking for (Site templates basically) and it will definitely sell.

2201 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says
If I were to think that flash is dying then I would call it “Flash is dying” and explain my arguments, however it’s an open ended question, “is flash dying? (voice your opinions)”. Get it? :)
No I don’t get it lol… well I’m voicing my opinions.. so where is your opinions backing up your question “Is Flash dying?” ;)

Dude, I don’t have an opinion. None, zero, nada. I started this thread to make sure the ipad thread isn’t being hijacked into a flash discussion. I don’t work with flash, I know jack shit about flash, I am not in the position to argue here. My opinion, which I can’t really have, has no real arguments behind it because I don’t work with flash.

It’s a question, like where do babies come from? There is absolutely no implication. I want you and other people to fight it out here rather than fighting it out in the other thread.

Edit: Look at the posts above this one, that’s what I wanted to see.

755 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
djankey says
4526 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says
And to all the AD authors who are reading this – don’t get disheartened by looking at the sales of new files .. instead look at the top sellers and you will agree that the top sellers are doing as good as they ever did. Make something which the buyers are looking for (Site templates basically) and it will definitely sell.

The only reason why sales look down on AD.. especially on new files. Is that there are a lot more new authors joining and a lot more files . So therefore more people to share the pie. So it appears sales are declining but actually they’re just being spread out more. I wouldn’t be surprised if AD is doing way better in sales overall compared to TF. TF just has a fewer authors and fewer files than AD… so sales on each file look higher. That is the most logical explanation. Basically TF is where AD was 1 year ago.

by
by
by
by
by
by