183 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in South Africa
modernworldweb says

hi there. i am currently learning wordpress and i was wondering if it is ok to use a layout of an existing template but change everything else???

Another question, are the free layout options available to use from somewhere?

Thanks a lot :)

109 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Weborithm says

You mean like the Header, Navigation, Body, Sidebar and Footer?

Most layouts are common across all websites, i.e they contain the same layout elements more or less, it’s the design and the content in the layout where your creativity comes into play and what makes a template/theme unique.

Just search for “Free CSS layouts”, “Free Website Templates” and you’ll find a bazillion references.

960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Are you looking for a skeleton Wordpress Theme with zero styling? If you are, i highly recommend you check out Elliot Jay Stocks “naked” theme – Google it.

That’s what I use to mess around with Wordpress, although I’ve not yet uploaded one as a template since I’m more of an interface guy.

Hope that helps.

183 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in South Africa
modernworldweb says

yes i do mean the header, navigation, body, sidebar and footer – im not too sure if its a skeleton im looking for but im checking it out…

But basically my question here is if i see a layout on a theme i like – can i copy and modify the the style?

109 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Weborithm says
But basically my question here is if i see a layout on a theme i like – can i copy and modify the the style?

I wouldn’t suggest it, as the authors here might not like that and probably end up reporting your template (or others will). I’ve seen a few threads here before like that where some designs had similarities and the authors got protective.

If anything just use it as reference for spacing and positioning. By the time you’re comfortable with that you’ll have your own ideas :-)

If you’re just using (copying) it to learn than go ahead, it’s how everyone got their start.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
yes i do mean the header, navigation, body, sidebar and footer – im not too sure if its a skeleton im looking for but im checking it out… But basically my question here is if i see a layout on a theme i like – can i copy and modify the the style?

No, you definitely cannot copy someones else’s theme and just change the styling. When you buy a regular license for a theme on Theme Forest, the author still owns the rights to all of the HTML /CSS/Javascript. That doesn’t give you any right to go reselling the theme to multiple people, let alone posting it on Theme Forest. Simply, changing CSS definitely does not make it a new theme. Authors put a lot of time into crafting their Javascript and HTML markup, as well. It wouldn’t be fair to rip it off.

1028 posts
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
yes i do mean the header, navigation, body, sidebar and footer – im not too sure if its a skeleton im looking for but im checking it out… But basically my question here is if i see a layout on a theme i like – can i copy and modify the the style?
No, you definitely cannot copy someones else’s theme and just change the styling. When you buy a regular license for a theme on Theme Forest, the author still owns the rights to all of the HTML /CSS/Javascript. That doesn’t give you any right to go reselling the theme to multiple people, let alone posting it on Theme Forest. Simply, changing CSS definitely does not make it a new theme. Authors put a lot of time into crafting their Javascript and HTML markup, as well. It wouldn’t be fair to rip it off.

Sorry if my message seemed kind of rude… I misread above, and I thought you were asking about basically reselling themes you bought on theme forest after altering their styling.

But for learning purposes you can actually learn A LOT by taking themes off of Theme Forest and customizing them and ripping them apart.

4342 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
hi there. i am currently learning wordpress and i was wondering if it is ok to use a layout of an existing template but change everything else???

Another question, are the free layout options available to use from somewhere?

Thanks a lot :)

If you’ll use it to learn then yes :)

1050 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

There are a lot of “basic” elements to a layout that are going to be similar in structure across many websites, as other have already said. If you’re using an existing layout to learn how to add your own design that’s great and it’s one of the best ways to learn. Remember to be respectful of the time it takes other to get those layouts looking just right when you do this. By that I mean if you were to reskin a design by someone else and try to sell it here it would be unethical.

When I first read the title of this thread I thought, “It’s probably not ethical, but a lot of authors are sure doing it.”

Here’s a fun game. Guess how many designs on ThemeForest use a home page layout that follows this EXACT structure with little or no variation?

[  Header with logo and main links  ]

[ Full width slide show ]

[ Image 1 ] [ Image 2 ] [ Image 3 ]
     [  Text   ] [  Text   ] [  Text   ]

[ Footer with links and copyright ]

Answer: 43,000 (Note: marketplace currently has 44,925 items total)

Ok, I’m exaggerating a little but the answer is probably a lot more than there should be.

1028 posts
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
Here’s a fun game. Guess how many designs on ThemeForest use a home page layout that follows this EXACT structure with little or no variation?

Answer: 43,000 (Note: marketplace currently has 44,925 items total)

Ok, I’m exaggerating a little but the answer is probably a lot more than there should be.

That typical layout seems to sell the best for most. Unfortunately going away from that traditional layout usually results in lower sales… aside from your Unite theme of course :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by