1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
Saman88 says

Do 90% of all themes here look the same in terms of layout?

Horizontal menu.. oversized slider.. some quote boxes and a twitter feed..

491 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

It’s you :P

Ont: authors mostly do what sells. What kind of layout would you like to see (and buy) here?

183 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+1 more
An-Themes says

Quite so! It’s just you!
If you want to see something different, go a little back in 2008, no more oversized sliders :)

No more jokes, every day you can see a lot of diferent themes, some stunning themes and templates, in terms of design!
I will ask the same question, what kind of layout would you like to see more often?

86 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
refaktor says

I think the important thing to remember here is that the buyer dictates the market. The style of site you are describing is extremely popular right now and the sales of the various themes that fit this style reflect that. Website design trends come and go, and what is popular right now may not be relevant in a year or two.

On the flip side there are also a ton of great “unique” themes (I put that in quotes because the term is quite subjective) in the market so there is truly something for everyone. So ultimately yes there are a lot of similar items right now, but there are also a lot of great themes that don’t follow the same mold.

34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
OhKube says

It is not just you. Yes there are some amazing themes being released that are really creative. But on the flip side there are also tons of themes that look like the same thing, different author, different day.

479 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

I’ve noticed a massive drop in quality over the last few months. Just this month there’s been a good number of themes that look like they were submitted in 2009 and just came through the review queue lol.

632 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
UBLThemes says

ThemeBeans, I was thinking the same thing.

Only 2-3 days ago there was a really old looking theme, I thought themeforest made a mistake by putting an old template on the homepage until I looked in detail to see it was only submitted that day.

That theme must have been an accidental acceptance.

But I would not necessarily say its got worst in the last few months, yes some have come through the pipeline which you think wow thats bad, but thats always been the case.

In general the review team have got it right, with the odd mistake which after all they are only human ;)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
vevey says

I agree there are both lots of great original and creative themes AND also lots of themes which are really quite similar (but fulfill the obvious demand for “corporate” websites).

I’ve been delighted with the themes I’ve purchased so far and I think they represent outstanding value for money. However, I did spend a ridiculous amount of time searching for the right theme which I just could not justify if I were doing this on a more commercial basis.

I think the problem is that sometimes the more “niche” type themes can get lost amongst the others. It’s impossible to see the wood for the forest (see what I did there!).

Currently there are 1200+ themes under the “Creative” category… and half of these are in the sub-category “Portfolio”. The “Corporate” section is much the same. Even a separate category to filter out one-page themes would help a bit.

To answer the question from An-Themes, what kind of layout would you like to see more often? I like the more quirky themes (simple design, nice typography, original features). In terms of theme layout, I would like to see more themes with vertical menus (or, the option to choose between having vertical or horizontal menus). I think this is a refreshing format, which gets away from the “standard/corporate” website layout (menu bar + slider underneath) and works really well on tablets.

(That said, I’m currently building a site using the 3Clicks theme which is just excellent!)

by
by
by
by
by
by