3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

Yes a theme can rely on a plugin, but should they, well no in a perfect world themes should work without any plugins at all i.e coding the proper fallbacks if something isn’t there for example a theme that requires an E-commerce plugin should work as a plan blog theme when the E-commerce plugin isn’t installed the problem with that is 1 its a lot of extra work, 2 well it could possibly confuse the end-user thats not familiar with WordPress same goes for themes that use options-tree other other option type plugins, they should work whether the plugins there, but they may not appear correctly/have all the options

theres also this sweet class to activate plugins

http://tgmpluginactivation.com/

or this adding a notice

http://theme.it/how-to-display-an-admin-notice-for-required-theme-plugins/
18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
IlyaDorman says

A basic functionality like dropdown menus should not require a user to install a plugin, so if you cant get it to work by including it into your themes core files dont use it. Use something you have built yourself and you can properly support, in case your customers want to change or improve something.

As a rule of thumb: if you think an average php developer could build the feature in a few hours dont use a plugin (even if it would take you longer to build it) otherwise you wont improve and without improving yourself there is no chance competing here :)

If the functionality requires days, weeks or months to develop, then a plugin is appropriate. Examples for this would be multi language functionality, e commerce solutions, forums etc

Thanx for the answer, the thing is that the plugin is 100% what I need and is written better then my take on it (this IS my first theme but I’m not that lame of a developer as the guy above suggested, I just think my customers would be better of using the plugin). So I except for the learning experience I don’t see a whole lot of reasons to rewrite it myself, UNLESS the request to use a plugin is something highly unwanted which is what I’m trying to figure out.

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
IlyaDorman says

theres also this sweet class to activate plugins http://tgmpluginactivation.com/

or this adding a notice

http://theme.it/how-to-display-an-admin-notice-for-required-theme-plugins/

Thanx! that’s really helpful

439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
Pixelous says

Guys, I have a question. Seems it’s not difficult to make instead of a plugin a php library and include it to your theme, right?

21 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
andiszek says

i`ve tested the TGM Plugin Activation library some time ago, and it was causing many errors with the Theme Check plugin (and wp_debug errors too, if i remember correctly). so i decided not to include it.

did any of you authors used this library and passed the review process?

thanks, andi

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
Kriesi says

I have included it into my framework and use it in some of my best selling themes. works fine now, as far as I can tell and doesn’t throw any errors, warnings or notices :)

21 posts
andiszek says

Hi Kriesi, thanks for your answer.

i`ve just tested it again (i`ve downloaded the latest ZIP from the website) and i get a huge amount of Theme-Check Recommendations, and a Required notice as well ( REQUIRED : class-tgm-plugin-activation.php. Themes should use add_theme_page() for adding admin pages. )

no wp_debug errors are reported.

maybe you have edited your copy of the library to get rid of the errors? if not, then the Reviewers are probably skipping these notices.

thanks, andi

Screenshot: http://szek.net/dump/tgm.png

3192 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

Hi Kriesi, thanks for your answer.

i`ve just tested it again (i`ve downloaded the latest ZIP from the website) and i get a huge amount of Theme-Check Recommendations, and a Required notice as well ( REQUIRED : class-tgm-plugin-activation.php. Themes should use add_theme_page() for adding admin pages. )

no wp_debug errors are reported.

maybe you have edited your copy of the library to get rid of the errors? if not, then the Reviewers are probably skipping these notices.

thanks, andi

Screenshot: http://szek.net/dump/tgm.png

The add theme page is irrelevant for premium themes, most don’t use it for there options anyways so it won’t stop a theme from getting accepted

11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
cssigniter says

I think the problem here is that you have to keep an eye for updates for one more thing so yeah i believe if you can build it by yourself, you really should

37 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
jontom says

guys, I’m reopening this topic because I have some questions I really can’t find an answer.

I just finished my first wp theme after months of work and I decided to use the TGM class for a commercial slider. Do you think it’s ok? I bought the extended licence and made sure that the theme can’t work without the plugin installed. So basically, that makes me think I’m including in into the package and telling users not to extract the slider outside my theme. Of course, I’ll also clarify into my theme documentation that the plugin is intended for my template only but, still it’s pretty obvious you can grab it out of the plugin folder and do whatever you want.

I did some research overhere and I’m sorry if someone already asked this question , it’s just that I don’t know how to move.

by
by
by
by
by
by