158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

It is unacceptable for a theme to not function correctly without a specific plugin. Themes should stand on their own regardless of what plugins are active.

Can your theme integrate with a certain plugin or plugins? Absolutely.

I’m not sure what ThemeForest’s policy is on this, but I hope they’re not allowing themes with plugin dependencies on their marketplace.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

It is unacceptable for a theme to not function correctly without a specific plugin. Themes should stand on their own regardless of what plugins are active.

Can your theme integrate with a certain plugin or plugins? Absolutely.

I’m not sure what ThemeForest’s policy is on this, but I hope they’re not allowing themes with plugin dependencies on their marketplace.

+1

37 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
jontom says

Ok, don’t get me wrong… my theme does work without the plugin :) it’s just not clear “how” to include third party plugins.

If I’m going to use the tgm class, I should force the user to have this plugin installed otherwise I may breach the extended licence which specifically says at point k:

If the Work contains component items, those items must only be used within the Work and you must not extract and use them on a stand-alone basis.

The only way to respect the agreement is forcing users to keep the plugin installed… but honestly, I don’t know :D Maybe I should just go ahead and forget about this class for premium templates!

316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Copyright is a policy, not a mechanism. It tells people not to steal, but it does not prevent them.

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

Ok, don’t get me wrong… my theme does work without the plugin :) it’s just not clear “how” to include third party plugins.

If I’m going to use the tgm class, I should force the user to have this plugin installed otherwise I may breach the extended licence which specifically says at point k:

If the Work contains component items, those items must only be used within the Work and you must not extract and use them on a stand-alone basis.
The only way to respect the agreement is forcing users to keep the plugin installed… but honestly, I don’t know :D Maybe I should just go ahead and forget about this class for premium templates!

The license says nothing about users being required to have the plugin installed at all times, that would be stupid. What it does say is that users cannot use the plugin outside of your theme.

158 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

Yeah, there’s nothing that says the user must have the plugin activated. That wouldn’t make sense.

I wouldn’t take the route you’re taking at all. I’d build the theme and integrate with the plugin if it is installed. Make it clear in your documentation that the user must install and activate the plugin to have that specific feature. This way, you’re not having to worry about any weird license issues and having to package an entire class for activating a plugin. That’s how I’d do it anyway.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
rakeshnasa says

Some premium themes have options that what plugins do, for some functions plugins not necessary, we can do it manually. i am using free theme and 80% modified design using CSS , check this http://www.worldlistmania.com/

by
by
by
by
by
by