209 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Greece
+2 more
corethemes says

Hello people,

I have a pretty competent PC, easily able to run Photoshop, Flash, and every other application I could potentially use for Web Design. However, I have set my eyes in a iMac around ~1200€.

My question is: Is it worth it? Is there anything on a Mac that will help me and my work? Applications, the OS itself, or should I just wait for my PC to get older and get a much more powerful one down the road?

Thank you in advance, Nikos

377 posts
    Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
kaaz says

Is there anything on a Mac that will help me and my work?

So, macs : 1. are simple 2. fast 3. virus free 4. have good software 5. worth what you pay 6. compatible with existing hardware (printers, routers, external hard drives etc..) 7. amazing little machines that will get your work done, headache free.

1420 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Sorry, but macs are not virus free. The market share wasn’t high enough for hackers to target them, but that has come to an end: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/mac-virus-apple_n_1625110.html

If you are doing intense graphic design or video editing, I recommend using a mac. If not, stick to pc.

305 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 10+ members Located in Austria Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
squaredWeb says

You wont get a good answer to that question since apple polarises people way too much.

Read about the features the os offers and then decide if it is worth it for you personally.

All you will get from this thread is some people say that all apple products are handcrafted out of pure pixie dust by angels and some people will say its nothing but an overpriced marketing trap for hipsters.

As usual the truth is somewhere in the middle.

5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

It depends on what you want out of a computer. I get everything I need from a PC that costs 3x less.

973 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Ok, I can see this becoming a PC vs Mac thread, lets not have it going down that line..

Macs, I would say are for creative thinkers. The whole industry says it, a lot of schools have them for students doing film studies and other creative stuff like photography, video editing, music.

I do development on a Mac, I love the applications, I love the UI, It’s nice and clean, and here comes the arguments, `It’s virus free`... Let me back that last one up… Yes, I’m sure there are viruses out there for Macs but the only viruses out there will be Trojan Horses because you need to install them yourself (they are hidden in programs), I have had a mac for 3-4 years now and never had a virus or an anti-virus program, why? because I’m smart with what I install.

I would say take a look at what you use at the moment and see if thats on mac, see if you like the OS and applications you would use. Go in an Apple store and use it for a while or if your friends have on ask to borrow it for a day and see if you like it.

145 posts
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Romania
PixFee says

In my opinion, it’s better to invest your money in a very good PC than on a Mac… it doesn’t justify the price… yes i agree that it has a cleaner interface… but i still think that with the money you spend on a mac, you can get a x4 better pc.. ;) sorry for typography i am writing from my iPhone :)

1660 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Yes, it’s definitely worth for two reasons: it’s monkey proof and it makes you look cool. :D

631 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

I have both.

1 pc: 3.4Ghz i7 12gb ram 1tb hard drive 2gb dedicated video card.

imac:

3.4Ghz i7 16gb ram 2tb hard drive 2gb dedicated video card.

Both nearly identical.

On performance i would say unless you are rendering large high quality movies you will not see any.

If you are use to PC you will take time to adjust on the little things.

Honestly unless your windows pc is on its last legs, why spend more on something that is just as good for now. If your pc is on its last legs then yes i would probably go for mac.

The only issue is for 1200 euros on a windows pc can get you a very good spec but 1200 euros for a Mac is the lower end model which leaves it with only a low end i5 but if your pc is older than 3-4 years it will be significantly faster as the i series are good from Microsoft.

631 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

Yes, it’s definitely worth for two reasons: it’s monkey proof and it makes you look cool. :D

Its not bug proof.

My latest iMac had to go back after just 3 weeks due to virus.

I said to the Mac support i thought this was un breakable…

They said nope, sorry them days are long gone. You now need anti virus.

by
by
by
by
by
by