• Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

I run both Mountain Lion and Windows 8 (beta) on my MacBook Pro. I upped the memory to 8GB and recently switched to an SSD drive. I boot up OS X in 5-10 sec if I restart or turn of the computer but Windows 8, even with SSD and optimized system takes 2-3 min to launch properly. Which is kinda funny as I thought Win8 was faster and better than 7 that actually boots in 1 min on my SSD drive. Still, for the moment I only have Win8 installed as I’ve never been a fan of 7 and it’s ugly interface.

Windows 8 is pretty to look at but that’s pretty much it as it’s harder to locate certain programs and settings to optimize the system.

In short, I don’t dislike Windows one bit but I do dislike the discussion, Mac vs PC as they are both PC. PC = Personal Computer and Windows and OS X is both an OS. OS = Operating System. And that’s a fact.

However, I’m an Apple user and I have never been more satisfied as when I first switched from Windows to OS X some 6 years ago. OS X is easier to work with, more stable and has a much prettier interface than Windows. Also a fact.

So, before this thread turns even more off-topic and into a discussion about Mac vs PC rather than the actual subject (congrats on your new Mac btw, again) and we are forced to lock it, keep in mind that we are all designers/developers/musicians/animators and we ALL have Different taste. Whether it’s for the OS on your computer or the food you eat, we all like different things.

On a completely different note. I really don’t like Salmon.

100 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

I don’t know how good Macs are but I’m saving up for one simply because my last four PC’s (three makers) have had persistent issues with hardware and Windows. From what I’ve read, Macs are not a silver bullet and they do cost more but they do seem to have a reputation as being reliable and much of the designer/developer crowd seem to be happy with ‘em.

1603 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

Windows 8, even with SSD and optimized system takes 2-3 min to launch properly.
If it takes 2-3 minutes to startup in windows 8 then you do not have your Bios properly setup. Especially with a dedicated Solid State HD Windows should start up much quicker then that.

I know, I’ve reconfigured my BIOS (since I wrote the post) and it’s a bit faster now. Still, not even close to OS X .

206 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
corethemes says

Hello friends, this is my first post from my new iMac. I LOVE IT ! :-)

It was really weird and unconfortable at first, ditched the stupid mouse and gave it some time, and simply, everything just “clicks”. Got Coda, Photoshop, Firefox, Firebug (duh), set up my mail accounts, etc.

Thanks for all the input, Nikos

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+4 more
flashedge says

...being reliable…
Nope. I’m sorry to disappoint you. Macs fail in the same way as PCs. My old Powerbook left me with Kernel Panics and a dead logic card after only 6 months of use. Thank god a guy bought it before he noticed the fault. At least they’re easy to be sold.
131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Portugal
edumicro says

...being reliable…
Nope. I’m sorry to disappoint you. Macs fail in the same way as PCs. My old Powerbook left me with Kernel Panics and a dead logic card after only 6 months of use. Thank god a guy bought it before he noticed the fault. At least they’re easy to be sold.
That doesn’t sound good ethics. But that’s probably just me. :S
1603 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

...being reliable…

It’s all about the components. If the components malfunction it don’t matter what OS you have. It might have been something wrong with the one you got though, sadly enough that happens for everyone once in a while. With my old MacBook (the black one) I lost the HDD so had to replace it during the first 5 months. But that’s a rare occasion from all manufacturers and it has to do with the HDD manufacturer, in that case Intel, who happend to give me a new one for free.

Trick is to contact the manufacturer itself for the hardware and if their warranty for the component fails, you’ll get a new one, either free or for a reduced price. Intel even asked me if I needed any help with installing my new HDD , which I declined as I know how to do myself.

Just make sure to contact the manufacturer for the component in question in which country you reside in. I live in Sweden so I contacted Intel’s swedish office and got extraordinary help.

Hello friends, this is my first post from my new iMac. I LOVE IT ! :-)

It was really weird and unconfortable at first, ditched the stupid mouse and gave it some time, and simply, everything just “clicks”. Got Coda, Photoshop, Firefox, Firebug (duh), set up my mail accounts, etc.

Thanks for all the input, Nikos

Glad you like it so far :) Ping me a message if you need any help with anything.

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Dream-Theme says

ditched the stupid mouse and gave it some time

mouse acceleration is os X is something very wierd for switchers from windows :) after couple of days you are getting used to it and it seems comfortable. but then you take mouse on windows machine and it like “nah, in windows it is better” :)

206 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
corethemes says

ditched the stupid mouse and gave it some time
mouse acceleration is os X is something very wierd for switchers from windows :) after couple of days you are getting used to it and it seems comfortable. but then you take mouse on windows machine and it like “nah, in windows it is better” :)

Hahaha, indeed. And I’m simply the worst person when it comes to mice. I have more than 10 mice, including some from Razer, Logitech, etc and none fits my style perfectly.

When I first used the Magic mouse, I was “wtf, am I supposed to use this?”. Instantly plugged in my trusty Intellimouse :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by