• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

I do development on a Mac, I love the applications, I love the UI, It’s nice and clean, and here comes the arguments, `It’s virus free`... Let me back that last one up… Yes, I’m sure there are viruses out there for Macs but the only viruses out there will be Trojan Horses because you need to install them yourself (they are hidden in programs), I have had a mac for 3-4 years now and never had a virus or an anti-virus program, why? because I’m smart with what I install.

This is not true, my Mac got one after only 3 weeks by opening an email which i thought was from apple.

even then i did not think twice because as you say, its virus proof.

I said that to support and they said to me it is not any-more. I need a good antivirus now, and that is coming from apple support.

7178 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Macs, I would say are for creative thinkers.

nope

973 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

I do development on a Mac, I love the applications, I love the UI, It’s nice and clean, and here comes the arguments, `It’s virus free`... Let me back that last one up… Yes, I’m sure there are viruses out there for Macs but the only viruses out there will be Trojan Horses because you need to install them yourself (they are hidden in programs), I have had a mac for 3-4 years now and never had a virus or an anti-virus program, why? because I’m smart with what I install.

This is not true, my Mac got one after only 3 weeks by opening an email which i thought was from apple.

I said that to support and they said to me it is not any-more. I need a good antivirus now, and that is coming from apple support.

You just opened it an bam? dont know how that happened because it has to execute to be a virus. Even then a I said you just need to be smart, `From apple open this application`... yh, thats a good idea.

973 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

nope

Why do you disagree? I have no stats but I would say a massive % are people that do creative jobs

206 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
corethemes says

Thanks for the replies, friends. So, I think I’m gonna wait a bit to either upgrade to a much better PC or get a nice laptop to work on the road.

And a Razer Deathadder mouse I’ve been hooked onto for while now ;-)

639 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Haiti
Crakken says

nope
Why do you disagree? I have no stats but I would say a massive % are people that do creative jobs

Pppff, my grandma, my grandpa, my mother and father have one.. They go on Facebook and check their email, nothing else and I know a lot of other people who do the same. Let’s say that Mac is for people who can afford it :P

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

You just opened it an bam? dont know how that happened because it has to execute to be a virus. Even then a I said you just need to be smart, `From apple open this application`... yh, thats a good idea.

Who stated a viras needs to manually executed?

I did not install anything, i just opened an email.

3716 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

I just upgraded from 10.5 to 10.8, so I don’t know how new this feature is, but now in your preferences panel, you can select an option ‘Only install apps from Certified Apple Developers’

Not me saying ‘they’re virus-free’, but this is surely a great anti-virus feature for Macs, and if Developers have nothing to hide, it’s no skin of their nose to get certified.

973 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

nope
Pppff, my grandma, my grandpa, my mother and father have one.. They go on Facebook and check their email, nothing else and I know a lot of other people who do the same. Let’s say that Mac is for people who can afford it :P

Hahah, Im not saying you have to be creative to own one, I’m just saying its more marketed towards creative users. My dad owns one, he’s a electrician but yh.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

I just upgraded from 10.5 to 10.8, so I don’t know how new this feature is, but now in your preferences panel, you can select an option ‘Only install apps from Certified Apple Developers’ Not me saying ‘they’re virus-free’, but this is surely a great anti-virus feature for Macs, and if Developers have nothing to hide, it’s no skin of their nose to get certified.

+1 on that

by
by
by
by
by
by