2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
LucidStudios says

I would suggest only with what I have personal experience. I have been using MacBook Pro for last 3 years and have been using Windows PCs for almost 12 years now.

My professional and honest suggestion is that don’t buy an expensive Mac machine because Macs don’t deliver what Apple/Apple-Fanboys tell you. The Mac OS is a useless OS e.g. the new fullscreen mode is useless in dual screen setup because as soon as you switch to fullscreen mode then only on one screen you can work as the other screen is blackened. It’s a huge problem if you are willing to watch a movie in fullscreen mode and also want to do some work. Another example is that when you sort icons by kind then you don’t have a way to look at all the icons at once because icons arranged in by kind mode are displayed in a carousal like display which again is totally against usability standards.

I can list dozens of similar problems which doesn’t exist on Windows 7 PCs. Windows 7 is the best OS at the moment.

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

Another example is that when you sort icons by kind then you don’t have a way to look at all the icons at once because icons arranged in by kind mode are displayed in a carousal like display which again is totally against usability standards.

You should use ‘Clean Up by’ instead of ‘Arrange by’

103 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
sheko_elanteko says

For me, if I’m gonna pay that kind of money, I must be able to play video games on it as well, I don’t think mac can do that (at least to my knowledge).
But I gotta say, everyone vouches for apple’s hardware, so get a mac and install windows on it, and you get the best of both worlds :)
What games do you like? there are lots of games for mac here.. http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac

I mean the big games, like COD , Crysis, StarCraft and that kind of stuff. Is a mac machine can be able to run those?

129 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
bobural says

PC all the way… and maybe install some Ubuntu Linux distribution… these days all the software are Linux compatible… and the security is top notch.

... just my 2 cents.

461 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+5 more
Sleightofhand says

To answer your original question my answer is short and sweet: Yes it is worth investing

Sleight

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
digitalimpact says

I mean the big games, like COD , Crysis, StarCraft and that kind of stuff. Is a mac machine can be able to run those?

They run perfectly fine in Windows with Bootcamp. So, yes :)

To chime in and answer the original question: I would try it first for a month or so, not everybody can switch from Win to Mac and, although software and marketing looks awesome, it might not fit you. I know it’s hard to get someone to lend you a Mac for so long, but maybe you can find someone with a Mac mini.

Once you have that out of the way and you’re ok with the switch, consider the financial aspect. It’s not as cheap as a PC, so unless you’re over the average, it has to pay for itself. I personally would not buy a Mac if I weren’t into webdesign (or any other professional field where I could use it).

There will always be pros and cons. I miss some stuff I had on Win, but I have some other that I didn’t have then.

Bottom line: like with all investments, study it carefully first. It may or may not be the right choice for you. Good luck :)

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

Hmm.

My pc is on its last legs and i too was looking into apple.

So saturday went to local apple reseller. I was looking at that massive 27 inch display thing, as it was on isplay in the store.

Now tell me, it looks awesome but….

I moved the mouse left to right on the screen and it took me until now to get to the other side.

Is this on purpose, or am i a total noob.

Plus are all apple users small handed the keyboard keys were smaller than on my ageing phone…

Im not takin the piss, i reallylike the macs but whats the story ?

As per the OP. what about my existing softwre cs5 photoshop, etc…. Can i just nstall that on an apple ?

95 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
ThemeLizard says

Lol it’s funny I just found this topic as few days ago I was thinking exactly the same! :)

I’m currently working on an Alienware m14x, planning to buy a Macbook Pro, but not 100% sure yet.

220 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
corsonr says

Hi,

it’s always interesting to read what PC or Mac users think. Well, i used to work on PC, and this was doing it quiet well during 8 years. I had all the softwares i needed to do my job. And i started to work with guys that were working with Mac.

I wasn’t impressed, just curious.

And one day i had enough money, and bought an old imac, a 21 inches. And wow ! That was just… horrible. It was too strange to work with, the mouse was soooooo slow…., there was no background color in the photoshop main window, no right click, and many little stupid things that i wasn’t able to do…. i stopped using the mac.

And one day i was so fed up with windows because it was too slow that i gave a new try to the iMac. I tried to solve all these little problems that i had, and i manage to do it. I started using the iMac to work.

And i discovered really great softwares such as Reaper, and … Coda.

This was the beginning of a whole new thing. I had always worked with photoshop + dreamweaver + cuteFTP. Even if the latest version of dreamweaver were introducing FTP sync it wasn’t fast enough. And coda was doing it so well. And much more…

I bought a macbook pro.

I kept on looking for great softwares such a dropbox, growl, mamp, macsnapper etc etc… and i saw how mac softwares were much more user friendly and most of the time much faster.

Another thing that really impressed me is how fast a mac starts or closes. That’s nothing i know, but i like that.

I am sure i’ll never come back to PCs, even if some things should be improved on Macs (including the price!) but mac are great machines and as i read in this thread it prevent from many headaches.

So, if you have the money, buy one. If it’s really too expensive keep working on a good PC, that does the job too.

110 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
AGSoft says

If you can afford to, get both.

by
by
by
by