• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

So, if you have the money, buy one. If it’s really too expensive keep working on a good PC, that does the job too.

+1

I moved to Mac for that reason and the ride is awesome but i had to grow into the experience.

What got me is that the whole mac setup are forcing you to start to use keyboard shortcuts and one day all of a sudden you realize that you’ve got it sorted and life is beautiful.

Remember that your frustrations with computers will not stop once you bought a mac.

My mac still get memory disease just like my pc and i have to restart.

My pc display is actually much better quality for much less cost.

If your mac breaks it’s bad. Apple takes unfair advantage just like motor manufacturers.

I hate the apple mouse a little.

I have to put my mac to sleep so i do not hurt the display and waking it up is hell, but my pc has been running without stop and sleep for 3 years now no problem.

What’s good about my mac is the keyboard, There’s no other keyboard experience quite like the apple keyboard.

Apple’s track pad is pure genius, you can take my mouse, just leave the track pad.

No more wire’s, my pc table looks like a war zone and i hate it. all’s neat on the mac table, just how i like it.

mac mail is streets better than outlook and thunderbird.

software is cheaper and readily available through the app store and the experience is seamless.

upgrades are cheap with apple so i upgrade every time and all is up to date.

I came to appreciate the mac so much that i recently decided to buy a macbook air as well, and that piece of machinery is a joy to be mobile with.

All the best with your decision.

1865 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

I think everybody should own a Mac at least once in their lifetime, just to know what it’s like and then we won’t have threads like this popping up every week :) So just buy it, it’s not like you can buy something “bad” from Apple these days.

Or even better build some super-cheap hackintosh just to try the OS which you can then use later for some home cinema setup, mini-server or something. Googling “cheapest hackintosh” reveals articles like these: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/04/4-cheap-hackintosh-builds-worth-your.html This one seems interesting: CustoMac Mini ($420) – Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

5313 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Buy a Mac Mini. That way you can decide if you like OSX and not end up over-spending if you don’t. Then if you like it, buy a better Mac next time around. And if you don’t, it’s still going to come in handy for testing.

347 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
andrenavarre says

I’ve owned 4 macs and 2 pcs in the past 10 years. In all cases, mac and pc, it was well worth it to get the apple care and pc warranties. Both pc and mac are computers, and computers suck and will give you a hard time.

The big important difference is not in the day to day ux and who’s buttons are glossier than the other, it’s what your options are when your machine breaks down and you’re approaching a hard deadline. And don’t be fooled, macs and pcs all eventually have similar problems which will get in the way of a project. In my experience, it’s been a bigger head ache with Apple when the machine has problems. It’s their rules and only they can try to fix it or else you void the warranty. So you have to wait for them and navigate their shady policies. And if you don’t have Apple Care you’re screwed. The repairs will cost you as much as a new computer. With PC you have a few more options. Either way it’s a pain in the ass but the point is to be able to solve your computer problem quickly to make the deadline.

The next big thing is the devaluation of the machine. Both pc and mac devalue quickly, and your brand new $2200 machine will be worth $600 in 6 years, and will not be able to run top of the line applications when the time comes. With mac, you will be forced to upgrade the entire machine at once, giving you a big bill to pay on the spot, so if you’re broke at that time well… good luck. With pc, you can upgrade components individually and space out that expense over time. There is one thing with mac, it’s that when they release the new model 3 months after you buy your shiny gem, you feel like shit :P

My advice is keep the pc and get a mac if you can. It will come in very handy to have 2 machines when one breaks down. Make sure to get Apple Care, and sell/trade the mac before the warranty runs out around 2.5 years later. Then use that money and buy the newer mac with Apple Care again. Repeat and repeat. Should cost you about $600 every 3 years. This is the way I do it to minimize devaluation and always be sure I’m on warranty with top of the line macs!

377 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • United States
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
GoodLayers says

Yes, buy it :)

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

If you can’t decide just stick with a PC.

1093 posts
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
lifwanian says

I love my Macbook Pro and iPhone 4, and will be getting the new iPhone 5 next month, iPad mini in October, and hopefully the MacBook Pro Retina in the months to follow. So YES

Side note, I’m actually a bit scared of this: http://www.androidpit.com/google-vs-apple-android

Must read ^

184 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
RomacMedia says

When you go Mac, you’ll never go Back!

272 posts
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
pebas says

It depends on what you want out of a computer. I get everything I need from a PC that costs 3x less.

+1

192 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sri Lanka
rRomila says

Since you already have a PC, just give it a try to MAC this time and see…

by
by
by
by
by
by