7290 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

just a way to reuse code. OOP in flash its not that though like those from c++/c# but it works.

4140 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
ok so I use functions a lot and I do copy and paste those functions from one file to another, say a bitmap smoothing function… so that’s kind of like using OOP right? :P but OOP sounds like it’s more about using Classes which I haven’t really dabbled with much but I’m still coding in AS2 but I assume OOP is more important when you using AS3 since everything revolves around Classes and Events.

Actually you be surprise it’s not that important using OPP in AS3 Building app in flash AS3 there is no really deferent if you do it internal or external it’s the same performance it’s just a matter of convenient, arrangement and reusing your code in class in a much easier way as if you doing it internal .
And yes you can do class in AS2 it was there before AS3 . .

Also many FD buyer i think prefer the internal option its more obvious to them and much more easy for them to integrate there APP in there project if its internal option .

But what do you concern about DS just do what you do best it doesn’t matter how you do it and in which way money talk BS walk (:

535 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
dimumurray says

In general, OOP is something of an abstraction as far as programming paradigms go. Think of it as a way of breaking up your code into discrete objects that are created and that interact with each other at runtime. Traditionally an object is said to have a state(the instance variables of the object), behaviour (those are your methods ie. functions defined within a class) and identity (each object is said to be a unique instance of a class).

When you write a class you basically have a template whose instances you create via the new operator. Or to use a classic analogy, think of the class as a cookie cutter and the object instances as the cookies you cut out of the dough.

Historically the whole OOP methodology was intended for large scale projects with large teams of programmers. The strictures of OOP meant a more standardized way of coding. Making it a hell of a lot easier to pass off code to other team members and boosting productivity. Somewhere along the line it became the norm in software development circles eventually spilling over into languages like PHP , Javascript and, of course, (with the advent of RIAs) ActionScript.

You can still get by without it for projects of smaller scope and scale, but as you start becoming more ambitious in your coding efforts it proves to be quite a boon.

5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I like to think of it like this with the arrows representing code structure:

99 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Palehosefan says

In general, classes are used too often. Not every file in AS3 needs to be in class form. Simple projects or widgets don’t require the creation of a class.

However, if you are doing something as part of a bigger project, classes are a great way let the objects communicate.

Breaking up your FlashDen 500 lines of AS code into 8 different AS “classes” can be overwhelming for another user trying to figure out what’s interacting with what, and is unnecessary in most cases.

465 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
CurtyCurt says
But what do you concern about DS just do what you do best it doesn’t matter how you do it and in which way money talk BS walk (:

I gotta disagree with that, I don’t write my code currently based on object oriented programming as far as seperating my code into reuseable classes. But I am going to learn, next book I get is Essential Actionscript that P&K mentioned. It deffinetely increases your productivity by making it easy to call reusebale chuncks of code over and over. Not only that if you perform a certain function over and over again throughout a project, if you copy and paste that code, each time you copy and paste you increase your file size. So a file that should be 80k is bloated from a bunch of redundant code and is 100k instead. If we become more productive and faster programmers we will be able to offer even better utilities that load even faster. The day you stop learning is the day you start dieing!!

4140 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
I gotta disagree with that, I don’t write my code currently based on object oriented programming as far as seperating my code into reuseable
I don’t think DS have a coding problem no matter how he do it . Overall the final resolute and how your App perform that’s what matter, no matter how you do it as a coding style preference. I use on most of my file only class but as long you have the internal option it doesn’t matter how you do it class, internal flex atc` .

465 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
CurtyCurt says

No his files are amazing!! Wasn’t saying that, I just think we should always be striving to learn how to be more productive effective and efficient. And ultimately that will set flashden apart from other template sites, and increase our income in the meantime!

4140 posts
+3 more
tsafi says
No his files are amazing!! Wasn’t saying that, I just think we should always be striving to learn how to be more productive effective and efficient. And ultimately that will set flashden apart from other template sites, and increase our income in the meantime!
Yes we all know learning is good (:
5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Technically reusable code shouldn’t matter here since it’s mostly single license. I bet there are many authors who don’t include classes they’ve written for this very reason.

by
by
by
by
by
by