170 posts Amazing WordPress Themes
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Code125 says

Hey all,

I have some photos which i took during jan25 Revolution here in Egypt “As i was part of it :)”, and the questions is, i have some photos doesn’t require release form, will that be okay to submit it here ?

Should i just give it a try ?

1529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says
Creiden said
Hey all,

I have some photos which i took during jan25 Revolution here in Egypt “As i was part of it :)”, and the questions is, i have some photos doesn’t require release form, will that be okay to submit it here ?

Should i just give it a try ?

Hi Creiden, thanks for the enquiry. Sounds like you mean editorial stock photography (i.e. photos for journalism/news purposes). I think that type of photography needs a different license, and is something we’ve discussed doing soon but don’t have available yet unfortunately.

I guess stay tuned and we will launch that category in the coming months!

+5 more
Code125 says

Thanks Collis for your reply :), and waiting for this new category to be opened soon.

BTW I have a question regarding this editorial stock photography, should this also contain a release form as we are shooting street actions and most probably people are the primary object in the photo and you can’t after shooting this event “protest, accident etc” go and ask him “Can I have a permission to sell this stock”, you may don’t have the opportunity to even see this man after taking the photo.

1529 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

To be totally honest, those are exactly the questions we’re working on as well :-) I’m not really sure, which is why it’s something we want to launch later. My gut feeling is that under an editorial license you don’t need releases, but I’m not certain so we have to get actual legal advice looking into how this area works. Hopefully soon!

Meanwhiles very cool to see we have authors from Egypt here!!!!

+5 more
Code125 says

Great, I will wait you guys to come up with answers :), meanwhiles i will enjoy this wonderful new marketplace :)

Thanks Collis for your words :)

2121 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

Possibly along similar lines, I have some great shots taken at a parade with people wearing makeup – it would be impossible to get releases from these peoplke – as they were posing for hundreds of different photographing people.

Would a release still be needed for Public Street Parades where the subject(s) are covered in paint?

Example:

54 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
hothoundz says

Rule of thumb – true in 99% of cases:

Any image used for commercial purposes needs model/property released images (that includes for use in templates here), any RF image needs releases where applicable (eg an image of a ladybird doesn’t…) but people and buildings do and cannot contain logos.

Meanwhile any image for editorial use does not require releases but can only be used for editorial usage and not for selling templates etc. If images of an editorial nature were used to sell templates they would no longer be editorial in nature but commercial. Editorial is Rights Managed, not RF mostly. Editorial can contain logos but you may find certain logo/trademark holders prepared to sue Envato (eg the London Underground logo). They’re on pretty thin ice but since the cost of defending would be a lot most image libraries just give in.

Editorial buyers are unlikely to come thisaway – you need to look at the major newspaper suppliers (Alamy etc) for that.

1529 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says
hothoundz said
Editorial buyers are unlikely to come thisaway – you need to look at the major newspaper suppliers (Alamy etc) for that.

That’s probably true, I think any plan we come up with on that front needs to include marketing planning.

Alamy, meanwhiles, has some beautiful photography. Wow!

by
by
by
by
by
by