I have a knack for publicly available data, having a Masters in Information Systems. So before I dive into being the latest author on ThemeForest, I decided to crunch some data to understand if it still makes financial sense to join the party this late. Naturally, I needed to extract the data of the Top 2600 authors that can be found easily here. http://themeforest.net/author/top_authors
I have collated the data in various ways and color coded them by range where necessary. I have converted the amount to Indian Rupees in some places because that helps me to visualize better than Dollars. (I am Indian ) You can convert to your own currency as you find suitable. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65276695/ThemeForest_20130811.xlsx* My conclusions are:
- The marketplace is miles from being saturated. Promising newcomers within the last one year has proven this beyond doubt.
- Rank newcomers (member less than one year as of today) have managed to make sales worth more than $5.12M when the top 10 has easily sold $4.06M worth of fresh goods (submitted within last 1 year roughly). Proves both sides of the argument – newcomers got a fair share and top 10 kept their edge.
- Some of the new authors (first file submitted within last 6 months) have managed to reach 50k – 100k dollars quite easily. I have no idea if this is due to heavy marketing on their part, but guessing by the number of authors who have made this possible, it should not be a difficult task with some amount of dedication. QODE is the new author to watch for!
DISCLAIMER: I am not connected to Envato in any manner. That said, I would be glad to accept any invitation to work with them. It is a great community here!
Sounds very interesting!
There’s always room to grow. There is no such thing as market saturation in a dynamic market like web design and web development. You might be asking why I say that, aren’t you? It’s quite simple to be frank with you. I can’t speak for our international members, but I assume it’s the same for my fellow American when you go to CL or similar sites and there are people offering CMS or 10 page dynamic sites for less than $300. That says quite a lot in my opinion. There will always been bad and good, newbie and professional. The field of web design has a small entry curve, however the road to “fame” or I suppose elite professionalism and proficiency is a steep learning curve.
Here’s more sauce for new authors to jump in sooner than later. The market is ripe now. We all have the hunch that we have a good thing going here in ThemeForest. However, nothing proves that better than cold, hard numbers! Now you know the value of being a part of this family.
- New files uploaded since Feb 2013 (last 6 months roughly) add up to a whopping $14M in sales! And that includes the big guys as well.
- If we leave out the big guys (selling more than $20k per item), the small fish has $7.3M to themselves!
- If we leave out the medium big guys (selling more than $10k per item), it still means $5M for the small fish in the pond
Other data having little interest for new authors, but to give a general idea as to how the sales compare with all time greats and newest cool kids who will soon be in the big league:
- Top 1500 files have raked in $71.2M over all time
- Top 3000 files have raked in $84.3M over all time
Top files which debuted this year (having more than ~440 sales AND sales amount of $2k minimum in this period) have raked in ~$8.8M alone!
Top files which debuted this year (having more than ~220 sales AND sales amount of $1k minimum in this period) have raked in ~$11.6M alone!
Enough proof that the marketplace is really getting into action – Come join the ride!!!
Really thanks for that!
In further analysis, I have collated weekly sales data of the most popular files (~900) going as far back as 1 Jan 2009. Look around the pivot table to track how each file entered and exited the top sales bracket and in which weeks.
More to come later!
This is really good info. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see some category stats as to what category or item type sells more than the other.
- United States
- Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
- Author was Featured
- Author has had an Item Featured
- Has been a member for 5-6 years
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Referred between 500 and 999 users
- Author had a Free File of the Month
Some interesting stats fersure
I like the way you are seeing things.
Also, just for out of curiosity, can you tell us how did you gather the data? Scrapping?