4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Svecc says

How can i protect my themes from Illegal sharing? Is there any solution, trick or something to need to know?

175 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

You could minify your html on the demo. Although some people prefer not to as most buyers who are looking at html templates want to see the code.

To answer your question, no, there is not. Any one who really really wants to rip your code will. You can make it harder for them, but at the end of the day, if someone wants to steal it, they will.

Don’t let it get you down too much though. If you make a good enough product and conduct your self as professionally as possible, people will prefer to pay the money to receive the service.

174 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
tomislavn says

Well, the code is not that much of a problem. Thing is, if someone wants to pirate and share your work they can always just make a purchase once and then share it indefinitely :/

So spending, lets say, 15$ then making it available for free on pirate sharing sites is something that you as a seller cannot prevent and neither can Envato.

Meaning that protecting your code will not help you in that case anyway, unfortunately.

1081 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says
Unfortunatelly not, but source code from demo can be obfuscated, so for ex:
  • minify html, js and css
  • base64 encode for all png images
  • add a hidden script in js(this will let you to inject some code in the sites where your theme/template is used illegaly.). I did this and in result those who used my template illegaly, came here and bought it.
4 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
Svecc says

Thanks guys! Great advices, appreciate your help! Do you think it’s a good idea to looking for those sites which sharing my themes illegally and report abuse? Worth it or just a wasting of time? Becouse they will find an other working mirror anyways…

4 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
Svecc says

Smartik, can you send me a link that js code or it was developed for your own? Thanks

1093 posts
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
lifwanian says

I wouldn’t stress it too much, man. I haven’t sold files on here in a while, but here’s what I would do.

1. Ignore it. Pirating can be a good thing. The way I see it, someone liked my files so much that they decided to share it with the world. They’re taking their time to market you. Sure you’re not getting money directly, but I’ve had multiple people come to me and tell me they found my files on a pirating site and then came here to purchased my files.

2. If it really bothers you, use http://analytics.envato.com/ to see where the referrals are coming from. If you see a big amount coming from a certain pirate site, go and ask for a removal.

13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
gtantra says

Can anyone explain why do people pirate stuff ? It just does’nt make any sense to me … And yet the internet is flooded with piracy :-P

What do they get out of uploading someone’s work to the public ? they obviously get nothing in return , So why do it ?

The only one’s who benefit are the owners of the pirate website’s, who gain advertisement revenue..

474 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
rayoflightt says

Smartik, can you send me a link that js code or it was developed for your own? Thanks

+1

Please share more info about this.

3710 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

While I am opposed to any form of piracy – creating hidden JS which allows you to inject code or any form of discreet tracking, is a huge breach of genuine buyers privacy and I would imagine against policy for files on sale here.

by
by
by
by
by
by