13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Romania
Aleximion says

Hi guys! I’m working now on a wordpress sport theme…I’ve already done some stuff like automaticly updatable league table , fixtures for entire season and live scores…. The point is that the theme grabs live scores and updates from my web-server, where I manualy make them, but the live scores i get from ESPN … So I’m a little bit confused about getting my theme approved on themeforest…’couse I’m not sure if that is legal…

I realy need your opinion !

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says

Hi guys! I’m working now on a wordpress sport theme…I’ve already done some stuff like automaticly updatable league table , fixtures for entire season and live scores…. The point is that the theme grabs live scores and updates from my web-server, where I manualy make them, but the live scores i get from ESPN … So I’m a little bit confused about getting my theme approved on themeforest…’couse I’m not sure if that is legal… I realy need your opinion !

I am by no means a representative of the law, but there are plenty of sites doing that. Furthermore, the results themselves are live and open for everyone to see; so grabbing them and displaying them on your own should not be illegal. If you are retrieving them in a non-trespassing way, I’d say go ahead.

4146 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

All sites have a footer which contains Terms Of Service and/or Privacy Policy. These usually contain that information. Considering your talking about ESPN , I am sure they have such a legal section in their site and that will most surely answer your questions. If not, drop them a message on their contact form and ask for permission! :)

This is the best way in my humble opinion, better than getting sued by a multi-million dollar company.

Good luck! :)

13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
Aleximion says
thx for your replies guys. I just find out that Disney owns ESPN and their “Terms of use” says:
no Content from any WDIG Site may be used, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise exploited in any way other than as part of the WDIG Site

OK.. doesn’t metter! There are many other sources where I can get “live scores” even leggaly… Well, I wish. What about the idea itself ? Will be someone interested in a wordpress theme with these features:

• English Premier League -Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Dutch Eredivisie – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2005/2006 – 2010/2011
  • French Ligue 1 – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • German Bundesliga – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Italian Serie A – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Portuguese Primeira Liga -Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2005/2006 -2010/2011
  • Spanish Primera Division – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 -2010/2011
  • UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League – Group Stage Tables and Fixtures
  • All tables and Fixtures for curent season are automaticly updatable
  • Probably, I’ll make the “Legal Live scores” and upcoming matches page
  • NHL, NFL and NBA - maybe…
  • League Tables in Widgets, Transfer news creator…

Actualy I can add any League and make Archives even for ALL seasons.

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
crozer says

Disney.. owns.. ESPN ? Haha, damn!

3194 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

Disney owns a ton of companies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney including ABC Marvel Comics etc….

217 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
NuclearThemes says

thx for your replies guys. I just find out that Disney owns ESPN and their “Terms of use” says:
no Content from any WDIG Site may be used, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise exploited in any way other than as part of the WDIG Site

OK.. doesn’t metter! There are many other sources where I can get “live scores” even leggaly… Well, I wish. What about the idea itself ? Will be someone interested in a wordpress theme with these features:

• English Premier League -Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Dutch Eredivisie – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2005/2006 – 2010/2011
  • French Ligue 1 – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • German Bundesliga – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Italian Serie A – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 – 2010/2011
  • Portuguese Primeira Liga -Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2005/2006 -2010/2011
  • Spanish Primera Division – Table, Fixtures, Arvhive by seasons: 2000/2001 -2010/2011
  • UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League – Group Stage Tables and Fixtures
  • All tables and Fixtures for curent season are automaticly updatable
  • Probably, I’ll make the “Legal Live scores” and upcoming matches page
  • NHL, NFL and NBA - maybe…
  • League Tables in Widgets, Transfer news creator…
Actualy I can add any League and make Archives even for ALL seasons.
While its a very interesting and unique feature, you’re limiting your template to a very small audience
13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
Aleximion says

yeah that’s kinda funny… I was looking for “Terms of use” on ESPN and then find myself on page with Mickey Mouse…

NuclearThemes : While its a very interesting and unique feature, you’re limiting your template to a very small audience

Thx for your Reply.

I was thinking that something unique will attract people…but, maybe you are right. Anyway, let me clear something. The theme, of course, will have some features for Blog/Magazine Theme like: Unique Skins ,Background, Styles,Sliders,Shortcodes Page/Post Customisation, Widgets, Dropdown Menus etc. And in addition to these – all those “Unique Sport Features”... So, I guess, the right question is: Will be someone interested in a “sport” wordpress theme ?

1 post
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
vennardk says

Aleximion,

Could you please email me about your progress with this sports theme? I am looking for something similar to WSPN and am interested to see what your project looks like. (vennardk at gmail dot com

by
by
by
by
by
by