293 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
amatyr4n says

or do we encouraged to write all from scratch?

134 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ConnorTurnbull says

Writing from scratch is always better. But I don’t think TwentyTen is allowed either.

3445 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Well, I believe TwentyTen is licensed under the GPL so I think you can use it if you want. But I agree with ConnorTurnbull that from scratch is probably better.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I assume you’re just learning how to create WordPress theme if you’re “starting” from TwentyTen… While, I’m not sure if that’s allowed or not, it’s probably a bad idea because TwentyTen is definitely not an easy theme to follow. You’re not going to save yourself much time in the long run by doing that.

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

You’d probably have an easier time building something from the ground-up.

TwentyTen is a pretty complex critter for a boring ol’ blog. It’s a good reference but it’s definitely not my style of coding.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Agreed – while certain bits and pieces in 20-10 are interesting (particularly the stuff built custom for 3.0), there are better “vanilla” templates to start from. Regardless, building your own framework from the ground up is always going to be the single best way to learn. Bite as many template tricks from other themes as you want (it’s GPL ), but relying on someone else’s code is a recipe for a support disaster when you can’t answer basic questions.

What I will say about 20-10 is that it’s a great starting point in terms of design – clean lines, clearly differentiated places to insert style, etc. It’s just an all together nice design to skin.

293 posts
+4 more
amatyr4n says

Haha ok, thanks all for your feedback.

As I didn’t find the relevant topic about this practice discussed in forum.. my thought is if we compared our practice using CSS framework such as 960gs/blueprint to speed up development time process rather than making our new cross-browser CSS layout grid from scratch by ourselves. Then why not use WP framework too that also cover features for WPv3.0? But yeah maybe this is just irrelevant/not equal in term of complexity :P

And as I get many advice to start my own then maybe I’ll consider to start from scratch.. 8-) sure it will take a long time, but I have to agree it’s somewhat more worth it for long term… happy coding y’all ;)

353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

don’t start totally from scratch, take a look at the Starkers theme, or the Blank theme from Digging into WordPress. these are minimalist themes with much of the WP function included but no styling. if you figure out what is being done in these, and then change these as you want them styled, you will be on a higher step than on the ground looking up. I think it would be simpler to look at something like these than trying to figure out all the blocks you need to add to build a more complex wp theme.

note that Starkers is a pared down version of the Twentyten theme.

you can google for other “naked” themes

Al

293 posts
+4 more
amatyr4n says

been learn that, thanks Al ;)

by
by