122 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
BrianHermelijn says

What do you think? Is innovation for word press at the stage of ending or innovation is still there? But then again sometimes you do get one of those team’s that just pops up with an idea, and then receive a big amount of sales etc.

But anyway…discuss your thoughts below :D

153 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
wpminima says

Innovation cannot and never will be at it’s end :)

It will most likely be harder to achieve but those who will try hard and make something amazing and unique will always get the recognition they deserve by other authors :) Clients will most likely not always be able to appreciate this.

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Not even close.

No disrespect, but it’s not us limiting ourselves, it’s the big number of clients putting limits on us by buying the same generic look and themes, innovation rarely sells and is appreciated.

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

I don’t think it really has to do with WordPress, when coming to these marketplaces. WordPress is just a CMS that makes adding content to your site easy, and it just happens to be very popular and lots of people buy themes for it.

I think the real “innovation” you meant is actually the most important thing that sells stuff (at least, on ThemeForest): design. And that won’t end: new trends come, old trends come back, and so on.

So I wouldn’t worry. I sure am not packing my bags anytime soon.

153 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
wpminima says

Not even close. No disrespect, but it’s not us limiting ourselves, it’s the big number of clients putting limits on us by buying the same generic look and themes, innovation rarely sells and is appreciated.

Sadly this is the truth :)

122 posts
BrianHermelijn says

Innovation cannot and never will be at it’s end :) It will most likely be harder to achieve but those who will try hard and make something amazing and unique will always get the recognition they deserve by other authors :) Clients will most likely not always be able to appreciate this.

This is what most new developer’s faces in some way…and I gotta agree with you there FinalDestiny.

I am glad to hear that digitalimpact, because as new authors come in (even though I am new myself, and I haven’t post anything) I plan on starting a team with someone else.

But when we started to discuss about wordpress, we were like…okay what there is to make? Since the market is so cluttered that you don’t even know what the heck to create any more…which is sad in some way :|

1036 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

And… we’ve reached the end of the internet. Originality has completely been stopped in every way shape and form. Suicide pact anyone?

The way I look at it, if we’re still coming up with original designs for something as simple as a chair, and after thousands of years of chair designs, I think we can probably find few new things for WP. :D

122 posts
BrianHermelijn says

And… we’ve reached the end of the internet. Originality has completely been stopped in every way shape and form. Suicide pact anyone? The way I look at it, if we’re still coming up with original designs for something as simple as a chair, and after thousands of years of chair designs, I think we can probably find few new things for WP. :D

Suicide pact XD . Interesting.

That’s definitely true, that no matter how limited things become, there will always be more possibilities. It just requires someone to think further..I guess.

Great point, Parallelus :D

+10 more
Parallelus says

And… we’ve reached the end of the internet. Originality has completely been stopped in every way shape and form. Suicide pact anyone? The way I look at it, if we’re still coming up with original designs for something as simple as a chair, and after thousands of years of chair designs, I think we can probably find few new things for WP. :D

Suicide pact XD . Interesting.

That’s definitely true, that no matter how limited things become, there will always be more possibilities. It just requires someone to think further..I guess.

Great point, Parallelus :D

And don’t forget about reusing old ideas as if they were new again after everyone forgets about them because it was so long ago. :P

That’s only half a joke. In anything there are cycles and at some point what was popular 5 years ago will be popular again. It’s inevitable that someone will have a completely original idea that if they look hard enough they will find someone else already did it.

Matter of fact, it happened to me last week when I found a theme here that had almost every idea I had just drawn the week before in a new design. All the design parts I felt were the differentiating features, setting it apart from other themes, this theme had them. I actually questioned if someone could have been hacking me or monitoring my email. My jaw dropped because if I hadn’t done this design myself I would have sworn the original designs were copied. So, I had to start all over, even though these were original ideas I still didn’t want my work looking that similar to someone else’s, no matter how innocent, they were far to much alike for me.

Unfortunately, there is a severe lack of integrity and ethics at this level on the marketplace. Just look at the top selling items and then dig through themes from 6-12 months ago. You’ll find nearly identical versions already existed by other authors. It’s like a plague of copying and duplication.

+10 more
Parallelus says

Follow up note: There are exceptions to what I said about the copying. I find some authors on this marketplace to be inspirational in their originality. I just wish there were more of them.

by
by
by
by
by
by