• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I recently purchased an image from PhotoDune and on the page after purchasing I noticed the advertising for ThemeForest themes. Now I understand Envato is a business (and many of you will say this) but why show the top selling themes from ThemeForest when I was shopping on PhotoDune? Why not show top selling or interesting PhotoDune items? Or images relating to what I purchased, like more pictures of “human hands”.. why do I need to see WordPress themes?

So basically for every purchase on the ENTIRE marketplace, each customer will see an advert for the top selling items on ThemeForest? wow, no wonder their selling power is so strong :D

I understand Envato wants to promote top items, but this seems incredibly biased and how exactly are authors suppose to compete with this type of promotion? At least alternate or show stuff that actually is related to what customers purchased.

\\

2036 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

When I buy something on audiojungle, I always get the top videohive items shown. So it’s not always themeforest. Maybe it has something to do with what marketplace the buyer has been lately (for me that is mostly videohive, for you I guess themeforest). Or maybe audiojungle always refers to videohive and photodune always to themeforest.

993 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
mudi says

I think it assumes that if you buy stock image you are gonna use it in theme and if you buy audio you wanna put in video :p

4500 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I buy a few photo’s and I’ve noticed it always goes to ThemeForest. But even if some marketplaces show other marketplaces besides theme forest still I think when you purchase something, it should show top items similar to what you purchased. We can’t keep showing the top sellers of all time every time, because how would authors who are close to being top sellers compete when the entire marketplace is promoting the top sellers. That’s not exactly a fair or competitive play field :D

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

I buy a few photo’s and I’ve noticed it always goes to ThemeForest. But even if some marketplaces show other marketplaces besides theme forest still I think when you purchase something, it should show top items similar to what you purchased. We can’t keep showing the top sellers of all time every time, because how would authors who are close to being top sellers compete when the entire marketplace is promoting the top sellers. That’s not exactly a fair or competitive play field :D

Unfortunately, it has always been like that. I guess someone would need to think of some algorithms to make it more fair, and this is just too much work…

4500 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

A simple algorithm would be to find items with matching tags to the item purchased and then order the advertising by sales – the devs could probably build this in an afternoon.

Just a simple thing like that would not only show customers what would be more relevant, but also distribute exposure more fairly so that potentially everyone on the marketplace could see a boost in sales. But instead Envato just channels everything to the power elite authors.

A lot of authors seem indifferent about these things, but I can assure we are ALL missing out on sales with this type internal promotion to a select group of items.

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

My post had a bit of irony in it, you know ;)

4500 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Ok so you agree with me :D cool, 1 member convinced.. 4,049,055 more to go :P

• Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Ok so you agree with me :D cool, 1 member convinced.. 4,049,055 more to go :P

You’ve been here for over 7 years. You should know how things go around here :)

I guess the most part of the 4 million members agree with you. This just won’t change it.

4500 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I guess the most part of the 4 million members agree with you. This just won’t change it.

Sort of like a dictatorship :D Envato’s motto is “We always put the community first” so I think if enough authors requested a more fair system for cross advertising, then it would happen.

The problem is, most authors don’t seemed bothered – so that’s why nothing changes. And that’s partly why some authors are millionaires and majority of authors make some extra pocket money. I personally think the majority of authors could actually see a decent boost in income if exposure was distributed more fairly, so I really think authors should step up and ask for a more fair distribution of exposure.

by
by
by
by
by
by