• Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@amris,

The original post was not specific about weekly popular page but other exposures happening for same top sellers. Those exposures are neither marketplace/category/relevance based, nor helpful to the buyers; it plainly promotes item based on sales number. This is like making it hard to compete with top sellers. The complaint is genuine.

Everyone aware about the fact that good items sell better. But what about measurements? how we measure exposure? When the number of items are reaching 10000s, promoting only a dozen top sellers without relevance isn’t healthy. The complaint is not about items but the system.

98 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
amris says

@amris,

The original post was not specific about weekly popular page but other exposures happening for same top sellers. Those exposures are neither marketplace/category/relevance based, nor helpful to the buyers; it plainly promotes item based on sales number. This is like making it hard to compete with top sellers. The complaint is genuine.

Everyone aware about the fact that good items sell better. But what about measurements? how we measure exposure? When the number of items are reaching 10000s, promoting only a dozen top sellers without relevance isn’t healthy. The complaint is not about items but the system.

Well, I’m not arguing with any of what you’re saying regarding the irrelevance of items being advertised on the download page. That is indeed weird and should be fixed. I was replying to the whining about popular page items and how they stay on top because they’re there. ;)

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think you’re missing the point amris… if Envato keeps promoting the top 5 items in particular categories, then they will always stay at top 5. It won’t matter from now on how good a file is, they will never be able to get enough exposure to compete with top 5 items. And the more new files sell, the more they promote top 5 items.. it’s a self perpetuating loop hole – which makes the top 5 only stronger and stronger as the years progress. This is why we end up with an exponential sale effect – the data doesn’t lie.

614 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

I think you’re missing the point amris… if Envato keeps promoting the top 5 items in particular categories, then they will always stay at top 5. It won’t matter from now on how good a file is, they will never be able to get enough exposure to compete with top 5 items. And the more new files sell, the more they promote top 5 items.. it’s a self perpetuating loop hole – which makes the top 5 only stronger and stronger as the years progress. This is why we end up with an exponential sale effect – the data doesn’t lie.

But perhaps we should also keep in mind that the promotion does not take the customer away from the marketplace. On the contrary, this keeps the customer hooked. Offer them one of your best files ( best because in top 5, best because customers put you there).

This positive experience will give you faithful buyers, who will more than likely make a second and third purchase, this time buying one of your other less popular files.

You are not selling less because top 5 authors are selling more. Take a look at codecanyon. Top 5 items :

1. Visual Composer
2. Slider Revolution
3. Uber Menu
4. Layer Slider
5. Easy Social Share

Do you think these are the only 5 items people want in a project ? So by your analysis, people visiting codecanyon are only* looking for a visual composer, a slider, a menu, yet another slider and social share buttons ? ^^

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

^ I think we tend to confuse “best items” with “top sales” – I guess it’s a psychological thing that more sales means the best item. It’s like saying Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are the best musicians in the world because they make the most record sales.

The top 5 items in each category are on the same level as items in the top 20, but obviously if Envato is always promoting the top 5, they will stay top 5. I’m not saying those items don’t deserve to be there, what I’m saying is we need a more fair system to cross promote files so that we have a more fair and competitive environment. With a fair system, if those top 5 items are deserving to be at the top, they will stay there.. if not other files will take their place.

CodeCayon is different to ThemeForest, because it’s a component site – and ThemeForest is selling complete packages, even with several components included – which means customers on TF can get everything they need from 1 purchase, but on CC they might need to buy several items. So we can’t really compare how CC and TF work as it’s like comparing apples and oranges. My issue is specifically with the monopoly effect on TF which is more exaggerated than other marketplaces.

71 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
JollyThemes says

+1

+

one more thing that is indirectly related to this topic, the ENVATO STUDIO AD that appears on the bottom of every results page should be placed under the pagination not over it

e.g.: (scroll down) http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

because users especially those using mobile deviced tend to scroll down a page and once they see an add they think that it’s the end of the page so they don’t click on page 2

+1 sometimes i am also stop scrolling :D

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Typps says

^ I think we tend to confuse “best items” with “top sales” – I guess it’s a psychological thing that more sales means the best item. It’s like saying Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are the best musicians in the world because they make the most record sales.

The top 5 items in each category are on the same level as items in the top 20, but obviously if Envato is always promoting the top 5, they will stay top 5. I’m not saying those items don’t deserve to be there, what I’m saying is we need a more fair system to cross promote files so that we have a more fair and competitive environment. With a fair system, if those top 5 items are deserving to be at the top, they will stay there.. if not other files will take their place.

CodeCayon is different to ThemeForest, because it’s a component site – and ThemeForest is selling complete packages, even with several components included – which means customers on TF can get everything they need from 1 purchase, but on CC they might need to buy several items. So we can’t really compare how CC and TF work as it’s like comparing apples and oranges. My issue is specifically with the monopoly effect on TF which is more exaggerated than other marketplaces.

Promoting something does not directly translate to sales afaik. Running an advert does not mean someone will click to buy unfortunately :D

Some will look at it and might come back to buy later. Some will be back to buy something else. Some won’t even read it and care.

I think the real reason people buy the top items most is because these have the largest installations. Just the fact that someone installs your item is the best promotion you could ever get. People are curious and always want what others are running and using. This and the many blogs and articles drive invaluable traffic beyond calculable value.

I am sure it helps to be on the top seller list but people just don’t land on TF or CC with the intention to buy the top 5. As a consumer, I never get on ebay and let the banners determine what I buy. I already know what I want. I look for it. Lots of factors determine my purchase. I decide what I buy, not the banner, not ebay.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Promoting something does not directly translate to sales afaik. Running an advert does not mean someone will click to buy unfortunately :D

Ofcourse not for every click ;) but it’s a numbers game, the more people see the banner, the more chance it will translate into sales. If we take the total number of the 15 top authors sales for last month on PhotoDune which is 13596 and then double that for roughly all the sales in total for a month – lets say that figure is 30 000 sales, from the advertising after purchase if just 1% result in a sale for a particular WordPress author, that is an additional 300 sales per month.

7177 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

actually is how it works. some time a certain item of mine that didn’t sold nothing for sometime is promoted on some website for referrals and it start selling again.

I don’t know the numbers, how many see, how many click, how many buy, but it works.

487 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Jordan
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
uouapps says

+1

+

one more thing that is indirectly related to this topic, the ENVATO STUDIO AD that appears on the bottom of every results page should be placed under the pagination not over it

e.g.: (scroll down) http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

because users especially those using mobile deviced tend to scroll down a page and once they see an add they think that it’s the end of the page so they don’t click on page 2

GUYS FROM ALL THE SUGGESTIONS THAT OUR TEAM HAS BEEN SHARING WITH ENVATO’S STAFF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT A CHANGE HAS BEEN TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION AND IMPLEMENTED WITHIN THE SAME MONTH :) clap clap clap

by
by
by
by
by
by