323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

Definite +1 for the forum – great idea!

You have to realize with most themes on the site they are giving you $2000-$3000 pounds of product for $40-$55

Misleading, for the following reasons:

1. An off the shelf theme is never worth £2,000 – £3,000 – if it was then that’s what you’d be charging for it. It is not a bespoke product, and to be of any use purchased themes require a lot of setting up and customising – otherwise you’ll find identical copies of your site wherever you look.

2. 75% of the themes we’ve purchased have had issues – some have had serious bugs which meant they didn’t work as advertised, others had been released too early and we ended up providing free bug-testing time for the authors.

3. Support and documentation is usually patchy, to say the least, and some authors don’t seem able or willing to create full documentation. This adds time for customers in setting things up.

4. Ongoing updating has been very bad for nearly every theme we’ve purchased, and some authors have removed their themes or abandoned them completely after only a year. The majority have to be nagged to provide critical updates to keep sites working and secure.

to demand high levels of support seems pretty greedy

You’re kidding right? The last theme we bought has sold nearly 4000 copies, and so has turned over $180,000 in sales in less than 5 months. Apart from some early bug-fixing it’s only had one update. I don’t think it’s remotely justified calling CUSTOMERS ‘greedy’ when they ask for help, given that half the time they’re queries not covered by the documentation or bugs.

3012 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
TNL3542 says

ive been a member and a loyal buyer for along time.. i have had my ups and downs.. with the files i have bought.. but im still here.. just wanted to give my 2cents worth of info :)

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
familychoice says

You are obviously trying to make the largest profit by having the smallest loss.

Getting the biggest return on your investment is the whole aim of a successful business – it’s not a bad thing.

You can either buy a theme and work it yourself, Buy a theme and hire a freelancer or hire a freelancer outright

Then you would have a bespoke website, not a mass-produced, off the shelf product that thousands of other companies have used for their own sites.

This is mass-production supermarket-style web design not a personal consultation, the themes on here are worth, some of the time, what they’re priced at.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
jk000jk says

But… you’re not ‘quids in’ if the theme you bought does not do what it is advertised as doing! In my case, I am one of nearly 40 pages of comments dating back over 7 months… ALL reporting the same issues – basic theme functions that do not work as advertised. Also, in this case, there is an author reading the comments and aware of them, but just passing people onto a support forum that does not accept tickets!!! Quids out…
$40 is nothing in the world of web design.

You are obviously trying to make the largest profit by having the smallest loss.

This is on your back to weigh themes up from each other. Some will work some won’t as things change, things will break

You can either buy a theme and work it yourself, Buy a theme and hire a freelancer or hire a freelancer outright

Anything is worth just how much someone is willing to pay and how much someone is willing to sell for. In this case 40$. Evato is just driving the web prices down by having a few authors that make it big and the others in the rat race.

44 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
daihlo says

Lol. I love it when people suggest its my fault that the product I purchase does not work! Really… I guess there is no responsibility on the Author to provide a theme that does what he says it will do, or provide backup if it does not… Nor is there any responsibility from TF to check the products they are advertising as doing what they say they do…

Thanks for the advice… words of wisdom!

$40 is nothing in the world of web design.

This is on your back to weigh themes up from each other. Some will work some won’t as things change, things will break

445 posts here for love
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+7 more
nCrafts says

I don’t understand the you’re-getting-$4000-worth-shit-for-$40-so-shut-up argument. It’s a free market. Prices are determined by demand and supply. If the theme authors feel that their theme is worth $4000, why don’t they price it at that?

How would you feel when you contact Microsoft for support and they get back with, “You’re getting a $10 billion software for $200 so double shut up.”

44 posts
daihlo says

You know what though Ben Shepherd, there is some wisdom in what you say. Consider some homework done with this thread – I will make a note not to purchase from authors who have a couldn’t care less attitude towards potential customers and not buy their products…

like yours :-)

326 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

I don’t understand the you’re-getting-$4000-worth-shit-for-$40-so-shut-up argument. It’s a free market. Prices are determined by demand and supply. If the theme authors feel that their theme is worth $4000, why don’t they price it at that? How would you feel when you contact Microsoft for support and they get back with, “You’re getting a $10 billion software for $200 so double shut up.”

+1

You sell your item on a market place to multiple customers. So your development hours will be earned back that way (if you do well). It’s the business model of this market place. If you don’t like that, sell it for $4000,- but don’t come here. Also not all buyers make as high profits on the themes they buy as some authors say. There may be some yeah, but just like not all authors are the same, not all buyers are…

Ontopic; I think it’s a potential good idea to have a section like OP is mentioning. But can’t help thinking of the people without buyers batch (with an unlegit copy) will be flooding that section too. Especially if they get answers there for free. Apart from that bit it’s an excellent plan.

212 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Belgium
+3 more
Playnethemes says

1. People need to see that 40$ for the majority of the themes on here is a ridiculously low price for what you get, the competition here on the marketplace makes it so that each theme comes standard with a ton of features which make the theme customizable instantly. All themes go through a quality review check but it is obvious that reviewers can’t use the theme for a day or two and then take a conclusion so there will be some mistakes.

2. I do feel authors should support their theme to the fullest. I do it as well, however there needs to be drawn a line between simple helping tasks (support) and completely changing the theme for the client. The latter should actually be treated as freelance work and many buyers expect that freelance work to be free.

3. Authors that do these things as accudata mentioned clearly should have a punishment of some sort as that is not acceptable behaviour. You can always file a support ticket and it will probably be soft disabled

4. I guess the only thing buyers can do is: check the comment section, check the theme themselves on a number of browsers, e-mail the author to see if hé / she is responsive etc and then make a decission. You cannot just trust a theme simply because it is up here.

Hopefully everyone here get’s their issues resolved! Just wanted to toss my words at the matter :)

44 posts
daihlo says

Lots of good points and always good to hear others experiences here as both authors and customers.

But… I would still like to know if it is possible to have a forum for buyers to help each other out in cases where there is no support being offered by authors!!!

As TF have said, it is not a requirement to offer support to sell here. Therefore, it makes sense to allow buyers to help each other out. Can only build the sense of community and trust to purchase.

In my case, with the theme in question, I have seen dozens of customers who are not getting support… I have managed (with help from a few kind forums users) to get my site working with this theme, but I still see many others have not by their comments.

The author is still just brushing everyone off saying he gets hundreds of support tickets daily that are fixed (!) whereas in reality there are pages and pages of comments from customers saying they are not able to send a support ticket as the offered system will not accept them…

stuck between a rock and a hard place!

TF need to okay this. If I just start one up for this theme, (apart from other customers not knowing it is there) any ref to the theme name will be deleted by TF!!!

I have sent 2 tickets to TF so far regarding issues with this theme and they have not responded to them…

TF – any comment???

by
by
by
by
by
by