• Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

A lot of the fault is will the envato reviewer that don’t test the themes well enough, they theme should be fully working.

In all my instruction file with any items i sell i write it for people that have no knowledge of the program explaining all the steps needed to do things, so i get very few questions.

3443 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

A lot of the fault is will the envato reviewer that don’t test the themes well enough, they theme should be fully working.
You hit the nail on the head! They do a poor job with testing themes. They should also retest all of the themes after there are major updates for Wordpress and other content management systems and it should be mandatory for all theme providers to update their themes in my opinion to be in compliance with the CMS provider. The issue I have experienced is there is a lot of false advertisement, lack of transparency and bait ‘n switch schemes.

The reviewers should test 10000 themes on each WordPress update? When?! :D

434 posts here for love
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
nCrafts says

You hit the nail on the head! They do a poor job with testing themes. They should also retest all of the themes after there are major updates for Wordpress and other content management systems and it should be mandatory for all theme providers to update their themes in my opinion to be in compliance with the CMS provider. The issue I have experienced is there is a lot of false advertisement, lack of transparency and bait ‘n switch schemes.
The reviewers should test 10000 themes on each WordPress update? When?! :D

If they don’t, why do we even go through the approval process for updates?

325 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
-bianca- says
” It’s complete and utter laziness to be honest with you.”
Though I do agree that things can and should be improved, it’s too simple to say such a thing as lazy.
Have you actually been sitting next to the reviewer? No! so you can’t possibly know how they do their jobs. Where people work mistakes are made, simple as that.
3719 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Before getting into our point let me reiterate that none of what we think is situation, theme or author specific

First off the marketplace serves a purpose. Why do people shop here? Because they do not want to pay for a pro developer and designer to make something from scratch.

Whatever value you would put on the themes etc. it is definitely far lower than what it would cost to have a custom built solution and the fact remains if you are willing to pay professional rates you can go to an agency and ensure constant updates, exact builds, modificaitons etc. If you wish to save money and buy from a stock marketplace of course you run the risk of there being a lower grade of service in terms of support etc. and even then I think this generalization across the marketplace is very unfair on the numerous authors who offer excellent support when it is not required..

There should be a reasonable degree of assurance e.g. that it does function properly as it should initially but much beyond that is totally different. Full scale ongoing support would be great and constant updates etc but that is simply not what buyers pay for here. Take a big selling theme with thousands of buyers – how can one if not a few people support that many people. The required salaries to do it would be astronomical.

Our main point regards the idea of customer led support. To play devils advocate I see one big problem. There are simply too many “developers” on here. How would it be controlled?

For example I buy a theme and have a problem. The author cannot help me for whatever reason so I turn to customer led support who through a lack of knowledge of the theme or otherwise makes matters worse – then who is responsible. I would be that many people would turn back to the author to try and help them. I could imagine that situation turning quite unpleasant and somehow feeding back unfairly on the author or envato….

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

Why do people shop here? Because they do not want to pay for a pro developer and designer to make something from scratch.

No, because they require a solution for their project that matches their budget. If we’re asked to provide a cheap website for a client with a small budget, or want to put a quick site up for a personal project that doesn’t provide a decent return then we’ll buy a prebuilt theme and tweak it.

If we want a custom built solution and the budget is available then we’ll either develop this ourselves or commission someone else to do it.

Themeforest themes are products that fulfill a particular cost requirement. They are not, and never will be, a serious alternative to a bespoke, custom built website.

If you wish to save money and buy from a stock marketplace of course you run the risk of there being a lower grade of service in terms of support etc.

There is no excuse for bad service, or for misleading customers with bad products that don’t live up to the authors sales description. Stock marketplace pricing is not justification for a second rate service.

Full scale ongoing support would be great and constant updates etc but that is simply not what buyers pay for here.

Do you ever actually read the product descriptions on here? I’ve just looked at one of the latest themes on TF and the author boasts ‘Top Notch Support’ and ‘Free Updates For Life’. This is a common sales pitch for many authors. If support and updates are listed then customers have every right to expect this to be provided.

You don’t want to support customers or provide updates? Then don’t list them in your sales pitch.

569 posts
AlexFjord says
You don’t want to support customers or provide updates? Then don’t list them in your sales pitch.
I completely agree with you but then it says in the T&Cs buyers agree to that it is not required, so if an author changes their mind or their situation changes and they can’t offer it then it is the same situation.

Themeforest themes are a product that fulfills a particular requirement.
IS that not exactly what Charlie4282 is saying?

There is no excuse for bad service, or for misleading customers with bad products that don’t live up to the authors sales description. Wholesale pricing is not justification for a second rate service.
You are right there is no excuse for misleading people but in everything in life in particular things like web design you get what you pay for.

@Charlie4282 I think you main point is very valid – a customer led support service (speaking as support staff for multiple authors) would risk getting way out of control. Around 40% of things we are contacted about are caused by users making changes that lead to problems. To allow other buyers (irrelevant of how experienced they are) to operate some form of support service, while a lovely idea has bombsite written all over it and will only seek to (even if only in some cases) ruin peoples’ sites and backfire on the marketplace.
164 posts
  • Europe
Cara_design says

+1 Customer led support is a bad idea and will only lead to deeper issues for envato and authors to have to deal with.
Many of you have hit the nail on the head – paid for support. Not making sure the site works as advertised etc – that should be included of course but all the other little bits and pieces. This way both parties benefit and it would be in a controlled environment

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of support, updates etc. & for what is worth I agree with accudata that it would be nice to see a “power buyer” or something similar

The two points that stand out (again not targeted at the original post situation) are “you get what you pay for in life” and that this generalization of how authors behave is incredibly unfair, of course there are some bad example again just like everything in life but there are A LOT if not the majority who go out of their way to offer support above and beyond the call, and they deserve not to be tarnished with the same brush that the bad examples are.

To all of those who choose to be rude about the authors; where would you be and what would you be doing if the marketplace did not exist as it is and these authors did make the effort to create the themes?

Yes I know it is a two way street but lets be honest, almost all marketplaces like this operate in the same way and very few offer such a varied choice of products and there are a great deal of people here who either work on these low budget projects or simply do not have the capabilities to build their own sites – how would those “developers” operate without the authors who they seem to have so many problems with?

44 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
daihlo says

All I want is a simple forum for registered buyers to be able to help each other out! Too much to ask…?

:-)

by
by
by
by
by
by