407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

Not really but there are numerous implications that accompany that and while it may seem simple there are various considerations around actually launching it

209 posts
  • Belgium
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Playnethemes says

Look there are a few bad authors and or themes out here. Deal with it. Is there another theme marketplace with the same quality and reach as themeforest? No! If there are really so much pages of comments stating issues with the theme then why didn’t you inspect it beforehand?

A lot of people here come to buy an item and modify it for a client of them making themselves a big profit due to the fact that they only buy something for 40-50 dollars and then spend a few hours tweaking it. If you do not know what you are doing then don’t and hire a professional to do so.

I’m quite upset about some people complaing here and telling us we authors provide bad quality when in fact this might be what 1% of total authors and items on here? Most of the people on here are super friendly and helpfull and even do customizations(!) for free while they aren’t even obligated to provide support for there items in the first place. On top I can assure you all my items had a thorough reviewing process and it wasn’t a quick upload. The reviewers know what they want and they tell you what needs to be done. There seems to be a misunderstanding of buyers that it takes 0 effort to put something up here for sale.

Please don’t generalise us authors and don’t trust themeforest blindly, do your own inspection. And don’t buy a WordPress theme when you do not have basic knowledge of how the system works.

I’m sorry to hear your experience was bad but don’t work this out on ThemeForest as a whole.

As far as the topic starter’s idea goed i think it’s great but this shouldn’t be provided by themeforedt itself. Maybe just make a free message board (forum) and try to contact as many buyers of the theme? :)

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

it says in the T&Cs buyers agree to that it is not required, so if an author changes their mind or their situation changes and they can’t offer it then it is the same situation.

I’m not a legal expert, but UK distance selling regulations generally favour customers in disputes where provision of a product does not match the description at point of sale. Therefore if a seller is stating they’re providing full support then they have to provide this.

I’m not sure how this works with a marketplace like TF, but as customers are buying from authors, not TF itself, then I’d assume the responsibility is with the author and the listed services provided as part of the product package.

If it’s not, then TF’s T&C’s are at complete odds with some sellers and this needs to be rectified as this is clearly confusing, and in some cases misleading, customers.

To all of those who choose to be rude about the authors; where would you be and what would you be doing if the marketplace did not exist as it is and these authors did make the effort to create the themes?

I hadn’t noticed anyone being rude about authors in this thread, in fact in light of some of the issues raised I think it’s all been very restrained.

To answer your second point – despite some authors feeling they’re getting a bad return for their products on here, TF themes aren’t really that cheap a solution once you factor in the time customers have to spend chasing up authors for missing information, reporting bugs, adding at least some form of customisation, and then adding their content. And of course they’ll need updating if they’re to remain compatible and secure.

Authors aren’t building a finished website for customers and keeping it updated on their behalf, they’re providing a skin for an existing CMS. Some authors are also using existing frameworks, option panels, and bundling their themes with off the shelf plugins rather than developing their own.

It’s usually a good fit for budget jobs, but it isn’t the cheapest option so for me good support and regular updates are essential to justify the extra expense.

As a result of bad experiences with themes on here we now rarely buy them, and most of our recent purchases are of plugins. Despite some authors complaints that customers are getting a great deal, we’ve found a better solution for budget clients. More cost effective, regular updates, more flexibility, great support and a better return on our investment. With respect to TF I’m not going to give the details, but I’d recommend authors think twice before banging on about how hard they’re done by, and labeling paying customers as ‘noobs’. We do read these forums you know.

Please don’t generalise us authors and don’t trust themeforest blindly, do your own inspection.

I’m not generalising, just relaying our experience. As for inspections, files for the theme I obtained a refund for was completely different to the demo – how am I supposed to inspect something I don’t have access to?

568 posts
AlexFjord says

Model would not work here a sit is completely different.

The themes there are built by/for the market specifically giving them full copyright access. This is how they are able to offer the type of support they do etc. whereas in contrast here TF do not own the copyright and that is why they cannot enforce updates or suport but as a result is also the reason why the choice is vastly superior here

209 posts
  • Belgium
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Playnethemes says

What I meant with the reviewers know what they want is: they know what the technical standards are, what can and can’t be done in terms of tags, code etc. I didn’t want to generalise or offend you in any way and i appologise if my words came across that way.

Just check the refund policy: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/256/55/can-i-get-a-refund-for-an-item-i-have-purchased

If the item is indeed not working as described you should just ask for a refund and invest your money in an author who cares about his customers. Sadly what the author does or does not is not something ThemeForest controls.

Oh and what you said about the company you bought a bundle from: they are one company. They decide their own business standards and support etc. ThemeForest is actually a collection of individuals :)

Hopefully you’ll have better luck with your future purchases (if any)! :)

Kind regards

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

as a result is also the reason why the choice is vastly superior here

More choice but more risk as customers are buying a product with no official support, no recourse to a refund if the product is withdrawn, and no updates if the author does a runner or decides to devote all their time pumping out new products instead.

We have an ecommerce theme in our purchased product list. It cost $60, never worked properly, and due to security issues was hacked within a few weeks. There was virtually no support, it took months for a security/bug fix and after months of hassle we gave up and had to rebuild the site using a different theme. New bugs were reported by other customers so we never got around to using it for another site, and eventually the author vanished leaving customers with no support or updates.

We’ve lost $60 and wasted weeks of our time trying to get it to work and dealing with the authors sporadic support. We can’t get a refund as TF deny all responsibility and I was unable to alert other customers of the issue as any ‘negative’ comments are immediately deleted – constructive or otherwise.

Customers need more protection on here, and a dedicated forum is a step in the right direction as authors and the marketplace both deny any responsibility for customer purchases. Comment sections are heavily moderated in favour of authors so customers need somewhere they can compare notes and let off steam – just like authors do on here.

I have to say though our experience of buying plugins has been completely positive, and all the authors we’ve bought from have provided excellent support and regular updates.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Comment sections are heavily moderated in favour of authors

Both sides of author/buyer relationship have unfair powers.

For example, any buyer can defame an item in comments. The author is at Envato’s mercy to get this removed and it definitely influences sales when negative criticism is posted. The buyer has no reputation to maintain, but the author is immediately put under question.

Likewise, a buyer can report an author and get his items or entire account banned, but there’s no way to report a “bad buyer” or rate their skills. A buyer can punish an author for his own ignorance. Authors can’t return that poison.

I’m just saying everyone thinks they have it hardest. Both sides have equal problems.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

For example, any buyer can defame an item in comments. The author is at Envato’s mercy to get this removed and it definitely influences sales when negative criticism is posted.

That’s not been my experience over the years – perfectly justified comments I’ve made have been removed, while offensive, inaccurate, inflamatory comments by authors left in place.

Likewise, a buyer can report an author and get his items or entire profile banned, but there’s no way to report a “bad buyer” or rate their skill in using items.

I’m sure TF wouldn’t ban an author without a valid reason, in fact bug-ridden products we’ve had refunds for have remained on sale for months afterwards until the weight of customer complaints finally removes them.

When an item is reported to TF, their reviewers test the theme thoroughly. If there isn’t a problem with the theme, and the issues are caused by buyers inexperience then the buyer won’t get a refund.

They can keep plaguing authors.

Plaguing? If they’re being abusive then have their comments removed. If they’re asking questions unrelated to your product then you’re under no obligation to respond. If they’re asking repeated questions then redirect them to your FAQ’s or ensure everything’s covered in your documentation.

If you’re dealing with frontline enquiries and support then you need to learn how to deal with this in a non-confrontational and positive way. It’s a skill in itself, and definitely one some authors would do well to learn as some of the responses I’ve seen do the exact opposite.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

@ familychoice — I guess you’d have to be an author to know what it’s actually like on this side of the fence too. Any time negativity flies Envato has to get involved. Authors don’t have a magic censorship button. If comments get removed it’s 100% Envato’s call.

If you’ve watched the forums lately, there’s been a sharp rise in items getting soft-disabled. I won’t argue whether it’s deserved or not because it depends on the case, but I hardly believe it’s one-sided.

The refund/review system is designed to protect both parties. If you have a better idea, I’m sure Envato would love suggestions.

Plaguing. Yes. Authors can flag comments for review and they’re taken down within 24 hours, but imagine waking up to harassment every day for two weeks. What do you think that does to sales? Buyers are scared off by any mention of bugs.

The point was authors have accountability, and buyers have none. Buyers can create as much hate as they want and it’s irrelevant, they’ll just make another account. Authors can’t do that.

If you think Envato marketplaces are an author’s world, I can tell you we have plenty of complaints also. Not more important concerns, just different ones.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

@ familychoice — I guess you’d have to be an author to know what it’s actually like on this side of the fence too. Any time negativity flies Envato has to get involved. Authors don’t have a magic censorship button. If comments get removed it’s 100% Envato’s call.

If you’ve watched the forums lately, there’s been a sharp rise in items getting soft-disabled. I won’t argue whether it’s deserved or not because it depends on the case, but I hardly believe it’s one-sided.

Fair enough, it’s true I don’t know how things work from an authors perspective, I can only comment on my experiences as a customer.

The refund/review system is designed to protect both parties. If you have a better idea, I’m sure Envato would love suggestions.

A proper reviewing system similar to the App store would be good, search facility in the comments section, clarification with regards to support provision and updates, and a forum for buyers as well as sellers would all be steps in the right direction.

Plaguing. Yes. Authors can flag comments for review and they’re taken down within 24 hours, but imagine waking up to harassment every day for two weeks. What do you think that does to sales? Buyers are scared off by any mention of bugs.

Buyers are attracted to authors that deal with issues, even bogus ones, in a timely and professional manner. And we’re not stupid, most of us can spot a whinger or beginner from 20 paces. If you deal with it badly though then you will lose sales.

The point was authors have accountability, and buyers have none.

An author in another thread suggested allowing authors to provide refunds for dissatisfied customers, even if there wasn’t an issue with the theme. Maybe it would be worth implementing this to get rid of unjustified, and persistent complaints from ‘bad’ customers?

At the end of the day though you’re on frontline sales and support. You should be able to deal with most ‘bad’ customers with some basic sales techniques.

If you think Envato marketplaces are an author’s world, I can tell you we have plenty of complaints also. Not more important concerns, just different ones.

I know all about your complaints, the forums are full of them. Maybe if customers had a forum too then they’d spend less time letting off steam in the comments section.

by
by
by
by
by
by