44 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
daihlo says

Thats all good if it amounts to anything. Communication would be good though, and some discretion in the process….

My issue has been ongoing, nothing has been done… many other people are buying the theme and having the same issues – it doesnt work as advertised. Its all even very public, not hidden at all!

Every complaint gets the same reply – post on the support forum WHICH DOESNT WORK! All the author has to do is deny this and claim that ‘hundreds of support tickets are answered every day’... must be busy. Even though, every person there cannot post to the forum as it wont take tickets.

TF asked me to contact them, was told it would get sorted… it didnt. In fact, I heard nothing back from TF at all. Despite asking.

Then, the author wrote to me asking why I had contacted TF to tell them the theme did not work as advertised….. So I guess TF did contact him, and gave my name. NICE.

So now I have a theme that doesnt work as advertised, an author who now has blocked me (from non existent support) and TF who are not interested, even to reply to the support ticket I raised with them.

Its just plain bad customer service and has really left a lot of negative feelings about investing my money into themes sold on this market. Some authors have been great. But the whole thing is down to them. All TF have done so far is take my money, and some from the authors cut, then do nothing to provide a safe environment when things go sour. In fact, its even been allowed to continue in the case I raised and is still happening now to others…

I really dislike complaining like this, but I feel pissed at how this is being handled.

Please be aware that how authors provide support is definitely being discussed. Unfortunately it’s not something that is going to get a next day solution, since it affects our entire Marketplace. But it is something we’re taking a serious look at. As far as why the other thread got disabled was because it was turning into a war of “flag the post” :)
323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

As far as why the other thread got disabled was because it was turning into a war of “flag the post” :)

The thread was locked before any posts were flagged.

I flagged one post by an author who felt that rather than address the initial topic he would instead make a personal attack on me – unnecessary and totally unprofessional.

I also flagged the post that locked the thread, as it stated I had breached forum rules by ‘calling out’ individual authors. I had done no such thing, as was evident in my post.

The posts I flagged were done so for a reason, not for the fun of it, and were fully justified. The locking and deletion of the thread on the other hand, weren’t.

If you really want an open discussion about this with customer input then re-open the thread. This forum is completely dominated by authors, my one experience in starting a thread ended with it being completely trashed by authors and mods in a totally biased and unprofessional manner.

Not impressive, at all, and considering we’re long-term, regular customers of yours, not particularly sensible either.

There needs to be a ‘safe’ area for customers where they can openly discuss their experiences without fear of attack from authors or trigger-happy mods (also sometimes authors themselves) silencing customer concerns.

The support provision issue is a biggie for me. It’s not being discussed properly or addressed. It’s wooly, confusing and misleading. We were buying a lot of themes on here (this is my personal account) and have now stopped completely because of the sudden removal of updates and support with some authors using the Envato support ‘loophole’ as an excuse despite still advertising the product we purchased as having ‘full, free lifetime support and updates’.

44 posts
daihlo says

Polite request that this thread be focused on its original post – to allow a place in forums where customers can help each other work with themes, plugins etc…

this would however mean that themes and other purchases will need to be named. It’s not a negative thing, it can be a positive.

I belong to another CMS forum using another CMS altogether and the support network is excellent from the community forums. In fact, it’s normally the place buyers go first instead of direct to the devs. If the community cant help out, the dev normally gets alerted to the forum post and normally provides a solution.

It means, the devs have less work pressure and can focus more time on actually developing (which pays their bills!) – while the buyers get the benefit of an open and helpful community.

The odd post gets through that is disrespectful, it soon gets flagged up and moderated. 99% of the time though, buyers understand that good forum manners go a long way, and are very respectful to everyone and to the devs.

In the rare occasion when a dev really is being ‘bad’ then it comes to light and the issue is dealt with. Mostly though, it allows a healthy environment to be created.

I suggest this approach here, as the current system does not appear to be working in a balanced way. Based on the current, it seems and a number of others also almost get ‘silenced’ if we voice that there is a problem.

Hopefully this gets read by the right people, please communicate to us TF what is happening, it would go a long way :-)

Thanks

585 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

I do agree buyer should have their right to voice their problems and seek help but I guess that is what microlancer etc is for.

The biggest issue with buyer led support is that (not every buyer but some) are not as experienced as they may believe or may have a solution that has knock on impact within a theme. Should this turn out to be the case and something go wrong then the author cannot be expected to fix it and who regulates that situation? It would be beyond the control of envato and could potentially turn nasty for both buyer and for the author alike.

As for biased forums or a ‘safe’ place for buyers to voice their problems – The current forum is the only fair solution. It is unrealistic to suggest that a forum exists where only one side can discuss matters without the other side being able to defend themselves. I appreciate there are generally more authors here than buyers but that is through choice, noone is stopping buyers coming here, and MODs do not unfairly lock up threads – there has to be a reason for it and if you disagree email support or query it.

I am not taking sides or stereotyping anyone I am merely putting an opinion forward based on the original topic, and am interested to hear if you have a solution to the points I raised.

44 posts
daihlo says

No one mentioned a forum where only buyers can post, not authors.

The problem with my case is that the dev for the template I purchased is simply not supporting the theme even though it’s advertised as having full support!

I have no option than to post elsewhere, only Im not allowed to even post the name of the theme in this forum so leaves me nowhere.

I do agree buyer should have their right to voice their problems and seek help but I guess that is what microlancer etc is for.

The biggest issue with buyer led support is that (not every buyer but some) are not as experienced as they may believe or may have a solution that has knock on impact within a theme. Should this turn out to be the case and something go wrong then the author cannot be expected to fix it and who regulates that situation? It would be beyond the control of envato and could potentially turn nasty for both buyer and for the author alike.

As for biased forums or a ‘safe’ place for buyers to voice their problems – The current forum is the only fair solution. It is unrealistic to suggest that a forum exists where only one side can discuss matters without the other side being able to defend themselves. I appreciate there are generally more authors here than buyers but that is through choice, noone is stopping buyers coming here, and MODs do not unfairly lock up threads – there has to be a reason for it and if you disagree email support or query it.

I am not taking sides or stereotyping anyone I am merely putting an opinion forward based on the original topic, and am interested to hear if you have a solution to the points I raised.
148 posts
loveetc says

The problem with my case is that the dev for the template I purchased is simply not supporting the theme even though it’s advertised as having full support!

You had a bad experience, get over it now. Next time when you plan to buy a theme, just look at the theme comments section and also look at theme last update date.

5388 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

If you really want an open discussion about this with customer input then re-open the thread. This forum is completely dominated by authors, my one experience in starting a thread ended with it being completely trashed by authors and mods in a totally biased and unprofessional manner.

We very much want feedback from buyers. In fact I wish there were much, much more. As far as the other post goes, besides the calling out and flagging, this thread was already doing a good job of discussing the very same topic, so we thought it was better to keep everything in one place :)

44 posts
daihlo says

You had a bad experience, get over it now. Next time when you plan to buy a theme, just look at the theme comments section and also look at theme last update date.

Thanks for that. Really helpful post there :-)

The theme I purchased does have a long list of complaints in the comments. Right at the top of the themes ‘sales speil’ it says all the bugs in the comments that are listed are currently being updated in a major update that should be released in the next couple of days. Just to give buyers confidence that it is in fact – updated…

this but of text has been there as long as I can remember!!!

I was looking to help others and would find it beneficial for buyers and sellers to have a more open forum for helping each other.

Still, your suggestions has been noted… and I ‘got over it’ a while ago. Will sleep peacefully now thanks :-) ...

323 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
familychoice says

We very much want feedback from buyers. In fact I wish there were much, much more. As far as the other post goes, besides the calling out and flagging, this thread was already doing a good job of discussing the very same topic, so we thought it was better to keep everything in one place :)

The post I made was asking for clarification and improvement on the conflict between sales pages and official Envato T&C’s, whereas this thread is discussing the creation of a customer area or forum. Two completely different issues, and I don’t want to take the the OP’s subject off-topic as he’s already requested we stick to his original topic.

As for biased forums or a ‘safe’ place for buyers to voice their problems – The current forum is the only fair solution. It is unrealistic to suggest that a forum exists where only one side can discuss matters without the other side being able to defend themselves. I appreciate there are generally more authors here than buyers but that is through choice, noone is stopping buyers coming here, and MODs do not unfairly lock up threads.

By ‘safe’ I mean a forum that is dedicated to customer issues, not authors complaining about the ratings system or their theme being rejected. A forum where the moderators aren’t authors and have a natural bias towards the concerns of authors. A forum safe from author abuse – the calling of names and ‘noob labelling’, the constant repetition of the ‘you’re lucky we’re even selling this product to you at such a ridiculously cheap price’ mantra. I also disagree with your last comment, there was nothing fair about the locking of the thread I started and I could see nothing in the forum T&C’s about ‘calling out’ either.

Apologies to the OP about raising my post again but it is related to the original topic, customers should be able to start threads that aren’t unfairly closed just because Mods who are also authors don’t agree with the subject matter. I find it quite bizarre that in a ‘marketplace’ the forum sections are so heavily biased towards sellers concerns and many of them seem so vociferous about the shortcomings of their customers. There is a genuine requirement for a dedicated customer area or forum. I tried starting a thread, it was closed, so much for that one.

Comments sections are moderated and ‘negative’ feedback can be removed at the authors request. They are not searchable, and provide no indication of how that particular theme will be supported in future when the author disappears to concentrate on new products.

148 posts
loveetc says

Comments sections are moderated and ‘negative’ feedback can be removed at the authors request. They are not searchable, and provide no indication of how that particular theme will be supported in future when the author disappears to concentrate on new products.

I did not know the comments on the product page are moderated and can be deleted. I thought everyone was free to post comment and author won’t be able to remove it.

Anyway looking at comments will give you idea about the support. You could see the support quality and average reply time etc.

From your previous posts, I think you are very much concerned about the future updates. You need to understand that no one will provide you support forever. But come on, you do not need any updates in PSD or HTML files. The WordPress themes will not stop working between version 3.4 and 3.5, they will need to be updated only if there is very major change in the WordPress core.

For example if I want to create a WordPress theme, I will see the current distribution and see if I am able to make the theme. I do not know if WordPress will release next software version with very huge changes in the core, and I do not know if I will be able to adopt the new changes in the core, so I wont make any promise for that.

If you are worried about the bugs in the current theme, again, looking at the comments in the comment section will help you (most probably other users will be facing same problem, so they will be complaining).

by
by
by
by
by
by